Builds Hardcore ROTM - PROJECT RASCAL - July 2005 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

trainrech said:
Have you sourced a sawzall to cut yourself out of the garage? Man, that thing has grown this summer!

No kidding! I will have to drop some tire pressure...

Sorry all - I have been slammed working and trying to make enough money to pay for all of my goodies.

Hopefully I'll get out there this weekend and get some stuff done. During the days this week I've been trying to track down all of the plumbing fittings for the transmission cooler, the power steering, and the fuel cell. Damn - talk about the national debt!!! That stuff is expensive.

woody said:
lookin NICE Bruce!!

Thanks for the encouragement - I'm startng to wonder if I'll ever get done...

JRFJ4- said:
His shop is waaaaay better than mine. I can't walk across the shop without tripping on compressor hose, oxy/acetylene hoses, extension cords, welding leads, walking around cherry picker, stepping over three German Shepherds, kicking empty beer cans and bottles. Then there is alway an oil slick of some kind. Then I put down oil dry and it stays for a month. Various nuts and bolts on the floor. Pieces of scrap metal. Oh I forgot about floor jacks. Fans to try keep down the Alabama heat.

So yes, way too neat and clean.

:flipoff2:

J.R.

As Mark stated - forced organization. I have a deal with my wife (until I get my shop built) that she'll always be able to park her car in the garage. Although lately this has been completely blown out the window.

I'll take a picture of the current state - much more like you describe...

:)

Git-R-Done!!!

Okay, that is enough redneck for me now ;)

BTW, I still have not replaced the steering tie rod on my 40 since the hammers. So I guess I am a bit slower than you ;)

Rascal said:
Thanks for the encouragement - I'm startng to wonder if I'll ever get done...

Bruce, you'll get it done. Pace yourself so you don't end up getting injured or burned out.

All of "little" and unexpected parts add up quickly. Look on the bright side.... You'll feel great knowing that you did the work yourself and think of all the money you saved.

Built Not Bought!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BUILT, NOT BOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT BOUGHT WITH DADDY'S CREDIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll be more proud of it if you do it yourself.

Keep after it.

:cheers:

J.R.

JRFJ4- said:
BUILT, NOT BOUGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT BOUGHT WITH DADDY'S CREDIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'll be more proud of it if you do it yourself.

Keep after it.

:cheers:

J.R.

Like many others on this board, I paid cash for the work to be done to build my junk. Don't believe in using a credit card to build a rig.

LOL - that's for sure.

Thanks for all of the encouragement!

Hopefully it will be running by Sunday. I have to make one more trip to a speed shop tomorrow morning for what will hopefully be the last AN fittings. It's funny - the fittings and hose to plumb up the fuel cell have cost more that the fuel cell :eek:

I'm going to mock up the drive shaft and bring it in on Monday to get shortened.

I test fit the fenders the other evening and it looks like they will work with the shock hoops - so I can final weld the hoops and pretty much have the front end buttoned up.

Between this and my daughter's soccer tournament it's going to be a busy/HOT weekend.

I'll take some work-in-progress pictures so you can see what it really looks like out there. :D

pics.. We need more pics ;)

fj40charles said:
Like many others on this board, I paid cash for the work to be done to build my junk. Don't believe in using a credit card to build a rig.

Thank GOD Sunray does not take credit cards :D

Need some ideas.

Can not get the engine to fire.

All of the electrical plugs and grounds are back as before I started - I marked everything pretty well. I'm getting spark to the plugs - at least no. 1 cylinder. The TBI injectors are spraying fuel.

I initially thought it was timing/distributor as I just put things back according to my marks. I have since pulled the distributor and reset it by bringing the mark on the harmonic balancer to zero on the little guage. Pulled the drivers side valve cover and verified that the no 1 cylinder valves were closed. Lined up the rotor with a contact on the distributor cap and made that the number 1 cylinder for the spark plug wire. Then I plugged the rest of the wires in clockwise per the firing order ( 1,8,4,3,6,5,7,2 ).

When i crank the engine I can get the distributor set to a spot where i get the faintest attempt at firing - but that's it. An the attempt is very infrequent.

I've checked the fusable link.

The transmission is in park. when I crank the engine it does not seem to spin as fast as it did with the manual transmission - i am assuming that is because I'm turning the pumps inside the 700R4.

I do not have the fuel cell in yet so i am running the feed and return lines into a 5 gallon gas can on the floor. Same fuel pump as before for now.

Starter was getting really hot so I quit and worked on the fuel cell plumbing and pump installation.

TIA

Rock Taxi said:
Maybe you stabbed the distributor 180 degrees off?

Ed

Thanks Ed!

I went to my daughter's soccer tournament tonight and was going throught everything I could think of and that's the conclusion I came to as well. But, (just for my education) isn't the process that I followed the proper way to install and setup a distributor? How do you know if you installed it 180 off or correctly - without trying to fire the engine? I guess I'm just trying to determine what I missed.

IT IS ALIVE!!!!

Ed correct call - 180' off... :rolleyes:

for those of you who thought the garage was too clean. Here's after working in it since Friday night...
IMG_0898-1.jpg
IMG_0899-1.jpg
IMG_0900-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom