Hardcore ROTM - PROJECT RASCAL - July 2005

Rascal

SILVER Star

Runs during the past year:

Cheeshead Invasion - Clayton - Broke a DS rear axle - actually Butch's fault :crybaby:
Lone Star Roundup - Katmecy - Broke DS rear spring :frown:
Tin bender's Jambo - the Hammers - on the gate Keeper to Wrecking Ball - Broke 1 DS rear Axle, 1 DS rear spring, 1 PS 1st Gen Longfield, and a PS motor mount. :eek:
Razorback Ramble - Superlift - Hot Springs, AR - DS rear Spring Pin. Really found out that I had broken the PS motor mount. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

I'm tired of breaking!

Here's the plan:

Keep:
engine - 350TBI

Replace:
SM420 w/ Sunray 700R4
Toyota TCase w/ Atlas II 4.3, 32 Spline upgrade, 1350 yokes, Short Tail housing, Cable Shifters
Rear Axle w/ Sunray Ford 9" - still working on the exact specs
Rear suspension w/ RockTaxi (Ed Westerbeck)4 Link, Coil Overs.
Front Axle w/ - you'll have to wait.

So far I have:
ordered the Atlas - will be in this Friday.
Pulled the engine, tranny, t-case.
Done some long needed cleanup from the PO.

Let the fun begin!

woody

unhelpful spotter
Staff member
Admin

nice frame plating :D

I love my motor mount setup...IMO, do that ;)

and, more pics!! What the ETA for completion? (Attica in just a few weeks ya know....lol)

Rascal

SILVER Star

woody said:
nice frame plating :D

I love my motor mount setup...IMO, do that ;)
Yes - this should be the last chapter in cleaning up the PO's bootie fab! Also - yes - I am going to copy your motor mount set up - I like it a lot!

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator

Rascal said:
Yes - this should be the last chapter in cleaning up the PO's bootie fab! Also - yes - I am going to copy your motor mount set up - I like it a lot!
Who is gonna fix yours???

:flipoff2:

How was the hard rock?

Mace

rock scientist..
Staff member
s-Moderator

Toyota tcase W atlas??

You doing a toy box??

Rascal

SILVER Star

Mace said:
Who is gonna fix yours???

:flipoff2:

How was the hard rock?
I'm going to ignore the first comment - Mr. break in the street in front of my house so I have to miss Moab...

On the second point - Just about the only thing we did not do that night was to renew our vows at a drive thru chappel - because they were closed. The Russian bar at the Mandelay Bay was awesome - I really liked the Chernobyl - 80 proof of 3 or 4 liquors - can't really remember. In & Out burger in a Limo is fun!

Rascal

SILVER Star

Here's a couple of pictures before I started...
cDSCF0003-1.jpg
DSCF0021-1.jpg

Last edited:

Rascal

SILVER Star

After talking/arguing with the "Wise One" I replaced my steering column. The newer (mine's an 81) FJ40's have a funky collapsible steering column. Butch explained to me that it would not work - I argued... Butch brought me a solid column to the meeting that same night.
IMG_0503-1.jpg

Rascal

SILVER Star

Getting ready for the rear tub work... Since this is an 81 the fuel tank is located underneath the tub. With the additional length of the 700R4 and atlas - I'm pretty sure I'll be loosing the stock fuel tank. If I can keep the tank I want to do a dovetail - If not - Rascal meet Sawsall - Sawsall meet Rascal...
IMG_0515-1.jpg
IMG_0517-1.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom