Hard starts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Whenever I don't use my '87 FJ60 for a few days, it's really hard to get started. I've got a pump on the gas pedal and turn the starter over several times. Anybody else experiencing this? What is it, and what's the fix? Fuel lines? Carburetor? Faulty gas cap? Seems like every mechanic has a different explanation.

But there must be some root reason that happens. Surely, when the truck was new, that probably didn't happen. I bought mine when it was 10 years old, so I can't be sure. It's just an annoyance, that's all.

If there's fuel in the bowl sight glass, then you don't have a pump issue. But @mwebfj60 is right, what you describe is completely normal, mostly.

Things you can do to improve hard starting, is to first make sure your plugs and wires are in good shape, and the timing is adjusted properly. Your battery and starter sound healthy, if they're not, address that issue. Finally, have your carb rebuilt...

Also, give the bowl a chance to fill with fuel. You have to pump several times and crank it a few times to fill it up. The fuel in the bowl has evaporated after a few days of inactivity and will be dry.

If after all that, you still have hard starts... it probably ain't going to get any better. About the only fix is to buy a new 4-Runner.

Remember, it's a 30 year old, carbureted engine. Remember what a bitch your three year old lawn mower is to start after pulling it out of the shed for the first time in the Spring? Your Cruiser is no different.

What's really annoying is how long it takes me to warm up in the morning. That first step out of bed hurts. My body sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies until around noon!

Enjoy the struggle man.

My FJ60 is tuned perfectly and has a new engine. Every time I start it after sitting overnight, I must pump 3-4 times and then it starts right up. If it is cold, I must full choke it and pump it 3-4 times. Just the nature of a carbureted fuel delivery. :)

If there's fuel in the bowl sight glass, then you don't have a pump issue. But @mwebfj60 is right, what you describe is completely normal, mostly.

Things you can do to improve hard starting, is to first make sure your plugs and wires are in good shape, and the timing is adjusted properly. Your battery and starter sound healthy, if they're not, address that issue. Finally, have your carb rebuilt...

Also, give the bowl a chance to fill with fuel. You have to pump several times and crank it a few times to fill it up. The fuel in the bowl has evaporated after a few days of inactivity and will be dry.

If after all that, you still have hard starts... it probably ain't going to get any better. About the only fix is to buy a new 4-Runner.

Remember, it's a 30 year old, carbureted engine. Remember what a bitch your three year old lawn mower is to start after pulling it out of the shed for the first time in the Spring? Your Cruiser is no different.

What's really annoying is how long it takes me to warm up in the morning. That first step out of bed hurts. My body sounds like a bowl of Rice Krispies until around noon!

Enjoy the struggle man.

My FJ60 is tuned perfectly and has a new engine. Every time I start it after sitting overnight, I must pump 3-4 times and then it starts right up. If it is cold, I must full choke it and pump it 3-4 times. Just the nature of a carbureted fuel delivery. :)
Thanks, buddy! You put an original 2F in, or go Chevy? If Chevy, I hope you're not expecting it to buck the Blue Book trend that this is one of the few vehicles that increase in value if in OEM shape!

Thanks, buddy! You put an original 2F in, or go Chevy? If Chevy, I hope you're not expecting it to buck the Blue Book trend that this is one of the few vehicles that increase in value if in OEM shape!
No Chevy for me. I rebuilt my 2F. I love the simplicity and low end torque. When I drive, I'm not in a hurry, so slow is ok with me:)

Cranking and pumping has been normal forever with my 60. I've found if just before turning it off I put the choke on and gun it a bit, that helps. I think it leaves a little fuel in carb, but maybe not, and it's my wishful thinking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom