Hard start, low idle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

redeye

SILVER Star
Threads
Hi everyone,
I just bought my first 4Runner, a 1987 5spd with 163K miles in great overall shape. Was an AZ truck for 31.5 of it's 33 years so minimal rust and I'm happy. Since NJ DMV is closed until who knows when, I want to try and resolve one issue myself while the truck is hanging out in the garage. It starts up every time, but not unless I keep my foot on the gas pedal and give it a few pumps as I turn the key. After it starts I do need to give it a little gas to keep it going. If I try to start it w/o touching the gas pedal it'll fire then stall immediately. If I mess with the idle screw after it's running it'll hum along just fine. I should also mention the exhaust smells a bit on the rich side as the engine is warming up.

I've been searching, searching, searching and have come across numerous old threads but I still cannot think of where to begin. The seller had done a tune-up, so the distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, and wires are new. The battery appears new. He mentioned it could be the cold start injector, but I've read that only comes into play if coolant temps are below 40F and it's HOT out.

Come to think of it, I turn the key (but not start) and do NOT hear anything sounding like a fuel pump starting up. Like nothing. Maybe it is and my ears are clogged I don't know.

I bought a paper copy of the FSM today and should have it in a couple days. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ed

Last edited:
"air van opening"?

I can pull the plugs and take a look.

Where are the pictures?!?!

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

@gnob where is that valve? And would you know how to troubleshoot it?

Anyone know where this thing is supposed to connect to? It's connected on the other side via a vacuum line just under the throttle cable.

IMG_1012.jpg

Sounds like vacuum leaks or improper vacuum routing. Also check the connector for the air flow meter. Definitely sounds like an air meter issue.

I tested the IAC valve - it had a result of 50.9 ohms, so that's within spec (38 to 59). The cold start injector read 3.8, so I believe that's good as well.

The cold start injector time switch read 30.9. The FSM states it would be 30-50ohms below 50 degrees, which is definitely was NOT when I tested. The ambient air temp was likely around 60-65 degrees and the truck hasn't been started in a few days.

So I guess the time switch is suspect??

EDIT: Well I didn't really read through your symptoms, doesn't sound like your issue is a heak soak issue like this TSB talks about. I guess very well could be that your cold start time switch is bad, and if you replace, might be a good idea to replace with the updated part number.

Thermo Time Switch Part Numbers - 87 22RE - Need Help - YotaTech Forums

There is a TSB regarding that thermal time switch, read it and see what you think.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom