HAM radio mounting options (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I didn’t mean to offend your hamness. I just know that where I typically go, that thing wouldn’t last a trip. :) Congrats on being a ham for so long?
Apologies, I didn’t mean to be snappy. I just prefer far radio signal propagation, DX that’s why position it high up there. I can fold it easily anytime I want to with that electric folding motor.

what is the easiest way to get a ham license?
I’m very sure you have a local ham radio club in your city. Google it, and nine out of 10 day hold classes, lessons for the exam and they also hold exam exam sessions. just contact them, they are always very happy to accommodate new/aspiring hams.
N4GDX

...... I just prefer far radio signal propagation, ...that’s why position it high up there............

I have a question on this.

I asked this signal question before and was told if I put the antenna on my front bull bar it's going to just as good of a signal vs if I attach it to my roof rack with a fold down.

I have my cb and cell repeater on the roof rack now .. but they get hit quite often with branches so I was thinking of moving them to the bull bar also. They really take a beating even on the spring mounts.

What is your thought on this?

I asked this signal question before and was told if I put the antenna on my front bull bar it's going to just as good of a signal vs if I attach it to my roof rack with a fold down.

I have my cb and cell repeater on the roof rack now .. but they get hit quite often with branches so I was thinking of moving them to the bull bar also. They really take a beating even on the spring mounts.

Every person you'll ask wil have a different answer to this, but from me, being a long time Ham operator, we have a saying, "Height is Might". So I always put my antennas up on top. but yes you're right they will get hit by low hanging branches if you're not paying attention. I don't do much trails in thicket / forest, but if I do I would remove the antenna while in it. anyway if I'm doing long distance DX, radio contest then I always put my antennas on the highest part the vehicle. Actually the best position for antenna wave propagation is at the center of the roof where the roof becomes the ground plane. but, again but this is for a radio operator perspective. If you're just talking to your buddies on the trail in a convoy close to each other it really will not matter. but to answer your question after the roof, the front/hood would would be better than the rear where it's blocked by the C-pillars. The antenna SWR(Standing Wave Ratio - measure of antenna efficientcy) will actually be negatively affected if antenna's radiatiing main whip is close to anything metal.

Best location is as high as possible with a metal ground plane underneath. So the roof. Bonus is that the roof is metal so it reduces your RF exposure (not that you'll be running enough power for it to be an issue, but it never hurts).

Height is might, but the only time I use a ham radio is when I'm in a convoy. I'm never trying to talk to the International Space Station from my Toyota. As such, I've never had a comms issue running my antenna on the bull bar.

For actual emergency comms, ham is not a real option for me, and I always have other methods should things go pear-shaped. Bull bar is fine, as long as super-long range hamming is not what you're after.

Height is might, but the only time I use a ham radio is when I'm in a convoy. I'm never trying to talk to the International Space Station from my Toyota. As such, I've never had a comms issue running my antenna on the bull bar.

For actual emergency comms, ham is not a real option for me, and I always have other methods should things go pear-shaped. Bull bar is fine, as long as super-long range hamming is not what you're after.

Just curious, what do you use for emergency comms? I'm aware of ham, inreach, and plb, so trying to learn what else is out there/what's best. I'm in the early planning phase of a cross country road trip so looking to have things all lined up.

Just curious, what do you use for emergency comms? I'm aware of ham, inreach, and plb, so trying to learn what else is out there/what's best. I'm in the early planning phase of a cross country road trip so looking to have things all lined up.
I have a ham radio, iPhone, and Garmin inReach, and have never had a comms failure between the three. There are plenty of opinions around, but for us, and we travel months every year, it's been bulletproof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom