HAM radio mounting options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Too funny... that's EXACTLY where I put mine, TODAY. Mine is an older Yaesu FT8800R. Where did you put your antenna? On the swingout? I went with the Diamond clip-on mount on the hatch, I think it was @Romer that posted it.

Ha... Funny. :) It’s a really good spot.
And yes...I mounted the antenna on my passenger swingout.
Just tweaked that install too... Will post a photo tomorrow.

Hoping someone here will know this. I found an old external speaker in my parts stash, I popped it open and the speaker is rated at 4 ohms impedance. The manual for my Yaesu says the external speaker should be 8 ohms. I tried it and it seems to work fine, but is there any long term risk? I don't want to fry the tiny output amp in the radio just to save buying a new $14 speaker.

Thanks for the ideas on mounting locations. I decided to put the speaker on the driver's side, above the dead pedal. Will post photos when I get this all done.

Hoping someone here will know this. I found an old external speaker in my parts stash, I popped it open and the speaker is rated at 4 ohms impedance. The manual for my Yaesu says the external speaker should be 8 ohms. I tried it and it seems to work fine, but is there any long term risk? I don't want to fry the tiny output amp in the radio just to save buying a new $14 speaker.

Thanks for the ideas on mounting locations. I decided to put the speaker on the driver's side, above the dead pedal. Will post photos when I get this all done.
I would highly recommend against using a 4 ohm speaker on a device that specifically states 8 ohms. Could it possibly work out fine, yes, but not worth the risk in my opinion. Using a 4 ohm speaker effectively causes the internal amp to work twice as hard and put out more power (if its little amp can produce more than 2 watts that is).

Maybe not an apples to apples analogy, but it's like running an engine that redlines at 5,000 RPM at 10,000 RPM.

That makes total sense. OK, new speaker in Amazon cart. Thanks!

If you have a second 4ohm speaker, you can run them in series for 8 ohms

Probably not much help. Mounting a full radio up front is tricky. I went with the FTM-400XDR (detached faceplate). I mounted the radio on the underside of the wing fit kit of the ARB drawers and the faceplate on a RAM mount mounted to the silver trim piece on the right-hand side of the radio unit.

Good luck! You'll never go back after using the HAM.

Since the speaker is on the radio that you put under the drawer wing, how do you hear the radio? I have the same radio, and am trying to design a good way to make it work.

Since the speaker is on the radio that you put under the drawer wing, how do you hear the radio? I have the same radio, and am trying to design a good way to make it work.

The built-in speaker is only so-so...so I run an external speaker that is MUCH more capable. I have the speaker mounted on the window sill below the back side window pointed forward. Works a charm.

The built-in speaker is only so-so...so I run an external speaker that is MUCH more capable. I have the speaker mounted on the window sill below the back side window pointed forward. Works a charm.

Interesting. I’d love to see some photos!

Exactly this. I use this (Amazon product ASIN B000246VPM) I put industrial velcro on it and stuck it to the top of the drawer right above the radio pointed slightly forward. It works well for me.

Exactly this. I use this (Amazon product ASIN B000246VPM) I put industrial velcro on it and stuck it to the top of the drawer right above the radio pointed slightly forward. It works well for me.

Nice!
I’m using velcro on mine too. :)
But I have my rear panels covered with it, so my options are a little wider.

**To others reading along...
-One note on the Yaesu I have and external speakers:
Make sure it’s a STEREO plug (three contacts separated by two black bands like on standard headphones. Reason is... -Even though it’s just one speaker...this radio feeds the two separate tuners to the contacts separately. If you add an after market speaker that’s mono (one black band) you’ll only get proper volume on one of the two frequencies you’re monitoring.

I learned this the hard way. ;)

Last edited:
Nice!
I’m using velcro on mine too. :)
But I have my rear panels covered with it, so my options are a little wider.

**To others reading along...
-One note on the Yaesu I have and external speakers:
Make sure it’s a STEREO plug (three contacts separated by two black bands like on standard headphones. Reason is... -Even though it’s just one speaker...this radio feeds the two separate tuners to the contacts separately. If you add an after market speaker that’s mono (one black band) you’ll only get proper volume on one of the two frequencies you’re monitoring.

I learned this the hard way. ;)

What Yaesu radio do you have? I have the FT-8800R, and nothing in the docs or an on-line search say anything about needing a stereo plug on the external speaker. The owners manual even says "2 conductor" for the rear speaker jack. I'm getting even sound on both sides from my speaker.

What Yaesu radio do you have? I have the FT-8800R, and nothing in the docs or an on-line search say anything about needing a stereo plug on the external speaker. The owners manual even says "2 conductor" for the rear speaker jack. I'm getting even sound on both sides from my speaker.

400 XDR.

Might be different on yours.
I don’t know.
But definitely true on mine...and nothing in the manual either.

Here:

That is the radio I have. I haven't noticed any issues. 🤷‍♂️

Guess I'll have to look into it.

Only matters for external speaker.
Your speaker might have a stereo plug...so all good...but if not, you still might not notice an issue until trying to pick up voice on the second frequency. Top tuner fine...but lower needs that second one.

Easily solved with the right plug...

400 XDR.

Might be different on yours.
I don’t know.
But definitely true on mine...and nothing in the manual either.

OK, totally different radio. Phew... you had me wondering there for a bit.

From what I can see no one here talked about antenna mounting. What do you guys have and where? I’m mounting a VHF soon, looking for inspiration.

1575147018033.jpeg

Nice. Now all I need is a swing out rear to mount my antenna - bargain!

someone asked for inspiration… ;)

Same antenna can go on your hood...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom