HAM radio mounting options (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

someone asked for inspiration… ;)

Same antenna can go on your hood...

Bumping an old thread, but have you noticed any drop in performance from having the antenna mounted to the rear bumper that would have you re-think the position? Looking to do something similar and it seems no matter where you put it, there is a compromise. I would rather not have it in sight and not have it be too much of a height restriction, hence the desire for the rear bumper mount.

The only other thing I could think of is if I decide to get a 270 awning at some point, it could be in the way.

Thanks!

Bumping an old thread, but have you noticed any drop in performance from having the antenna mounted to the rear bumper that would have you re-think the position? Looking to do something similar and it seems no matter where you put it, there is a compromise. I would rather not have it in sight and not have it be too much of a height restriction, hence the desire for the rear bumper mount.

The only other thing I could think of is if I decide to get a 270 awning at some point, it could be in the way.

Thanks!

No issues.
My antenna is actually less obstructed back there because it sits higher—a good portion is higher than the roof. I attached it to the top of my tire mount...so it sits much higher than the bumper.

Range is pretty spectacular, actually.

When not needed, I just unscrew the antenna and screw on a small stainless steel cap. Quick and very tidy.

Last edited:
No issues.
My antenna is actually less obstructed back there because it sits higher—a good portion is higher than the roof. I attached it to the top of my tire mount...so it sits much higher than the bumper.

Range is pretty spectacular, actually.

When not needed, I just unscrew the antenna and screw on a small stainless steel cap. Quick and very tidy.

What are your thoughts on putting it on the front bumper? I have an arb bumper and it has 2 antenna mounts on it.

What are your thoughts on putting it on the front bumper? I have an arb bumper and it has 2 antenna mounts on it.

Easy to mount on front bull bar or hood, but I found its constant swaying distracting/annoying while driving. Very happy with it in back.

I have a bull bar antenna on my 70 Series, and don’t notice it at all. For the first week I noticed it a little bit, but now I never think about it. On my 200, I’m not yet sure where I’ll put the antenna, or how I’ll mount up a radio; I’m working through it now. In terms of performance, I’ve been able to hit any repeaters anyone else in a convoy can, and it works fine in the convoy for SSB.

I put my CB and WiFi repeater on the ARB roof rack with fold downs.

Rugged ridge light mount, and cb fold down.

HAM is next.

antenna-mounts.jpg

74648C83-10C5-45FB-BCF1-249661EAEF02.jpeg

mended up with mine on the berry can basket.

C46309DF-FCAA-4592-9FF5-700DE85E6CA7.jpeg

there’s my dual band antenna on my Slee rear bumper. My radio face plate is on the A pillar just above the dash. The radio is attached to the Trek boxx on the right side under the wing. It’s a great set up.

View attachment 2286643
there’s my dual band antenna on my Slee rear bumper. My radio face plate is on the A pillar just above the dash. The radio is attached to the Trek boxx on the right side under the wing. It’s a great set up.

@Mendocino

I like that antenna location. How did you run the coax into the cabin?

In my 80 I run a Ram mount / Jotto desk setup... When I travel a Jotto Desk mount gets bolted on top and then the tablet is placed for Nav.

With some good click lock 3M and some custom bent brackets I've come up with the below -

I'll do the same in the 200 as its a solid setup.

Cheers -

john

View attachment 1967344
I know this is old but where do you mount the main body of the transceiver?

for those asking ideas where/how to mount antenna, this is the Diamond K-9000 antenna motorized fold motor, so my old ass dont have to get out of the truck to fold the antenna. Not recomended for heavy antennas. Im using a dual band Diamond HB-770 antenna.

I know this is old but where do you mount the main body of the transceiver?

It's on some other thread, but I've seem people mount them under the driver seat there is some hole it fits into there.

Also Under the glove box that flat panel comes off easy by pinching the clips, and it can be installed there under the glove box.

I have not installed mine yet .. just been following some of the threads.

for those asking ideas where/how to mount antenna, this is the Diamond K-9000 antenna motorized fold motor, so my old ass dont have to get out of the truck to fold the antenna. Not recomended for heavy antennas. Im using a dual band Diamond HB-770 antenna.

Seems like having the antenna up that high would result in it being ripped off on most trails I’ve driven. Have you taken it out?

Seems like having the antenna up that high would result in it being ripped off on most trails I’ve driven. Have you taken it out?
NOPE. Been a ham for 31 years.. Im aware of my surroundings. But thank you for the reminder.

Last edited:
NOPE. Been a ham for 31 years.. Im aware of my surroundings. But thank you for the reminder.
I didn’t mean to offend your hamness. I just know that where I typically go, that thing wouldn’t last a trip. :) Congrats on being a ham for so long?

I didn’t mean to offend your hamness. I just know that where I typically go, that thing wouldn’t last a trip. :) Congrats on being a ham for so long?

what is the easiest way to get a ham license?

what is the easiest way to get a ham license?

There are many online study guides / practice resources available then once you feel confident schedule a test with a local VEC

Still doing some wire clean up and experimenting with a spot to mount the SPOD but I mounted my Anytone 578 DMR radio on a swivel mount that slides behind the panel, no drilling needed, it is firmly in place, will see how it holds up there.

Will post some more pics when finished.

DMR_Radio.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom