Ham class & test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
At the meeting last night a request to have another Ham (Amateur Radio) class and test was discussed. So let's do it.

Attendance - If you are interested, please post so we know how many test packages to order.

Date: Saturday 2/29/2020 Let's leap into this :rofl:

Location: Kings Park Library. 9000 Burke Lake Rd. Burke, VA, 22015-1683 (about a mile west of Kilroy's)

Time: 10:00 - 4:00

Lunch: Lunch will be provided by the club.

What to bring:
- A printed copy of all of the possible test questions. See homework below
- A government issued ID (drivers license)
- Social Security Number or an FRN (FCC Registration Number) issued by the FCC.
- -The FRN is preferred so you don't have to disclose your SSN to everyone in the license process.
- - You can get info regarding the FRN here: Getting an FCC Registration Number (FRN) in the Universal Licensing System (ULS)
- - Apply for the FRN here: FCC Registration System
- - If you want to upgrade and take the General or Extra test and already have a Technician license you have an FRN. Find it here: SEARCH - Find Licenses, Applications & Ownership Information

Homework - Ten year old kids (and Jeff) have passed the test. It looks intimidating but once you get into it, it is not that hard. In the past we have had a 100% pass rate. The test has 35 questions. Every possible test question with answer (letter in parenthesis) is available here http://www.arrl.org/files/file/VEs/2018-2022 Tech Class Pool Final with errata.pdf
If anyone has access to a high speed printer, please bring some extra copies for those who forget to bring their copy to the class.

Grad School - The class and test will be for the Technician class license. If you would like to take the General or Extra class test, let me know so we can order those test packages, as well. The General & Extra licenses get you "talk around the world" privileges.

Info - Any thing you would like to know about ham radio is available from the ARRL website here: Home

Questions - If you have any questions and/or suggestions, please let me know.

Ed
Updated 12/23/19

Last edited:
Count me in

Do you have to be a member to attend?

Yes & no.

Anyone can join us to take the test. The ARRL will post on their website that we are offering a test session. Anyone (outside of the club) who wants to join us to take the test must contact us in advance to reserve a seat. Also, there is a $15 fee to take the test - pass or fail. All of the money goes to the ARRL to cover admin fees.

The class is for CLCC members only. And, CLCC will pay for the cost of the test for those members who pass the test. Hopefully, all of them. So, it might be worth it to join the club.

Hope this helps.

Yes & no.

Anyone can join us to take the test. The ARRL will post on their website that we are offering a test session. Anyone (outside of the club) who wants to join us to take the test must contact us in advance to reserve a seat. Also, there is a $15 fee to take the test - pass or fail. All of the money goes to the ARRL to cover admin fees.

The class is for CLCC members only. And, CLCC will pay for the cost of the test for those members who pass the test. Hopefully, all of them. So, it might be worth it to join the club.

Hope this helps.
It would be the polite thing to do.

Free class and test? It seems worth the $25 annual CLCC membership. But hanging out with the CLCC gang ...priceless!

I'd be interested as well. Also I've been meaning to join the club but was wondering why a TLCA membership is required.

Where can I sign up for the club?

I need to do this. Once a date is selected I should be a go.

I would be willing to study up and take the General examination. The class would be a good refresher and last minute cram session. Although, I should probably get on the "air waves" a bit and practice flexing my Technician skills...

KN4JIK ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom