Ham class & test (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think Patrick is looking for a place where CLCC could "hang out", a frequently other club members may be monitoring, ect....

I'm sure there is a repeater with room on it to add a club "Net" if someone is willing to make nice with the owner of the antenna.
Maybe a club ham meeting on X frequently at Y time.

Join your local Ham club, listen to their Nets or Meetings to get a feel for how it works.

I think Patrick is looking for a place where CLCC could "hang out", a frequently other club members may be monitoring, ect....

I'm sure there is a repeater with room on it to add a club "Net" if someone is willing to make nice with the owner of the antenna.
Maybe a club ham meeting on X frequently at Y time.

Join your local Ham club, listen to their Nets or Meetings to get a feel for how it works.
I understand that, I just think it will be a bit complicated having our own hang out repeater....but i may be wrong...

I think Patrick is looking for a place where CLCC could "hang out", a frequently other club members may be monitoring, ect.....

Bingo. I never know what freqs to monitor when I'm driving around. I know it would not be "private" since it'd be published but it'd be cool to have a default freq to monitor knowing some friendlies might be on it.

Bingo. I never know what freqs to monitor when I'm driving around. I know it would not be "private" since it'd be published but it'd be cool to have a default freq to monitor knowing some friendlies might be on it.
Yeah, sounds good, but its a bit more complicated then setting up a repeater on the top of the Cove.

The challenges are not technical. Repeaters are technically easy.

Most (if not all) of the ham repeater frequency pairs in the DC area are already assigned to hams and ham clubs. There is a frequency coordination process that needs to be done I order to get a freq pair. See tmarc.org

The second challenge is finding an antenna site. Availability in the DC area is limited due to dense govt and cellular need for sites. Antenna sites are not cheap. An interference study is required. If it is a tower site, an engineering study to determine the antenna and coax cable wind and ice load on the tower. There is a long term lease. And on and on and on....

Sorry to be a bummer. Let’s decide on a meet time on a local repeater. Out of courtesy we should contact the repeater owner/club to let them know that we would like to use their repeater. We could also do a “talk in” on meeting nights while we are driving to Kilroy’s.

A few remote testing options coming up this month if anyone is interested in getting your Ham license squared away. Look for test sessions labeled as "Remote":

A few remote testing options coming up this month if anyone is interested in getting your Ham license squared away. Look for test sessions labeled as "Remote":

Trying for round 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom