H55F Output Shaft Wear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

Posting in the 60-series section as I have a 5 speed transmission out of a 1986 Middle East-spec FJ62 (FJ62LV-MCV) that I am in the process of rebuilding to put in my FJ40. The transmission output shaft has wear where it "meshes" with the transfer case input gear. The input gear appears to have absolutely no wear.

My question to you experts is would it be better to source a new transmission output shaft or go for the McNamara input gear? Or something else entirely? I am having trouble sourcing the shaft in Saudi and elsewhere so far...

Post discussing the McNamara gear:
McNamara Gear

Picture of output shaft wear (my picture skills coupled with a camera phone are not good):

20160616_164004.jpg

@orangefj45 Georg - I am humbly requesting your opinion and would be grateful for your advice on this. You had previously talked about what to do in this situation and I would like to know if your opinion has changed.

Thanks to all in advance for your assistance!

-Geoff

New Toyota (uhh umm) output shafts are no longer available. But I guess you already discovered that.
So that option is off the table.

If McNamara is still selling that beefed up gear, that seems like the best option.

Then drive it till the whole thing wears out. But by then, the trannys won't be available any longer. So if you want to keep your cruiser another decade or so, pony up now and buy a new H55F while it's still available.

Toyota has been making this gearbox for over 30 years. The party won't last forever.

The shaft may not be available from Toyota any longer ....... but they're stills available from the OEM manufacturer. I might have one in stock.
Your other option would be a McNamara gear or a home-made version of it.

Georg @ Valley Hybrids & Cruiser Brothers

The shaft may not be available from Toyota any longer ....... but they're stills available from the OEM manufacturer....

Hmmmm...Would the H55F input shaft 33311-60120 be available from that mysterious source too? It's NLA from Toyota.

I can find out tomorrow.

:)

And I might have one at the shop.

The shaft may not be available from Toyota any longer ....... but they're stills available from the OEM manufacturer. I might have one in stock.
Your other option would be a McNamara gear or a home-made version of it.

Thanks Georg! I'll give you a call!

-Geoff

Just want to give a quick shout out to Georg at Valley Hybrids for tracking down the needed shaft! Yet another example of great customer service that he is known for. Much appreciated Georg!

-Geof

Thanks Geof!!!!

Happy to help.

Glad that worked out!

I've got a couple more shafts on order. They just take a little while to get here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom