H55F differences according to year and engine type (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Goodmorning everyone
I would like to know if I can to fit a : 33030-60850 in place of : 33030-60380 which is the original replacement for a BJ42LV-MCW 1982 3B engine
and what are the possible differences ?
thank you

Giacomo

Hey guys,

can no one help me ? too technical question?
maybe I should move my request to the section dedicated to the 60-Series Wagon where the presence of the guru Georg of Cruiserbrothers is greater ?
thank you

Giacomo

You should search the forum for "h55f input". My memory is that all 1hz used a longer input shaft than the B engines. There's a lot of good info in old threads.

Giacomo
The input shaft of the B/3B is a very long 21 spline unit.
The input shaft of 1HZ is shorter 21 spline

(...and the bandierante is very short 21 spline).

Your best option is to find a 3B input 33311-60111 from 1986-1993 H55 or H41 (4.8:1 1st gear) as a donor. This will be from a transmission with "ears" on the front bearing retainer and should have a rubber sealed input main bearing.
This can be put in most (1986-1997) H55's. In the US 33030-60450 is the most commonly available new 5 speed and still under production at Toyota. Less than an hour labor to swap the input.

The 5 speed 40 series top plate is harder to find and this places the shifter 3" forward. The 70 and 60 series H55 are all rear set shift towers and modifications will have to be made to fit.

Nothing from the 1982 system can be used.

Last edited:
Thank you rick_d

so in summary you recommend buying 33030-60450 (most commonlyavailable new 5 speed ) disassemble its input shaft and reassemble the 3B input 33311-60111 ?
but the input shaft for H55F 3B is not 33311-60080 ?

Giacomo

bj input.PNG

you should always look for the latest production part that fits your application. We need to fit a late model transmission.

Hi rick_d

therefore ascertained that the 2 components can be assembled together,
but are the gear ratios the same ?
and there are no physical problems of interference ( shift lever ) in the assembly ?
and does it pair well with the 3b engine ?

Giacomo

the 60850 AND the 60450 h55 will accept the 60111 input shaft. Also remember to get the 33131-60050 bearing retainer. Buy the least expensive new transmission.

Not to add confusion, but the top plates are different from 60/70 series to 40 series and the 40 series are very hard to find
You can use the sheet metal cover with the 33030-60850 transmission but will have to be cut to fit the aluminum top plate

I put a h55 in a 1982 FJ40 in 2001 and had the correct top plate. The shift lever system for transfer case is for 40 series only. If you can find a transfer case lever for h55 fj40/bj42 it is easy. I used a 70 series transfer shifter and specifically the 1990 PZJ75 shift arm which puts the transfer lever forward. You cannot use a shift gate so you can have 2hi-2low neutral 4 hi-4 low
pzj.PNG

Hi rick_d

I have a bit of confusion after your explanation .....
what is sheet metal cover?
also the top cover is very difficult to find ....
at this point I believe that this gearbox is almost impossible to mount on the 3B engine, .......
or am I wrong ?

Giacomo

easy to mount transmission, but you have to have a 3B/13BT input shaft AND input bearing retainer which parts are clearly shown above.

I would advise starting a new thread in the 40 series area AFTER reviewing all "putting H55 in a FJ40 " threads in search function. The diesel section is not the correct venue.

Thank you rick_d

I have started a new thread in the 40 series area,for now no answer but I am confident ...

Giacomo

Less than an hour labor to swap the input.

Rick could you elaborate on this? Is this with no transfer case bolted to the back? I put together a puller from stuff to pull the front counter shaft bearing on a H42. That allowed the counter shaft to drop giving plenty of clearance between the gear in front. With a transfer case attached won't get the same counter shaft drop. Have the H55F transmission and transfer case from a BJ42 I want to use with a 2F.

Giacomo
The input shaft of the B/3B is a very long 21 spline unit.
The input shaft of 1HZ is shorter 21 spline

(...and the bandierante is very short 21 spline).

Your best option is to find a 3B input 33311-60111 from 1986-1993 H55 or H41 (4.8:1 1st gear) as a donor. This will be from a transmission with "ears" on the front bearing retainer and should have a rubber sealed input main bearing.
This can be put in most (1986-1997) H55's. In the US 33030-60450 is the most commonly available new 5 speed and still under production at Toyota. Less than an hour labor to swap the input.

The 5 speed 40 series top plate is harder to find and this places the shifter 3" forward. The 70 and 60 series H55 are all rear set shift towers and modifications will have to be made to fit.

Nothing from the 1982 system can be used.

Question, you mention less than an hour labor to swap the input? @Living in the Past had the same question, just kind of curious.

Raw transmission no t case. ridiculous to think it could be done with t case on.

Buy a second input bearing and press on. Saves lots of time.

Following the FSM, there are little steps but the big stuff is below.
remove the rear most output shaft bearing
the staked nut on 5th gear and pull that assembly. Remember to have puller get 2 teeth per side and try to be inboard of rotating edge.
the rear counter shaft
the front counter shaft
the input.

use knuckle lube non moly to hold needle bearings in input on reassembly.

"double engagement" means two gears at same time to lock transmission up. Reverse this before finishing the job.

Again, thanks to sensei Amauri Nunes for teaching me this.

I have also had the team at Cabe Toyota charge one hours labor to switch the input out.

Raw transmission no t case. ridiculous to think it could be done with t case on.

Buy a second input bearing and press on. Saves lots of time.

Following the FSM, there are little steps but the big stuff is below.
remove the rear most output shaft bearing
the staked nut on 5th gear and pull that assembly. Remember to have puller get 2 teeth per side and try to be inboard of rotating edge.
the rear counter shaft
the front counter shaft
the input.

use knuckle lube non moly to hold needle bearings in input on reassembly.

"double engagement" means two gears at same time to lock transmission up. Reverse this before finishing the job.

Again, thanks to sensei Amauri Nunes for teaching me this.

I have also had the team at Cabe Toyota charge one hours labor to switch the input out.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom