H55 leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Usually its the t/case that does the leaking. Might be coming out of the gearbox cover. Just soak it in solvent and then pressure blast it a few days later.
Its not from the t/case oil going uphill is it?

My transmission leaks into the transfer case. I found out because the transfer was so full it was pushing oil out of the transfer breather.

I recently got my H55 and transfer fully rebuilt and it’s still damp on the sides.. I think it’s the seal around the shifter tower.

What’s the deal with the mainbox leaking into the transfer? Is there a solution for that? I think my mainbox is filling my PTO, is that a thing?

Sorry for all the questions haha.

Trans to T-case seal, damaged drain plug/gasket and nosecone seal. If you need any help with parts, we (Cruiser Outfitters) stock all of the seals, gaskets, bearings and full rebuild kits for the H55F. Or if things are really bad, we have full transmissions and t-cases too :D

What’s the deal with the mainbox leaking into the transfer?

There is a seal that keeps the 2 lots of oil separate. Usually when the seal fails the oil gets pumped uphill into the gearbox and this can be cured cheaply with a hose that connects to the filler holes.
However , if the oil is running downhill, it cant be fixed without dismantling the whole lot.

Mine is doing the latter. I recently removed the fill plug for the transfer and there was a slight vacuum in the case. That made me think that this may accelerate oil transfer from the transmission to the transfer. Because of the location of the PTO box I was not able to connect a balance tube between the two so I went from the transmission to the PTO fill plug. I am testing now to see if this pressure equalization will slow the bleeding.

@Josh NZ ...... "I recently got my H55 and transfer fully rebuilt and it’s still damp on the sides.. I think it’s the seal around the shifter tower."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's good that you don't own any vintage Land Rovers. Dampness, seepage and drip pans were a way of life. :)

@Josh NZ ...... "I recently got my H55 and transfer fully rebuilt and it’s still damp on the sides.. I think it’s the seal around the shifter tower."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's good that you don't own any vintage Land Rovers. Dampness, seepage and drip pans were a way of life. :)

I know what you mean. I’ve had 6 of them! That’s why I graduated to landcruisers, for supposedly less work in between drives

Well, took the transfer fill plug out and nothing came out, stuck my pinky in the hole and came out wet, but couldn’t tell if it was residual since I had latex gloves on. Renoved the transmission fill plug and got maybe half a quart out. Drained both and refilled with fresh fluid. Then made/installed a hose between the two fill plugs. Used clear pvc tube so I could observe some. Don’t know how long clear pvc tubing will hold up to gear lube so will probably need to replace it with oil line at some time?

568840AD-1087-47B8-9F7A-E72DA3A8B5C6.jpeg

When you drained them did you measure how much came out of each? My only recommend is my experience
in the last two years I've seen a H55 grenade the front bearing on a 13BT and my own H55 from my 12HT. In both
cases the transmission had been draining into the t case. So if that is the case, I highly recommend pulling the front
transmission cover and replacing the front lower bearing on the lower shaft. It can be done without taking the transmission
apart. In my 12HT, the case showed shiny snowflakes, and the outer race had severe scrub marks and the inner rollers were
making metal. The transmission works fine after replacing just that bearing. All the other internals were inspected and
fine.

G'Day Fella's,

Good to see you have got this fixed.
I actually like the clear hose, so you can see things at work.
I did the same thing myself, after having the same oil leak problem.
Here's the link; Landcruiser G/Box-T/Case Oil Leak Fix

Don't forget to de-grease all the leaked out oil, off the outside of the G/box and T/case.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

It could also be residual oil surfacing after cleaning. Clean again and monitor. If multiple cleanings do not clear up evident leakage it is safe to assume that the leak is active. One or two cleaning attempts may not be sufficent.

A quick sniff can help determine that. Gear oil and engine oil have totally different olfactory presentations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom