H55 leaks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my engine is tilted back so any leak on the rear of the engine will bring oil there
yours looks very clean compared to mine, but could suggest rear seal.
oil pressure sender was a source on mine too.

A quick sniff can help determine that. Gear oil and engine oil have totally different olfactory presentations.
+1

Also Coldtaco, the fact that the leaking oil is black, may be an indicator that it's from the engine.

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Thats engine oil. Try some power steering pump reconditioner to soften up the seal, it takes about a 1000 mile to work or 1609.34 klms

Anyone use this or other snake oil?

BB57B714-D4A8-4DE5-8C76-A87030619A82.jpeg

Hello,

There is a way to tell. If the label or the MSDS states that the product contains "organic esters" or "petroleum distillates," then it is the good stuff.

Organic esters have an effect on oil viscosity and thus reduce flow around leaks. They also dissolve some of the carbon build up in an engine. Petroleum distillates also modify viscosity.

Usually these oils have proprietary compositions. However, by law manufacturers are required to list components that might be hazardous. Chemicals like esters and additional petroleum distillates are in this category, and the manufacturer is legally compelled to list them in order to warn users.

The label says it is an irritant, a detail that suggests it is not snake oil.

So please check the label and the MSDS.

Juan

Hello,

Took the time to check the MSDS and specifications.

It does contain organic esters. It looks legit from the information available.

Juan

Often these fluid transfer problems are caused by a blocked t-case vent. It causes the t-case to pressurized when hot and have a vacuum when cold. The transmission gladly accepts any oil pushed past the seal because it is well vented through the shifter.

Adding a transfer tube equalizes the pressure and fluid never actually has to transfer though it. It works fine as long as you drive on flat ground.

I prefer adding a vent tube to someplace high and dry.

I just installed a bypass hose for now. Maybe when I get around to change the rear main I will also change the seal between the transmission and transfer case

Did you end up using the bars leak for the rear main? I think I’m in the same boat as you. Also, how has the bypass hose been working so far?

Thank you!

I have not used anything to try and stop the rear main leak. I think I have seen some signs of fluid in the bypass hose, I used a clear hose. It seems that I sometimes see some fluid in the lower part of the hose when hot/warm, but seems like when cold the fluid is out of the hose. So, don't know if there is any transfer of fluid or not. At some point I need to make sure the vent on the transfer case is good.

I had the same experience with my oil migrating to the t-case but the hose didn't work for me .. the re seal process in the BF1A it's very straight forward and " simple " for a t.case work keeping in mind it can be done part by part without need to drop down the complete unit ( BF1A ) in one piece to do it ..

Anyone use this or other snake oil?

I used Lucas power steering reconditioner and it worked well. All Hail Prince of Darkness.

The mechanic who told me to do it said it softened the rubber in the main seal

Lucas power steering stop leak fixed my seeping steering box as well. My main seal leaks a couple drops wherever I park it, but I haven't noticed a change on the dipstick.

And my TC to Trans equalizer hose I built fixed my oil movement problem. It was draining my transfer case and overfilling my transmission to the point that the shaft seal was leaking. When I pull the transmission to do the clutch I'll fix all the seals, but for now the hose works great.

my h55 rear nose cone is leaking. tranny is new three years ago. fj62 transfercase also rebuilt at the same time. both work flawlessly but just have a leak. can i take the nose cone off with the tranny still in the truck or will this require dropping it to seal it up?

edit. i see i posted in the 70 series forum but it is relevant to the h55 tranny!

my h55 rear nose cone is leaking. tranny is new three years ago. fj62 transfercase also rebuilt at the same time. both work flawlessly but just have a leak. can i take the nose cone off with the tranny still in the truck or will this require dropping it to seal it up?

edit. i see i posted in the 70 series forum but it is relevant to the h55 tranny!

Can you snap a picture of what you are calling the rear nose cone of the H55F?

sorry i can’t. my truck is in the body shop after hitting a deer

it’s the cover over 5th gear. i’m not really sure what it’s called.

sorry i can’t. my truck is in the body shop after hitting a deer

it’s the cover over 5th gear. i’m not really sure what it’s called.

I'm just trying to sort out what you are calling the "h55 rear nose cone" to perhaps offer some help

Can you circle it here?

1602881113489.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom