Wanted H41 transmission for an 81 bj42 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd possibly go with an H55 if the price is right but more than likely looking for an h41 to replace my H42 for a lower first gear. I live in Portland Oregon but road trip a fair amount. I know they are common outside of canada so if somebody has some insight where to look besides, "look in australia" that would be helpful as well.

I have some new oem h41 transmission for sale - 1700 USD
Please PM me for more information if you are interested.

Alternatively - if you consider to keep your housing - my h41 nos gear and shaft set could be used to convert your h42 to h41

Uups - didn't read the headline thoroughly: they have the 2f input shaft. You'd need to keep your input shaft and front cover.

Ugg... Me, too. Missed the B motor part.

I have a bj42 diesel cruiser imported from Canada. It has to be a transmission that came from a bj42 they are different than what came with the gas engine.

Yes, or you can install the proper 'B' engine input shaft if the Trans needs a teardown.

Spike Strip are suggesting I use my h42 input shaft and case and put h41 gears into it? Sounds like over my head. Plus I do know from experience once I start getting creative like this I run into problems. I buy all the stuff and find out the hard way that h41 gears won't fit into an h42 case because they are 99% the same but don't have a notch cut out for the bigger gear to clear (or something like that). I'm afraid of getting too creative and running into snags......... I'd rather just buy a used h41 that came out of a bj42 cruiser sitting in someones garage from their h55 swap. I appreciate the reply though.

Last edited:
Just to be clear the H42 input shaft will not switch with the one from a H41. You also need to be sure input from other transmission will match. Prior to 8/80 are different. 10/85 they changed again. H41 and H55F share the same input shaft. A loose four speed without a transfer case attached the input shaft can be switched without tearing the transmission down pulling the front bearing for the counter shaft allows enough clearance for the input shaft to be pulled. Just need to deal with the loose needle bearings on the end of the input gear.

I'd possibly go with an H55 if the price is right but more than likely looking for an h41 to replace my H42 for a lower first gear. I live in Portland Oregon but road trip a fair amount. I know they are common outside of canada so if somebody has some insight where to look besides, "look in australia" that would be helpful as well.

if you want to go with an H55, I have an H55 with B input shaft out of a BJ60 from Canada, it has a 34 mm transfer case still attached to it.
Buy the combo and drop it in.
I'm in Helena MT and can ship it.

Thanks for the props Spike. I have a diesel H41 torn down at the moment ready for rebuilding. It will be $1500 when it’s done, and can be ready in a couple of weeks. I’ve got several carbs and a couple of axles to knock out first.

You’ve seen one of the axles! :rolleyes:

I have what may or may not be an H41 coming my way that I will not be using. Getting here in the next couple of weeks. Might be a possibility if you're not in a big hurry. Fastenal from the east coast. Mystery 1984 BJ40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom