GX470 with nav replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thanks ill check it out. yeah it definitely uses gps and so do cell phones. not worth it tho.
do you remember if you had a second screen protector on it?

no mine came with only one piece of protective plastic over the screen ..... it was definitely meant to be removed.

thanks ill check it out. yeah it definitely uses gps and so do cell phones. not worth it tho.
do you remember if you had a second screen protector on it?

You are correct, all the antenna needs is a clear view of the sky. The roof is best as you really want to get it away from as many obstructions as possible, but as long as you're not having issues with satellite reception or getting locks I wouldn't worry about it too much.

z00t3ch appears to be confusing GPS with A-GPS which is a cell/internet assisted technology used to speed up initial satellite acquisition by downloading updated information on the GPS constellation. I'd guess 99% of cell phones with GPS receivers use A-GPS. A combination of 3 or more cell towers in proximity close enough that your phone has some sort of signal strength from each of them can be used to get a rough location, but it's not precise enough for navigation. Now the even more nefarious (depending on your point of view) is Google's WiFi location service which logs WiFi signals and their GPS locations. Since WiFi generally has a very small range the area your phone can be narrowed down to is much smaller than cell tower triangulation. In an area with a high density of WiFi (like a city) the accuracy is pretty good, but still probably not enough to rely on for navigation.

You are correct, all the antenna needs is a clear view of the sky. The roof is best as you really want to get it away from as many obstructions as possible, but as long as you're not having issues with satellite reception or getting locks I wouldn't worry about it too much.

z00t3ch appears to be confusing GPS with A-GPS which is a cell/internet assisted technology used to speed up initial satellite acquisition by downloading updated information on the GPS constellation. I'd guess 99% of cell phones with GPS receivers use A-GPS. A combination of 3 or more cell towers in proximity close enough that your phone has some sort of signal strength from each of them can be used to get a rough location, but it's not precise enough for navigation. Now the even more nefarious (depending on your point of view) is Google's WiFi location service which logs WiFi signals and their GPS locations. Since WiFi generally has a very small range the area your phone can be narrowed down to is much smaller than cell tower triangulation. In an area with a high density of WiFi (like a city) the accuracy is pretty good, but still probably not enough to rely on for navigation.

And it isn't just Google that has databases and maps of wifi hotspots. Most of the various phone makers and other providers have their own or use third party services. Apple uses them as does Microsoft. In some locales, there companies that will sell mapping databases to law enforcement for forensic use. Common practice for about 10+ years now.

hey guys,
I recently replaced my factory nav with this: Lexus GX 470 2002 - 2009 10.4. just wanted to share my experience with you guys. I think its a pretty good upgrade and although not cheap i think it was woth it. Install is pretty straight forward but no written instructions. They are very responsive with help via email/text. so far been running it for about a week.

pros- the obvious is the thing is actually useful. bluetooth, waze/google maps/ weather or whatever other android app you want. maintains all previous functions except stock reverse cam (installed aftermarket) and i have not been able to get cd changer to work. can hook up dash cam, side cam, aux inputs, has video out for headrest screens,

cons- no manual or written install instructions... touch inputs can be a little laggy/ unresponsive at times. only connects to main fm antenna so reception on some stations is reduced although the fm radio is overall better than stock. install might be a little challenging for less experienced DIYers. Not the most polished software but a decent start and hopefully they will upgrade it over time.

anyway, jsut wanted to share. i have no affiliation with Rhino Radios but i was very happy to find this when i was looking at repalcing the tape deck with single din radio.
take it easy

How’d you route the rear camera cable?

down the kick panel and under the scuff plates on the passenger side

Is this difficult to do or time intensive? Do you have to disassemble any side or door panels?

Any info on how apple products/iPhone would function with this unit? Apologies if it’s already been addressed. I didn’t see it.

Any word on the functionality of the hvac controls?

when I did some research back in July there seemed to be a lot of concern around the controls not working. Wasn’t clear to me if it’s just the touch screen buttons that have issues or if it’s the physical buttons on the unit.

if the physical buttons on this provide all the functionality of the factory hvac controls, I’d definitely consider this instead of the non-nav conversion.

Im about to pull the trigger on one.. I just bought a 2005 GX that needs a little work and pint going to fix her all up for the wife. New shocks rack and pinon 2" life etc.., and looking to install an AUX or Bluetooth, the bluetooth is over $200 so I would gladly pay more for apple CarPlay.
I have a few questions:
Did you get the 4G version w/ android 9 (fully loaded) or the 2G version?
What other accessories did you have to purchase with it?
Cameras of course, but what about ODBII ??
CarPlay or Android Auto Modules?
Does the Backup Camera turn on automatically when you put the GX in reverse
thanks for your post

It's been a while but I think I got the android auto/car play adapter and backup camera and that's it. Got the android 4g version and added a odb hot spot for wifi. We pretty much only use it for android auto as the radio is pretty much useless. It only uses one of the two antennas and reception is horrible. I can't strongly recommend the thing, it's ok but if I could do it again I would probably go a different route.

Im about to pull the trigger on one.. I just bought a 2005 GX that needs a little work and pint going to fix her all up for the wife. New shocks rack and pinon 2" life etc.., and looking to install an AUX or Bluetooth, the bluetooth is over $200 so I would gladly pay more for apple CarPlay.
I have a few questions:
Did you get the 4G version w/ android 9 (fully loaded) or the 2G version?
What other accessories did you have to purchase with it?
Cameras of course, but what about ODBII ??
CarPlay or Android Auto Modules?
Does the Backup Camera turn on automatically when you put the GX in reverse
thanks for your post
It

Probably a discussion better suited to a different forum entirely, but for example LORAN was being used before Arthur C. Clark, the science-fiction author, ever conjured up the idea of man-made satellites. Secondly, most people have ditched their Garmins in favor of their cell phone GPS, and no cell phone company that I am aware of claims their phones are satellite receivers. Driving down any freeway here in Ohio one can see at times up to a half dozen of the 3-sector triangulation towers all around them, and that's all that is and ever has been necessary to locate a person or vehicle within a plane.
Hold my beer. Here in Tennessee there are locations where I lose GPS lock. Most of the time if I'm moving it doesn't become an issue, a bend here, a ravine there. There's more than a few songs that go "The sun rises at 10:00 and sets at 3:00. Mostly poetic license but I'll get back to you in the dead of winter.

hey guys,
I recently replaced my factory nav with this: Lexus GX 470 2002 - 2009 10.4. just wanted to share my experience with you guys. I think its a pretty good upgrade and although not cheap i think it was woth it. Install is pretty straight forward but no written instructions. They are very responsive with help via email/text. so far been running it for about a week.

pros- the obvious is the thing is actually useful. bluetooth, waze/google maps/ weather or whatever other android app you want. maintains all previous functions except stock reverse cam (installed aftermarket) and i have not been able to get cd changer to work. can hook up dash cam, side cam, aux inputs, has video out for headrest screens,

cons- no manual or written install instructions... touch inputs can be a little laggy/ unresponsive at times. only connects to main fm antenna so reception on some stations is reduced although the fm radio is overall better than stock. install might be a little challenging for less experienced DIYers. Not the most polished software but a decent start and hopefully they will upgrade it over time.

anyway, jsut wanted to share. i have no affiliation with Rhino Radios but i was very happy to find this when i was looking at repalcing the tape deck with single din radio.
take it easy
I can't find any critical reviews of the audio that comes with this. I love the audio as it is and don't care to introduce a lower quality source/amp just to have a flatscreen that does GPS. (that's what cellphones are for! ;) What do you think of the before/after of the OEM audio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom