GX470 with nav replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you care about audio quality then Chinese made android head units should be at the absolute bottom of your list.
are you saying this as someone who adjusted volume properly before install and messed with the equalizer after install?

I’m saying this as someone who understands that companies like Alpine, Kenwood, Pioneer, and Sony are giants in the audio world for a reason.

if you want quality audio, then you’re going to pay for it. Those shoddy China-made android units aren’t undergoing the r&d of the aforementioned firms and aren’t focused on quality audio output. The whole point of their production is to be cheap and have a ton of “features”.

it’s the same with all tech. If you really care about quality for your movies / tv / sports, you’re not getting the $700 Hisense. You’re getting an oled from Samsung or LG.

Yeah, it’s pretty obvious you’re not getting great audio components when you’re essentially buying a cheap tablet that fits in your dash.

sounds like you guys are willing to pay what it takes to get a non nav conversion to install a "quality" head unit, amp, speakers and sub.

that's covered in a different thread

Neat. It’s also a question someone asked in this thread. That’s the question that Rommel and I answered: if you’re concerned about audio quality, then you shouldn’t focus on the tesla style units.

no one is installing a tesla unit to get better audio quality than stock.

also my parts bill is lower for the non-nav than the cost of a new tesla unit from Phoenix or rhino. So it’s not necessarily about spending more.

the tesla unit is an android tablet so it offers a lot of features that many folks think are pretty cool. I wanted to at least maintain audio quality, and have the option to upgrade amp and speakers easily. So I went with a Sony XAV-AX5500

Has anyone had experience with the 13.6" version of this unit? How does it compare to the 10.4". It has new technology it seems since it uses android 10 instead of android 9 platform and it includes a knob for volume control.

Neat. It’s also a question someone asked in this thread. That’s the question that Rommel and I answered: if you’re concerned about audio quality, then you shouldn’t focus on the tesla style units.

no one is installing a tesla unit to get better audio quality than stock.

also my parts bill is lower for the non-nav than the cost of a new tesla unit from Phoenix or rhino. So it’s not necessarily about spending more.

the tesla unit is an android tablet so it offers a lot of features that many folks think are pretty cool. I wanted to at least maintain audio quality, and have the option to upgrade amp and speakers easily. So I went with a Sony XAV-AX5500

how many different ways are you trying to have this?

I asked my antagonistic question because a lot of people install these units, with no know-how or no research, they hear bad audio and they think it's cheap Chinese made garbage, when in fact it's that they did not mess with the volume setting on the amp before install and did not mess with the equalizer afterward. that's not a product flaw, that's user error.

that being said if you want better than stock audio quality, the people who have properly installed, the unit with due diligence in troubleshooting, have gotten better than stock audio quality, it's marginal, but it works well.

is it at the level of replacing the ML amp and getting standard impedance speakers with proper crossovers etc etc etc? no. it's not.

but isn't that what you said you're interested in? yet on your install it sounds like you still have stock amp and speakers. and in addition to that you want to claim spending less money as well. I don't know what to say man, you win?

my point is that you can get a marginal improvement from stock, probably mostly due to the equalizer function and maybe a little better signal coming out of the head unit than 15 year old tech. that's all, no more no less and it doesn't have to be a downgrade from stock.

(of course your speakers have to be intact for this to be true. old broken speakers won't get you anything.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom