Troubleshooting: GX470 temp gauge reads hot (past 1/2 mark). The hose that runs from the top of the engine to the radiator was leaking at the thermostat due to a loose clamp. I tightened it and filled the reservoir a few times, with the amount of coolant being lower in the morning (always filled to the fill line).
Video: Radiator opening burbling
Things I've check:
- Oil is clean, no sign of contamination
- No white smoke in the morning
- Idle is fine at start
- Temp doesn't go above the top of the temp symbol on the cluster (see photo)
- Heater works well
- Timing belt/waterpump replaced at 120k (184k now)
- IR thermometer shows 200-204 degrees at the T-stat housing when car is fully warmed up
- Previous owner filled with green coolant, I need to purge it, but won't have time for another few weeks
Tried burping the system by leaving the radiator cap off while the car was parked on an incline and let it warm up to the half-way mark. The coolant gurgled for a bit, but finally calmed down, let it run again without issue.
When I'm driving, the temp gauge stays slightly below the middle level. If I stop, the gauge reads on top of the temp signal.
The timing belt and water pump were replaced with an Aisin kit. The fan appears to be running just fine, and increases in speed when throttle is increased.