GX460 vs T4R (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice review.
Having owned my ‘10 GX460 for several months now, I’m finding I miss my 4Runner less and less. I’ve been patiently waiting for the Ironman suspension to arrive so I can lift it and get it out on the trails where I’ll be able to accurately gauge its abilities versus the 4Runner. From a daily driving standpoint, there is no doubt the Lexus is miles ahead in overall materials quality and comfort. Even for an older girl with 142,000 miles, she drives silky smooth and this V8 offers everything you could want in a power plant. At her age, she is in dire need of the new suspension, sway bar bushings and spark plugs, all of which are coming soon. As long as she does at least as well as the 4Runner did off road, I’ll be beyond thrilled with this move. Plus, the 4R has caught in popularity in my area and I see them literally everywhere. I have yet to see even one mildly modded GX so I’ll see how that goes. It’ll be either thumbs up or a lot of pointing and laughing...either way, I’m excited.
As far as off road, unless you have the 4R TRD Pro, the GX is as capable and even more so on trails than the 4R, mainly because of the V8.
When you throw in the differences between both interiors, hands down, GX.
Pretty much the ONLY down side to the GX are the bumpers front and rear. It just kills the approach and departure angles.

As far as off road, unless you have the 4R TRD Pro, the GX is as capable and even more so on trails than the 4R, mainly because of the V8.
When you throw in the differences between both interiors, hands down, GX.
Pretty much the ONLY down side to the GX are the bumpers front and rear. It just kills the approach and departure angles.
With the 2010, the approach angle isn’t any worse than my 2010 4Runner. The 14+ GXs? Yeah the approach angle is far from an afterthought. It’s the reason people look down on this truck as an off road bred vehicle. I have plans to chop it up anyways. Sliders are a must especially with these obnoxious side steps. And yes, departure angle and the lack of plus sized spare tire carrying options have forced me into an off road bumper with tire carrier. This will correct the departure angle but I agree completely. My 4R was simply the SR5 premium, so none of the fancy off road wizardry and I’m grateful for that. With 4 low and A-Atrac, I could do anything my Jeep buddies were doing and I leaned the technical aspects of off roading I may have otherwise missed by relying on electronics to make me look better than I was.

Reactions: r2m
One other thing that I just learn only available on GX is 2nd start. Not useful if your off road adventure is on dry Rocky terrain but in the east slippery muddy terrain this thing can work wonders and if you not lifting tire it can work better than even a locking diff.

Its clunky to use on GX460. GX470 got a lot more accessible button.

Second start moved back for 2020 to old 10-13 RCSA airbag deactivation button location

44.png

We actually traded our 2021 460 Premium for a TRD ORP yesterday. One of the biggest things I noticed after driving the 460 down to Oakland and driving back the 4Runner is oddly the steering wheel.
Simply, the newer steering wheel shared with the LX utterly rules.
Also, things like all of the added speed limit info and so on displayed on the 4Runner are quite handy. However, having CarPlay and relatively currentish tech really makes a nice difference.
The V8 is certainly smoother and regardless of DBA levels, it certainly was noticeably quieter in the 460.

We actually traded our 2021 460 Premium for a TRD ORP yesterday. One of the biggest things I noticed after driving the 460 down to Oakland and driving back the 4Runner is oddly the steering wheel.
Also, things like all of the added speed limit info and so on displayed on the 4Runner are quite handy. However, having CarPlay and relatively currentish tech really makes a nice difference.
The V8 is certainly smoother and regardless of DBA levels, it certainly was noticeably quieter in the 460.

What made you decide to trade it in for a T4R?

You make a good point that I noticed recently...steering feel and responsiveness is way better in the 4Runner. I’m still waiting on my Ironman lift to arrive, but it’ll be interesting to see how that translates to the trail. The tech stuff I’m sure is nice but nothing that can’t be upgraded at an expense on the GX. I’m certainly missing the “party mode” button (literally a button that says party mode) for the audio system which, by the way, is so much better in the GX it isn’t even funny. The stock audio in the 4Runner is about as good as my 1990s boom box was. Haha. Congrats on the purchase though. Small nuances aside, the 4R is an incredible and ridiculously reliable truck. After 112,000 miles on mine, it didn’t miss one single beat or need service beyond normal maintenance. They’re literal tanks.

The only thing I miss on the 4Runner is the rear roll down window, that was a nice feature. They are slightly more nimble but that has a large part to do with the full-time 4WD on the GX. The rear of the 4Runner always felt light and unbalanced, the GX felt more sure footed out back in comparison.

The only thing I miss on the 4Runner is the rear roll down window, that was a nice feature. They are slightly more nimble but that has a large part to do with the full-time 4WD on the GX. The rear of the 4Runner always felt light and unbalanced, the GX felt more sure footed out back in comparison.
I love the roll down window! Wish the GX had it...

What made you decide to trade it in for a T4R?
I had only wanted a 2010-2012 GX owing primarily to my dislike of the spindle grill. We initially wanted to pay cash as well. We drove almost 5 hours South to San Francisco to purchase a 2012 at a Lexus dealer and actually did so only for them to spend 3 days trying to get the thing to pass smog. Being trapped in Daly City is not too fun.
Due to what happened, they gave a decent discount on a 21 and.....

All that said, where we live affords us many times where we are off tarmac and doing so in a shiny Lexus felt weird. Add into that historically stupid trade in prices and there was very little lost.

Y’all know the trick to ride around with the rear window lifted open on the GX, right? I also miss the roll down but this is a good work around to achieve almost the same thing.
Yea someone even sells a kit for it but it's really nothing more than a turnbuckle hook with a piece of rubber hose over it.

I love the roll down window! Wish the GX had it...
Yes, roll down rear window would be nice, along with a tailgate too.
At least we have the pop up rear window!
Better than what the GX470's came with! Or should I say didn't come with...

Better than what the GX470's came with! Or should I say didn't come with...

Being a 470 owner as well I concur. Seems like an oversight. I do wish we had the LR split tailgate/popup window for maximum utility.

I'd love the roll-down window, too.

I impulse bought the rear window stabilizer kit from RAD Rubber, so that I could ride around with the window open. But it actually doesn't work on the 460, from what I can tell... only 470! So now I just have it lying around, if anyone wants one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom