GX460 vs T4R (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I wrote a reply and reread it, and realized it wasn’t worth arguing over numbers. Still interested to see why he made the switch.

Last edited:
He also complained about the lack of power.

Off the line it’s pretty good but definitely lacking higher in the power band, Lexus also tuned the transmission for smoothness and fuel economy so I put mine in Sport which is kinda like the power button in the 80. Mine is for kids duty and I’m never in a huge hurry with kids inside. AND after driving an 80 the GX is a rocket ship! Hahahaha

It has its good and bad and so far we really like ours still. Road trip coming up this week so we definitely will see if it’s good at our intended purpose for it.

My $0.02

After going out on a TD in a 4R it was no contest the 460 was far better, still not fast but acceptable. The other family ride has 420 hp and much lighter so it does feel slow compared to that, I’m curious how big a difference the tuned valve bodies make.

Well after 1000 mile road trip with the fam and the GX460 we still like it. Plenty of power, quiet, smooth and surprisingly good MPG on the highway(19-20) even with some hills and cruising at 80-85. I miss my LS430 on highway 5 with the old 4.3, the GX still doesn’t hold a candle to the LS on power, speed and smoothness but it is still very good. Only thing is when 460’s engine is much louder at higher rev compared to my LS430, it just sounds like it’s angry or working hard as suppose to the LS just hums and sounds much happier, it is 1000lbs lighter though.

Last edited:
Personally, I feel the seats in the GX 460 to be far more comfortable than 4Runners and Tacomas.
As reference, I'm 6'-0", 220 lbs and 59 years old. Just replaced both (2) our 1998 Landcruisers with a 2013 GX 460 and 2007 Tacoma, 4x4. The GX is even more comfortable than our Landcruisers! My wife's Taco's seats are too hard. My friends 2017 4Runner seats are just slightly better than the Taco.

Just my 2 cent's...:meh:

4.7L engine in the LS430?

The LS430 has the same 4.7 as the gx470.

GX460 has the “same” 4.6 as LS460 but without the direct injection and mechanical fan vs electric fan. Lost about 100 HP and torque, just as smooth though. Non-direct injection and machanical fan are less efficient but more reliable to go with landcruiser intended use. It can tolerate crap gas far better than direct injection which has no toerlerance for sh!t gas.

Brochure shows it as well

ToyotaReference Brochure Viewer

Often model number also correlates to engine displacement.

It is Wikipedia but isn't it actually the 4.3L 3UZ-FE

Toyota UZ engine - Wikipedia

3UZ-FE
The 3UZ-FE, is a 4.3 L (4,292 cc or 261.9 cu in) version built in Japan. Bore is 91 mm (3.6 in) [2] and stroke is 82.5 mm (3.25 in). Output is 216 to 224 kW (290 to 300 hp) at 5600 rpm with 441 N·m (325 lb·ft) of torque at 3400 rpm. It has an aluminum engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SEFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with VVT-i. In 2003, the engine was linked to a six-speed automatic in applications with improved fuel efficiency.[2]
A 4.4L version replaced the 3S-GTE as the engine used in Toyota's 500 hp (370 kW) Super GT race cars up to 2009[citation needed] and a 5.0L version was used in the Grand American Road Racing (Grand Am) Series.[8]
Applications (calendar years):[2]
Lexus LS 430
Lexus GS 430
Lexus SC 430/Toyota Soarer
Toyota Crown Majesta
Super GT
Toyota Supra GT500 Race Car
2006-2008 Lexus SC 430 GT500 Race Car

Last edited:
Brochure shows it as well

ToyotaReference Brochure Viewer

Often model number also correlates to engine displacement.

It is Wikipedia but isn't it actually the 4.3L 3UZ-FE

Toyota UZ engine - Wikipedia

3UZ-FE
The 3UZ-FE, is a 4.3 L (4,292 cc or 261.9 cu in) version built in Japan. Bore is 91 mm (3.6 in) [2] and stroke is 82.5 mm (3.25 in). Output is 216 to 224 kW (290 to 300 hp) at 5600 rpm with 441 N·m (325 lb·ft) of torque at 3400 rpm. It has an aluminum engine block and aluminum DOHC cylinder heads. It uses SEFI fuel injection, has 4 valves per cylinder with VVT-i. In 2003, the engine was linked to a six-speed automatic in applications with improved fuel efficiency.[2]
A 4.4L version replaced the 3S-GTE as the engine used in Toyota's 500 hp (370 kW) Super GT race cars up to 2009[citation needed] and a 5.0L version was used in the Grand American Road Racing (Grand Am) Series.[8]
Applications (calendar years):[2]
Lexus LS 430
Lexus GS 430
Lexus SC 430/Toyota Soarer
Toyota Crown Majesta
Super GT
Toyota Supra GT500 Race Car
2006-2008 Lexus SC 430 GT500 Race Car
Hongqi HQ430

Ah you are right, I got it all mixed up. My LS isn’t due for an oil change and haven’t seen the engine since last oil change.

Don't intend to again, start a civil war here but:

I have read time and again somewhere, that the Prado and the 4Runner frame is not the same.

The prado ladder frame is stiffer than the 4Runner ladder frame. Prado has additional criss-cross members in its frame. It might not mean much offroad, but it will certainly show on the Hwy.

Don't intend to again, start a civil war here but:

I have read time and again somewhere, that the Prado and the 4Runner frame is not the same.

The prado ladder frame is stiffer than the 4Runner ladder frame. Prado has additional criss-cross members in its frame. It might not mean much offroad, but it will certainly show on the Hwy.

Source or it's just hearsay

Simple way to determine is to look at the part numbers for each frame. if they are the same, the frame is the same. If they are different, then there are likely some internal or structural differences between the two frames. Toyota is a lean company and would not create a new Lexus p/n simply for the GX or LC Prado if it is the same part. They would just use the same P/N for supply chain and vendor logistic efficiencies to homologous the part globally.

Having owned both a 4R and now a GX/Prado, they are different vehicles with some interchangeable parts.
They ride different, have different capacities and have different capabilities. The USA based Lexus GX is based on the LC Prado product line globally, not the 4R product line in the USA market.

The base GX handles better on the road than the limited 4R because of power steering differences, KDSS and larger f/r sway bars within the KDSS system, it's also heavier/lower due to additional soundproofing throughout and the powertrain so the CG is lower despite it being taller and having more headroom.

Source or it's just hearsay
I will try and retrieve that information on different frame or stiffer frame and post the links.

I have both, a 4Runner in Canada and recently bought a Prado in India, both 3rd Generation.
4Runner is 98 and has the 2.7L with rear lockers and the Prado is 2000 and has the 3.4L. gasoline with rear lockers. Love both.

Last edited:
Okay, so this thread is really old to be revived, but there is alot of good info that really applies to those of us trying to decide between a 4runner and a GX460. Prices are really weird, and after hunting for a almost a year for a decent used 3rd row 4runner, I found a much cheaper 2011 GX460 fully serviced, babied, 99k miles, for $17k---which was much much cheaper than its twin sibling 4runner goes for. A facotry off road version of the GX460 would no doubt hold its resale much better. Most everything has been covered pretty well, but there is one error that seems to be a recurring theme for GX460 vs. 5th Gen T4R. Caranddriver does actual curb weights in their instrumented tests and the 2010 4runner weighed 4,780 lbs and. 2010 GX460 weighed 5,246 lbs. That is actually 466 lbs which is definitely heavier, but not nearly what is mostly discussed. If you are shopping for a 3rd row 4runner, the 3rd row seats likely add close to 200 lbs with extra airbags and seatbelts, etc. so it would be even closer which makes a lot more sense. I needed ground clearance for off roading so the 2010-13 makes sense for those on a budget and the side steps came off quickly.

Great forum and the Australian posts and rebuttal were very entertaining even if silly.

Okay, so this thread is really old to be revived, but there is alot of good info that really applies to those of us trying to decide between a 4runner and a GX460. Prices are really weird, and after hunting for a almost a year for a decent used 3rd row 4runner, I found a much cheaper 2011 GX460 fully serviced, babied, 99k miles, for $17k---which was much much cheaper than its twin sibling 4runner goes for. A facotry off road version of the GX460 would no doubt hold its resale much better. Most everything has been covered pretty well, but there is one error that seems to be a recurring theme for GX460 vs. 5th Gen T4R. Caranddriver does actual curb weights in their instrumented tests and the 2010 4runner weighed 4,780 lbs and. 2010 GX460 weighed 5,246 lbs. That is actually 466 lbs which is definitely heavier, but not nearly what is mostly discussed. If you are shopping for a 3rd row 4runner, the 3rd row seats likely add close to 200 lbs with extra airbags and seatbelts, etc. so it would be even closer which makes a lot more sense. I needed ground clearance for off roading so the 2010-13 makes sense for those on a budget and the side steps came off quickly.

Great forum and the Australian posts and rebuttal were very entertaining even if silly.
Just to address a couple of your comments, there isn't an "off road" or "trail ready" GX. The only options on the GX, especially for the pre '14 models are either base or premium.
The premium having better stereo, nav, 3 climate zones, heated steering wheel, and a few other amenities. As far as weight between the 4R and GX, as soon as you drive both, you'll realize where the extra weight is added. The GX's are far more quiet, comfortable, more electronics, e.g. rear air suspension, sound dampening, better materials in general also add weight, and least we forget a V8! So all that extra weight is put to good use, IMHO.
Regarding the third row seats, with the ability to stow or use the third row seats with a push of an electric button makes shopping or hauling more kids much easier! Also, the middle seats on the GX slide forward and aft AND recline which the 4R doesn't.
Hope this helps!

You can also get 3rd zone HVAC (heater & AC) in the rear.... 470 is AC only for 3rd zone and I thought 4R was just the heater if optioned that way (I'm not sure on 4R option but am fairly certain isn't both like 460)

Just to address a couple of your comments, there isn't an "off road" or "trail ready" GX. The only options on the GX, especially for the pre '14 models are either base or premium.
The premium having better stereo, nav, 3 climate zones, heated steering wheel, and a few other amenities. As far as weight between the 4R and GX, as soon as you drive both, you'll realize where the extra weight is added. The GX's are far more quiet, comfortable, more electronics, e.g. rear air suspension, sound dampening, better materials in general also add weight, and least we forget a V8! So all that extra weight is put to good use, IMHO.
Regarding the third row seats, with the ability to stow or use the third row seats with a push of an electric button makes shopping or hauling more kids much easier! Also, the middle seats on the GX slide forward and aft AND recline which the 4R doesn't.
Hope this helps!
Yes, very good points. The GX460 continues to grow on me although I would like to black out some more of the chrome bits although the F sport grill I changed to was a good start. I also should have been clearer in my post, but I meant to imply that "If" Lexus made a factory off-road version, it would hold its value much better. Obviously they market things a certain way towards the luxury crowd, and they may have missed the opportunity at this point although the T4R Trail and Off Road editions are still hot sellers. This GX-OR Off road concept is what I was thinking of, but I am sure you as well as many GX460 owners on this forum have already seen it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom