GX460 Transmission fluid cooler (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is there any harm in having two coolers in series? I've added the factory cooler to mine now, but I've been thinking of acquiring a heavier trailer and I think I wouldn't mind maybe adding a Hayden 679 in series.

Is there any harm in having two coolers in series? I've added the factory cooler to mine now, but I've been thinking of acquiring a heavier trailer and I think I wouldn't mind maybe adding a Hayden 679 in series.

I would get the trailer and tow a few times before thinking about adding more cooling capacity. I would also probably go with one high quality cooler vs two hayden coolers. More components will always equal more changes of failure.

For sure, all valid points
The only advantage I see is maybe having more surface area and easier mounting options, two smaller coolers instead of one larger one.
But the introduction of more points of leaking is obviously not ideal
Thanks guys. Prolly will just swap out the factory cooler if need be

Reactions: r2m
It's pretty easy and cheap to swap out the factory cooler with a Hayden. I have a 678 which keeps things super-cool. You should not need any more cooling than that (unless you are towing up a really long grade in 3rd gear or lower where you don't get TC lockup, however you'll still be better off than stock). It's maybe a $100-150 mod all in. You can DIY a bracket where the Hayden will bolt up to the factory cooler mounting points, so it will look pretty clean and very factory-esque in nature (generally un-noticeable).

It's pretty easy and cheap to swap out the factory cooler with a Hayden. I have a 678 which keeps things super-cool. You should not need any more cooling than that (unless you are towing up a really long grade in 3rd gear or lower where you don't get TC lockup, however you'll still be better off than stock). It's maybe a $100-150 mod all in. You can DIY a bracket where the Hayden will bolt up to the factory cooler mounting points, so it will look pretty clean and very factory-esque in nature (generally un-noticeable).

Just an FYI you are posting in the GX460 forum, where 95% of the GX460's don't have aux coolers from the factory unlike the GX470, nor the the brackets or mounting locations. Just a heads up to clear up confusion.

Just an FYI you are posting in the GX460 forum, where 95% of the GX460's don't have aux coolers from the factory unlike the GX470, nor the the brackets or mounting locations. Just a heads up to clear up confusion.
Understood, however the most recent poster (which I was commenting to) indicated they have already added a factory cooler. In looking at photos of the GX460 factory cooler mounting (and what others have done), it's very similar to the GX470 and it would not be difficult to make a mount for a larger Hayden with some basic metal flat stock.

You can definitely put a larger transmission cooler in the OEM location. I had a large Tru-Cool 47391 (will not mount in OEM location) on the GX470 before I swapped it over to our LX570. Then I retrofitted the 200 series transmission cooler (which is about 2 times the size of the stock GX470/460 transmission cooler) into the OEM location for the GX470. Just go to the hardware store and get a couple of brackets or aluminum plates to fabricate your mounts.
20210726_194744a.jpg
20210727_145851a.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom