GX460 Running board removal and slider install write up? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't believe the gap is very critical, since you want some space for flex. There should be enough room to add the trim after your install.

Questions before I start this project myself:

(1) Do you install the sliders without the trim piece in, then re-attach the trim piece. Or does the trimmed piece from the steps go back on before installing the sliders?

(2) How do you know exactly where to trim the steps? (A) Remove them, install the sliders and measure the gap, (B) It'll be obvious when I get to that point, or (C) Something else?

Thanks in advance!

It's been about a year, but my recollection is that the trim piece just clips onto the body so you can put it back on after installing the sliders. I believe I took off the running boards, installed the sliders, then cut the running boards and clipped back on the 'trim' that remained.

As to where to cut, I think it is a combination of measuring a little to gauge where you want to cut, and then just wielding the cutting tool and trying to keep a straight-ish line - the area you'll be cutting curves in to form the step as you move in from the ends, so it's somewhat just going by feel.

So it to much longer than anticipated but life happens. Anyhow I finally got around install my sliders on both sides and so far quite happy with them. Got the flat version from RSG for the GX with the kick out, thanks to the kickout the rear step is huge! Both the wife and my son love it because the rear step was less than useful from the factory. I only manage to rig the puddle light on one side though thanks to my stulidity of messing up the factory light harness. Anyone has an extra one?

View attachment 1918863View attachment 1918864View attachment 1918865

Where did you mount your puddle lights to after installing the sliders? I bought some Amazon LED puddle lights that I plan to wire into the factory harness but I am not sure of where I should mount them. Any pics, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.

Where did you mount your puddle lights to after installing the sliders? I bought some Amazon LED puddle lights that I plan to wire into the factory harness but I am not sure of where I should mount them. Any pics, advice, suggestions would be much appreciated.

I suggest amazon rock lights, I tried some LED off-road lights and they died quickly. my guess is the dimming killed them. On the cheap rock lights I enlarged the mounting hole a little and reused factory mounting bolts for the factory running board, you will have 6 total and I used the front and rear 4 holes.

Done.

QGJKqMk.jpg

8Gi9DCT.jpg

Anyone know if the running board trim, changed over the years?

I have a 2013 and going to pick up a scratched up 2016 running board trim in the same color, that I plan to cut down for slider install.
Just want to make sure I won’t run into any surprises where it’s not a direct swap.

I have RSG flat sliders incoming. Would anybody be willing to measure your running board cuts from the top edge down?

VICTORY at the 5:30 mark in the video. Cuts 3 1/4 in down from top edge for the front, lines up with body seam. Rear 2 inches straight down from lip ignoring the curve of the plastic.

CBI 7:30 in the video.
4 inches down from the edge in the front. 2 1/2 inches in the rear.

SSO 3:45 in the video.

Last edited:
I have RSG flat sliders incoming. Would anybody be willing to measure your running board cuts from the top edge down?
Victory at the 5:30 mark in the video. Cuts 3 1/4 in down from top edge for the front, lines up with body seam. Rear 2 inches down from lip.

Cbi 7:30 in the video.
not me, my cuts suck. You can always cut more, and I think each slider may be different. I have slee sliders, and I have yet to see any slider manufacturer that give a decent datum from where to measure, and at what angle to cut, e.g. "down from the top edge" = From the top of the front edge of the side? It's curved. Straight line distance? contoured distance? from the front of the front edge? o_O :lol: Body seam? which body seam? where? the fricken lip???? :lol: good luck!!!

not me, my cuts suck. You can always cut more, and I think each slider may be different. I have slee sliders, and I have yet to see any slider manufacturer that give a decent datum from where to measure, and at what angle to cut, e.g. "down from the top edge" = From the top of the front edge of the side? It's curved. Straight line distance? contoured distance? from the front of the front edge? o_O :lol: Body seam? which body seam? where? the fricken lip???? :lol: good luck!!!
Also, the tolerance on sliders are probably along the lines used for a potbellied stove. In short, very loose tolerances so you may always want to cut a little try the fit, repeat as necessary.

I installed my RSG's and the cuts were 4 inches front and 2 1/2 inches rear.
The rest is in this video courtesy of CBI

Reactions: r2m

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom