GX460 / Prado150 pic thread (17 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A minimum maintenance farm road open to the public. C is considered private property and is trespass, even though all roads are on public lands. They are analogous to forest roads but have their own issues.

I try to find orphaned sections that don't get maintained at all, those can be quite fun. Closest thing to proper trails outside of strip mines in Iowa.
Is this an "Iowa only" thing, or common in the Midwest? Are they denoted as such on common maps, or more of a "you'll know it when you see it" type of thing?

Is this an "Iowa only" thing, or common in the Midwest? Are they denoted as such on common maps, or more of a "you'll know it when you see it" type of thing?
They are a relatively newer classification for dirt roads as a means to reduce county maintenance overhead.

I had to dig and dig and dig to make that map then proof everything by driving it. They are marked in various ways. If they aren't marked is when you have to be careful you aren't trespassing. The biggest resource, ironically, was a geo info systems database made by cyclists. I think it's about 80% accurate.

Otherwise Iowa only has 2 or 3 private offroad parks, and those aren't really my thing anymore.

Also, not going to lie, having to figure it all out for myself has added an extra layer of exploration to it. I try to weed out all the dead ends created by bridges they chose not to maintain or railroad crosses where they just created 2 dead ends. I prefer finding through routes, in and out of the little river valleys.

Last edited:
Picked up a new GX in December to be a combination family hauler and off-road platform. First stage of the build is complete with 2-3" Dobinson's suspension lift, KMC Technic 17" wheels, Falken Wildpeak AT3/W 285/70r17s, Apache Offroad UCAs, Sherpa rack, and RSG sliders. Also had to do a BMC to clear the tires. Work was all done by TEQ Customs in Raleigh, NC who are awesome.

IMG_2518.jpg
IMG_2531.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

I'm wrapping up my ARB twin compressor install, Switchpros, and SDoffroadMT mount tray tomorrow unless something goes horribly wrong.

Super happy with the current state. Phase 2 will be bumpers and winch. I'm doing CBI up front and I splurged and ordered the Dissent modular rear. I'll add some new photos when those show up in a few months and get installed.

IMG_2524.jpg

They are a relatively newer classification for dirt roads as a means to reduce county maintenance overhead.

I had to dig and dig and dig to make that map then proof everything by driving it. They are marked in various ways. If they aren't marked is when you have to be careful you aren't trespassing. The biggest resource, ironically, was a geo info systems database made by cyclists. I think it's about 80% accurate.

Otherwise Iowa only has 2 or 3 private offroad parks, and those aren't really my thing anymore.

Also, not going to lie, having to figure it all out for myself has added an extra layer of exploration to it. I try to weed out all the dead ends created by bridges they chose not to maintain or railroad crosses where they just created 2 dead ends. I prefer finding through routes, in and out of the little river valleys.

Iowa is certainly different, then again all States can and are different in some ways.

Canada makes it easy and while you can download free maps I have tons of paper maps and also pay for the software version of iHunter Ontario. It keeps you off the Reservations and private land and on Crown and public land.

The US for the most part uses Public Land Survey System and land is broken up in one mile squares. "Sections" of 640 acres. When I first moved here the first thing that struck me is that anything other than North\South and East\West roads upset the sensibilities of the good people of the Midwest. In South Dakota all section roads are public. And 21 yards to each side of the center line is public land, why many call pheasants ditch chickens in SD they hunt them along the ditches on section roads. Helps when the State doesn't cut the grass along the roads which most years they do not so it provides cover for birds. If it is a private offshoot from a section road they aren't usually shy about letting you know it.

30680953872_c662658ec5_b.jpg

That road leads into a full section, 1 mile x 1 mile (640 acres) and got to know Scott well he let us hunt there after getting to know him.

North Dakota isn't so generous and if posted a road is private. Until 2 years ago they are the first State in the Country to do electronic posting. And the system doesn't work as promised yet and I'll just leave it at that. And don't hunt ND anymore because of it. The other side of the Missouri is the start of the sagebrush sea and spent enough time in it no desire to go back.

Wi. is open if not posted. Well usually you have to use common sense just like any other place.

Mn. is open if not posted unless it is agriculture land. And tree farms count as ag lands. Not a problem in the Northern part of the State as most of it is public. Superior National Forest is 4 million acres alone and there is as much State and County public lands in the Arrowhead.

30176378800_77d761ceee_b.jpg

Entrance to a 10 mile long "road" that starts on County but crosses and turns into NF and State land. And they are serious about not suitable for passenger vehicles LOL.

If a State road is not open they let you know

49536803676_63c0a78c7f_b.jpg

Otherwise it is open for business

23276336232_aa83cb4284_b.jpg

Many of those roads don't have signs anymore and some that do you can't even drive down them. I carry an electric chainsaw with me and will cut my way open if it isn't too bad. But I'm usually out to kill birds not play lumberjack. If there are enough downed trees I move on or head in on foot with the dog if I can park out of the way enough.

onX app works well for all States that I am aware for private\public land ownership. But Scout and Hunt Maps win by a mile for drilling down to any and all GIS data that is available. Down to moose trails which many of the old spur roads have turned into in the Arrowhead. Doesn't take mother nature long to claim back what was once and still is hers.

Iowa is certainly different, then again all States can and are different in some ways.

Canada makes it easy and while you can download free maps I have tons of paper maps and also pay for the software version of iHunter Ontario. It keeps you off the Reservations and private land and on Crown and public land.

The US for the most part uses Public Land Survey System and land is broken up in one mile squares. "Sections" of 640 acres. When I first moved here the first thing that struck me is that anything other than North\South and East\West roads upset the sensibilities of the good people of the Midwest. In South Dakota all section roads are public. And 21 yards to each side of the center line is public land, why many call pheasants ditch chickens in SD they hunt them along the ditches on section roads. Helps when the State doesn't cut the grass along the roads which most years they do not so it provides cover for birds. If it is a private offshoot from a section road they aren't usually shy about letting you know it.

30680953872_c662658ec5_b.jpg

That road leads into a full section, 1 mile x 1 mile (640 acres) and got to know Scott well he let us hunt there after getting to know him.

North Dakota isn't so generous and if posted a road is private. Until 2 years ago they are the first State in the Country to do electronic posting. And the system doesn't work as promised yet and I'll just leave it at that. And don't hunt ND anymore because of it. The other side of the Missouri is the start of the sagebrush sea and spent enough time in it no desire to go back.

Wi. is open if not posted. Well usually you have to use common sense just like any other place.

Mn. is open if not posted unless it is agriculture land. And tree farms count as ag lands. Not a problem in the Northern part of the State as most of it is public. Superior National Forest is 4 million acres alone and there is as much State and County public lands in the Arrowhead.

30176378800_77d761ceee_b.jpg

Entrance to a 10 mile long "road" that starts on County but crosses and turns into NF and State land. And they are serious about not suitable for passenger vehicles LOL.

If a State road is not open they let you know

49536803676_63c0a78c7f_b.jpg

Otherwise it is open for business

23276336232_aa83cb4284_b.jpg

Many of those roads don't have signs anymore and some that do you can't even drive down them. I carry an electric chainsaw with me and will cut my way open if it isn't too bad. But I'm usually out to kill birds not play lumberjack. If there are enough downed trees I move on or head in on foot with the dog if I can park out of the way enough.

onX app works well for all States that I am aware for private\public land ownership. But Scout and Hunt Maps win by a mile for drilling down to any and all GIS data that is available. Down to moose trails which many of the old spur roads have turned into in the Arrowhead. Doesn't take mother nature long to claim back what was once and still is hers.
Iowa has the least amount of public land out of the 50 states and it's mostly medians and land rented for farming. They are even in contempt of court for not acquiring more public land. It is not split up like western states with a grid, and there is now Castle Doctrine, so gotta be careful.

Are those TRD wheels or Steelies?

With black lug nuts PT076-60200-02. I went with post SEMA red circle TRD Pro caps

Looks great! You did a good job on the bumper trim too. I'm waiting on my ko2s from Costco and putting in an order for the lift. Can't wait.

Thanks for the part # on the lugs... I was looking for those 🤣

Picked up a new GX in December to be a combination family hauler and off-road platform. First stage of the build is complete with 2-3" Dobinson's suspension lift, KMC Technic 17" wheels, Falken Wildpeak AT3/W 285/70r17s, Apache Offroad UCAs, Sherpa rack, and RSG sliders. Also had to do a BMC to clear the tires. Work was all done by TEQ Customs in Raleigh, NC who are awesome.

View attachment 3571914View attachment 3571912
View attachment 3571913

I'm wrapping up my ARB twin compressor install, Switchpros, and SDoffroadMT mount tray tomorrow unless something goes horribly wrong.

Super happy with the current state. Phase 2 will be bumpers and winch. I'm doing CBI up front and I splurged and ordered the Dissent modular rear. I'll add some new photos when those show up in a few months and get installed.

View attachment 3571911
Very nice! Welcome to the forum! Keep the pic's coming as you continue your build and adventures! :cheers:

Had to make way for a Fed Ex truck on a dirt road and they were hauling ass.

20240305_102429.jpg

Got KO2s from Costco. They wouldn't install the 285/70s on my trd pros, so I had to stuff 5 wheels and 5 tires in the GX. Easy fit 😎

View attachment 3574608
Humm. That's odd that Costco wouldn't mount those wheels and tires, especially since TRD wheels are a factory Toyota wheel. Wonder if they put up a fuss with TRD Toyota's with those wheels.
The 315R70/17 BFG A/T's I have on now were from Costco and they had no problem mounting them on my Icon 17 x 8.5 wheels. No questions or anything. Just as if they were mounting stock tires and wheels.

Humm. That's odd that Costco wouldn't mount those wheels and tires, especially since TRD wheels are a factory Toyota wheel. Wonder if they put up a fuss with TRD Toyota's with those wheels.
The 315R70/17 BFG A/T's I have on now were from Costco and they had no problem mounting them on my Icon 17 x 8.5 wheels. No questions or anything. Just as if they were mounting stock tires and wheels.
It was bc the 285/70 manufacturer requires a 7.5"+ wheel. So they wouldn't mount the tires to the wheel unless I went down to a 275. I was warned before I ordered the tires they were extremely by the book about it. Oh well 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: r2m

It's been a while since I've had tires done at Costco but I think they instituted a policy where they won't even mount tires to wheels if they aren't an approved OEM size. Guess it depends on the store too whether or not they're willing to take that risk with liability.

They wouldn't have installed the trd wheels (or the corresponding tires) if it was on the gx since it's not oem sizes.

Reactions: r2m
Got KO2s from Costco. They wouldn't install the 285/70s on my trd pros, so I had to stuff 5 wheels and 5 tires in the GX. Easy fit 😎

View attachment 3574608

I'm impressed they fit that well! When I put my TRD wheels and Wildpeaks on I put the Defender take offs with OEM F Sport rims in the back of the Taco, of course no issue fitting under the ARE MX topper in the bed. Got home ~4:00 PM and immediately listed them on FB Marketplace for $650 and by 6 PM had a dozen contacts so pulled it and sold to the first one for his daughters 4Runner. He showed up at 6:30 with a sequoia and they fit in it, but not a lot of room left over. Not much if any more than you have.

I should have listed my takeoffs for a lot more but didn't think Lexus F sport wheels would be in demand when the nearest Lexus dealer is almost 2 hours away, I don't live in a large metro area. Too late now but now I know. 4Runner and a couple of FJ owners were the ones that hit me up for them. Here I was going for the 4Runner look and they were going for the Lexus look LOL.

Well hopefully my gx stock wheels will get me a few $$ when I take them off haha!

I put 2 of the wheels in the passenger front seat, 2 behind the passenger front seat on the floor, and 1 behind driver on the floor. Then just got that 5th tire in there 🤏

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom