GX460 or T4R Trail? (1 Viewer)

Pick one:

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Crappy pictures, I know. They give an idea as to how clean it really is though.
C8B15C8C-A1BE-4E92-8BF1-3CDE167CD3A3.jpeg
C7ADAF43-FDDD-4712-9C10-F75BA6B44DC3.jpeg
ACF56596-674A-45C8-91B7-DFB4DE6EE764.jpeg
E9F91A5F-8F08-454D-ADCE-020AB7741A56.jpeg
B02346F5-DD6B-4580-96D7-73A8227955B6.jpeg

Initial upgrades will be:

Replacing the flickering and dim LEDs
installed by the PO.

Good quality phone holder/mount (thinking ram mounts)

CB/HAM radio

Better Headlight & reverse bulbs

If you have a phone with Qi charging then you might like the Pitaka mounts. Is magnetic and has Qi charging. I use mine all the time even when off road, it’s never fallen off.

You sure that’s not a limited with sr5 wheels? I didn’t think they made sr5 premiums until the refresh, and I see heated leather seats. Does it have auto climate control?

You sure that’s not a limited with sr5 wheels? I didn’t think they made sr5 premiums until the refresh, and I see heated leather seats. Does it have auto climate control?

a view of the interior center stack will tell, but that wheel is blocking the 2WD/4Hi/4Lo knob ;)

0207F500-023E-4978-9F2A-2493B36DFEF1.jpeg
E18DE49F-BD93-4990-8894-7C1A7292048F.jpeg

It’s not the limited for sure. It came with sr5 badges, but I’ve already removed them. I don’t actually know if it’s an “sr5 premium” though. I just assumed it was, based on the specs. It does not have auto lights, XREAS, 20” wheels, third row seats full time 4wd. So, does anyone knows the exact name of this package?

I didn't know the SR5 came with the manual low range lever; mine ('14) has the turn knob. Perhaps they changed it for later years.

I'll chime in here. After owning both a T4R Trail for several years and a 2015 460 I would definitely say the 460. The V8 and all time all wheel drive makes that decision for me. We never used the crawl control/MTS even when doing some pretty harsh wheeling. I should note that the 460 is my wife's ride and I have a semi built 100, so that gets most of the dirt action. That being said I would certainly not be afraid of tackling just about everything around Ouray/Silverton (other than Poughkeepsie), in the stock 460. I would put some A/T's on it.

That is def a sr5 runner, FWIW. SR5 manual tranny shifter (earlier 5th gen) and wheels. All of the limited's have electronic tranny shifter (knob), and 20 inch wheels.

I really need to get out of the hundo forum more.

Owned a fully modded 10' 5th Gen T4R Limited 4x4 and own a 14' GX460 Luxury. Love the look of the T4R and it has a lot of aftermarket support, but it is under-powered if you drive at all on hills/mountain passes - it constantly searches for gears. The GX doesn't do that.

Both have ample room, but the GX is the luxury version and it shows. Ultimately it comes down to what you can get for the price your willing to pay right now.

Anyway - I sold my T4R and kept the GX and don't regret it at all.

IMG_7922.JPG
gx460.jpg

Last edited:
KVA, did you move any of your mods from the T4R to the GX? It looks like the sliders are the same, but not the roof rack, just curious about the rest.

Technically I did not move anything since I sold it all as-is, but I went and re-purchased a lot of the same stuff (air compressor, lights, switches, armor, etc...) and/or upgraded based on experience with the T4R. The sliders are MT but the T4R was OPOR.

I had run Radflo and Icon on the T4R...really liked the Radflo except they had to be fully rebuilt after just 2 years. While I had them rebuilt I went with Icon - which I really liked as well. Radflo was a bit stiffer and handled big hits well whereas Icon handled washboard stuff with ease. Went with King this time because I heard good things...I think any of those three are good, but based on time alone the Icon's last longer. Not what you always hear out there but that was my experience.

This is what I had on the T4R when I sold it.

Last edited:
Owned a fully modded 10' 5th Gen T4R Limited 4x4 and own a 14' GX460 Luxury. Love the look of the T4R and it has a lot of aftermarket support, but it is under-powered if you drive at all on hills/mountain passes - it constantly searches for gears. The GX doesn't do that.
Both have ample room, but the GX is the luxury version and it shows. Ultimately it comes down to what you can get for the price your willing to pay right now.

View attachment 2090890View attachment 2090900
Those are two beautiful rigs. That ARB bumper and the lighting setup on the 4runner looks great. I NEED it.

Those are two beautiful rigs. That ARB bumper and the lighting setup on the 4runner looks great. I NEED it.
That was all custom by me...had to retrofit VisionX Led from a Jeep JK kit for fogs, and then find slim profile to fit in the gaps. The VisionX cannons were great and throw a lot of light.

That was all custom by me...had to retrofit VisionX Led from a Jeep JK kit for fogs, and then find slim profile to fit in the gaps. The VisionX cannons were great and throw a lot of light.
KVA, I see you're in Redondo Beach. I'm in San Clemente. It seems there are a few of us overlander GX'ers here in So. Cal (LA and south). We should try getting us all together and do a day trip in our local hills and/or deserts. Especially now that the weather is getting cooler.

KVA, I see you're in Redondo Beach. I'm in San Clemente. It seems there are a few of us overlander GX'ers here in So. Cal (LA and south). We should try getting us all together and do a day trip in our local hills and/or deserts. Especially now that the weather is getting cooler.
There is a lot of us in LA/OC - just check out GXOR on FB. I'm up for a day trip.

View attachment 2090900

Got any more pics of the front of the GX and some details? My main issue with it and why I went with the T4R was all the low hanging plastic. You look to have taken care of that all around but it surely involved some cutting. :D

Got any more pics of the front of the GX and some details? My main issue with it and why I went with the T4R was all the low hanging plastic. You look to have taken care of that all around but it surely involved some cutting. :D
I haven't cut anything from the front of the GX - I've been looking for a front bumper forever for this model ('14+) which is challenging as everything out has its shortcomings. Leaning towards Ironman as the MetalTech version kills me they use zip ties to secure the wheel well liner - that alone is a deal breaker or I'd be running it already.

So basically, just doing the lift gave it a lot of clearance. The skid plates give it protection but the bumper liner on the '14 is huge and contains the grill and everything else as one unit (with a lot of screws and clips), which is annoying vs. the 10-13' model years.

Don't have any pics but can take some if you tell me what you want to see.

☝ Thread hijack.
:oops: Yep, you caught me... I high jacked the thread.
I'll be starting another thread in the near future about that topic. Too bad you're so far east! Unless you're up to a road trip out west! ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom