GX460 or FJ Cruiser?!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@xlx Is that pic of your GX with no lift, just wheels and tires? What’s the easiest/nicest looking way to beef up the GX up front without a lift? Possible using stock wheels or no?

@xlx Is that pic of your GX with no lift, just wheels and tires? What’s the easiest/nicest looking way to beef up the GX up front without a lift? Possible using stock wheels or no?

Stock wheels with no lift and 32" AT's.

Dp3zPtr.jpg

Yes. They are 17” TRD Pros off a TRD 4Runner on 265 70 17 BFG KO2s.
They are as big as you can go with no mods or rubbing. My GX is completely stock and still has the running boards. The C rated ones give you a nice firm ride. I like the stock look on the TRD wheels.

A quick note, by going with 265/70/17’s you’ll get about an extra inch or so in height just from the tire change over the OEM 265/55/18 (or 265/60/18).

I have both. 2012 6MT FJ Cruiser and a 2016 GX. LOVE my FJ but the GX is a really great vehicle. So much calmer to drive. Lexus really figured out the luxury feel that's for sure. Calm.

For your stated purposes, I'd go with the GX. For any mild offroading you may do, the GX will hang with an FJ and as stated before, the manual FJ and GX both have the full time 4wd transfer case. But V8 power in the GX for the same gas mileage..

If you are dead set on an FJ which is doesn't sound like you are, try and get a '10+. Upgrades to the motor and most of the little glitches have been solved.

Test drive both and I'm sure you'll know which to live with. They drive very different. Happy hunting!

When you roll down the highway for 14 hours just getting point A to B the longer wheel base and comfort of the GX will hands down put a smile on you and your family's face.

The FJ with a good set of tires will outperform a GX with a good set of tires on the trail, but if you are driving basic trails you wont need the capability's of the FJ and you wont need to pick who stays at home for a trip.

If you want to go full build and comfort its possible in a GX.

DR16.jpg

In 2022, at least in my opinion, the reasons to buy an FJ over a GX460 are a) for a manual transmission, or b) to buy a low-mileage example in anticipation of rising prices and hopeful ambitions of strong resale for the nostalgia factor. Thing is, both are good choices. A perfect FJ is $20-30k, which gets a solid GX that brings V8 power and comfort/luxury the FJ can only dream of. I've driven more FJs than I can count, owned a bunch of 4Runners, and own a GX460 now. My advice? Take one of each on the longest test-drive you can and decide which you like the most.

If you want to go full build and comfort its possible in a GX.
It's not only possible, but very do-able. I don't think I could have built a more capable AND comfortable vehicle on ANY other vehicle. My wife and I absolutely LOVE our GX and they way we've built it. FYI, previous overland builds have been an F350 crewcab: waaaayyy toooo big and not as comfortable as the GX, 100 series Landcruiser: not as many creature comforts as the GX and getting long in tooth.
The closest would probably be a 200 series Landcruiser (or newer model), but then you're just getting too big for many trails.
And forget about any other domestic, Asian or European (e.g. Land Rover, or...). There's either not the reliability (read: Land Rover or Jeep) or aftermarket support for all the others.

Hey, guys! Here’s the scoop – I wanted an FG cruiser ever since I saw it at the Detroit auto show as a concept car. I don’t currently do any off roading – never really had the opportunity or time, but wouldn’t mind learning!

It’s time to buy another vehicle since our two oldest are now driving, and I was set on getting a manual FJ cruiser. I just love the way they look.

After doing some research, however, I stumbled across the GX 460 and although I think they look a little boring in stock form, seems super capable and can look pretty great with some new tires and maybe a lift.

Part of me likes the idea of the GX being a bit more luxurious as this will be mainly an on road vehicle. I’ll be driving it back-and-forth to our cabin which is a couple hours each way probably a few times a month. Otherwise, it’ll be short trips around town.

I don’t think there’s really a right or wrong answer because it’s like comparing apples to oranges. I’m just looking for some feedback that might be helpful in making a decision. Both cars I’m looking at are rust free and about the same price and mileage. The FJ is a 2007 manual transmission and the GX 460 is a 2012 premium.

Any advice y’all can give me would be super helpful!
I built this FJ over the past year. I truly love it. BUT I am now wondering if I should have built a GX460 to get a better on-road ride. If I can swing it, I may build a GX460 rig too. But I'm still doing a few things to my fj (regearing right now for the 35's)

fj.jpg

fj3.jpg

I built this FJ over the past year. I truly love it. BUT I am now wondering if I should have built a GX460 to get a better on-road ride. If I can swing it, I may build a GX460 rig too. But I'm still doing a few things to my fj (regearing right now for the 35's)

View attachment 3163898

View attachment 3163899
That is a great and functional looking FJ! I was looking at those before my GX but some friends of mine have told me how poor the outward visibility is on them when wheeling.

I will say that the FJ has the best windshield wipers of any vehicle I've ever seen. This has nothing to do with their actual performance but the 3 tiny wipers amuse me to no end. (2nd place goes to the 90s Mercedes with the one center mounted oscillating wiper)

I will say that the FJ has the best windshield wipers of any vehicle I've ever seen. This has nothing to do with their actual performance but the 3 tiny wipers amuse me to no end. (2nd place goes to the 90s Mercedes with the one center mounted oscillating wiper)
Don't forget about the MG Midget's with their 3 wiper blades and early American pickup trucks that the wipers swung from the top of the windshield.

The three wipers was amusing. Visibility is atrocious, anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or in denial.

The three wipers was amusing. Visibility is atrocious, anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying or in denial.
Guess I'm lying or in denial... with a rudimentary grasp of spacial awareness and the ability to lean forward its not that bad.

About the same visibility as an ext cab truck with a topper or bro'verlanders with molle panels in their quarter windows. :meh:

View attachment 3163898

View attachment 3163899
That’s a pretty cool looking FJ. Loving that green.

Reactions: r2m
Guess I'm lying or in denial... with a rudimentary grasp of spacial awareness and the ability to lean forward its not that bad.

About the same visibility as an ext cab truck with a topper or bro'verlanders with molle panels in their quarter windows. :meh:

In comparison to almost any other SUV/truck the visibility in the FJC is trash at best.

For road trips that often, get yourself a GX460 or heck check out a LX570

They actually kind of suck, functionally, I had a helluva time finding wiper blades that worked well on my FJ. Other than that they were fine and I did find the 3-wiper thing amusing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom