Guidance on basic recovery gear, please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@CharlieS - your initial list is solid.

I'll +1 to soft shackles, and a proper, full-size shovel. Consider additional (or longer) snatch strap - 30ft may not always be enough. I would also add a non-stretching tow rope. Another good idea would be a second hitch receiver/shackle combo. Whatever vehicle you come across needing help, or one that comes across you needing help, may not have a proper recovery point, but pretty much everyone has a hitch.

In addition to a very similar list of recovery gear, I also keep an emergency food bag containing:
- tiny, single burner backpacking stove (about $50 at MEC/REI); takes up about the same volume as a cellphone
- two fuel containers for the above stove
- a ziplock with a few cups of white rice
- salt and pepper packets
- metal cup, a few stacking bowls, utensils
- waterproof matches and a lighter
- four or five 500ML water bottles
- collapsable water bowl for the dog

All this (and there's likely more I'm forgetting) fits into a small (roughly 8" x 12" x 8") bag, and gives me peace of mind that if I have to spend the night somewhere (either on the trail or even on a closed highway), I won't be starving. That amount of rice can sustain a few people for a few days without an issue. The bag also has a shoulder strap should I decide to hike out.

Soft Shackles and Kinetic rope are much easier, safer and protect towing areas of your vehicle by a high %

Also the fact that they are lighter to transport. Metal shackles are heavy and if they snap, they can be very dangerous.

We got our gear from K72 Rope and so far great product

k72 Rope by Guardian of Bravery.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom