GTurbo Install...what gaskets? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I had ordered OEM gaskets before receiving my GTurbo and found that it shipped with new gaskets as well. Any reason I should use one over the other? I haven't seen a lot of failed gaskets threads on here, so I assume either should suffice, but I have them both to choose from.

I plan on removing the turbo and manifold as one unit, any gotcha's I should watch out for from those that have done this job?

It's a pain to get the whole manifold and turbo out in one piece because it's HEAVY and quite awkward. It's the right way to do it though. I'd personally use the Toyota gaskets when you put it all back together.

I'm planning the work for when I'll have some people around to assist with the heavy lifting, but it's a great point. Probably not worth hauling my engine hoist back to my place for if I can get a couple extra sets of hands.

Agreed with Rock40

getting the dump pipe clear of turbo flange studs might be a problem if the exhaust is staying in place

I had some issues getting the manifold back in place after replacing the exhaust manifold studs with aftermarket studs that were 10mm longer than stock. I can't remember the exact issue, may have been clearance between manifold, studs and AC pump. spend some time and unbolt/move a much stuff as you can to give room to work.

I assume you will reseal the split flange, if not do it or else it will leak, ask me how I know

I assume you will reseal the split flange, if not do it or else it will leak, ask me how I know

I was going to roll the dice and leave it...is this a terrible idea? I haven't seen much about this being an issue, but I remember how much trouble it gave you. If I'm going to do this, I'll have to reschedule the job as I don't have new seals on hand. Has anyone else done this as part of a turbo upgrade?

Yeah, I replaced them when I fitted my turbo. The original seal was baked hard, and solid. It was a PITA to separate the two halves, and I had to grind the old rings out of the grooves they were so jammed in. I had similar experience when I rebuilt my 1HD-T previously.

I think its reasonably common for them to leak

Well, I don't have new rings, and I'm looking to do the job tomorrow, so I think I'll have to skip it for now. I'll add them to the next parts order and have them on the shelf if it turns out I need them down the road.

Why remove the manifold? Is it leaking?

Funny you should ask...it wasn't. That I was aware of.

Started some light teardown tonight after I got the kiddo to bed. Noticed one end of the heat shield was clean, and the other is BLACK. Looking on the manifold there appears to be a bit on the section just next to the slipjoint, so I'm guessing it's leaking. Don't tempt fate kids.

So what are the part #'s I need to track down?

1X 17183-17010 - COLLAR, MANIFOLD
2X 96732-24042 - STD. PART
2X 17151-17010 - RING, EXHAUST MANIFOLD

57A50ED4-2B28-4814-965C-9467FC2578D2.jpeg
30B9617C-C188-417C-9BC2-47F4E2555FFA.jpeg
diag_AuBeu8.png

diag_AuBeu8.png

Last edited:
Well, I guess I'm putting this all back together for the time being. Ordered new collar, rings, and O-rings to rebuild the manifold, new manifold to head gasket, and studs and nuts for the manifold to head and manifold to turbo connections, no more surprises when I tackle this again in a couple weeks.

So what's the best way to go about separating the manifold once I get it out? Chemical? Just pull it apart with your hands?

@mudgudgeon You mentioned having to grind the rings out, that was once you got it seperated I guess, how bad was it to get apart if it was that bad inside?

So what's the best way to go about separating the manifold once I get it out? Chemical? Just pull it apart with your hands?

@mudgudgeon You mentioned having to grind the rings out, that was once you got it seperated I guess, how bad was it to get apart if it was that bad inside?

My 1HD-T manifold came apart reasonably easily.
My HZJ105 manifold was a total ball bag to separate. I had to soak it with penetrating oil, then it took a lot of twisting, hammering, swearing, levering, more penetrating oil, more swearing.

After it was separated, I couldn't budge the steel rings. They were seized in the grooves in the small half manifold. Took done careful grinding with a zip disk to get them out.

Hey someone may have already covered this, but before you go looking for all the separate pieces like I did, Toyota actually packages turbo gaskets as a kit. Thats the inlet/outlet, oil connections, and possibly manifold gaskets (can't remember on that one), plus some other stuff. Got it from Beno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom