Group Buy: 80/450 Welded aluminum expedition Roof Racks, Drawers, Gull Wings & Tailgate Storage (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just picked up the last items that I had ordered from Theo from Rugged Bound from the local LTL terminal. Penthouse XL RTT, 3 x Load Bars, Drawer Kit, 270 Awning, and Tailgate door.

I opened the last of my boxes and the load bars packing had a tear, and some of the nuts and bolts were loose. Amazingly, I think I am just one washer short. :p I call that a win.

Although, the locking washers have me a bit confused. See second picture. Only one mount out of the six has them. They all have locking nuts, making locking washers not necessary. Or, should they be used and I need to pick up more?

One of the load bar mounts has a cracked plastic liner (3rd pic), but I don't think impacts function.

The drawer system looks really nice. I have an extra bolt and washer...it just dropped out of its packing. Not the same size washer as one missing with the load bars. I don't know where it goes. Just extra as of now.

There is a divider for each drawer and a tip up work surface, but missing are the 2 drop-in boxes.

All told, just one broken plastic bit, one missing washer, and a tear on the 270 awning cover. Not too bad since these items came from South Africa.

View attachment 2675966
View attachment 2675964View attachment 2675984
Karl, I can replace that gutter guard. The Nyloc nuts indeed mean the lock washers are optional. Do you think a forklift clipped that load bar bar ? It was clear of the pallet edges on all sides to something must have hit it. Send me a PM response - we can take this one off-line.

Okay peeps, I need to see some pics of these drawers installed.

20210516_102016_HDR.jpg

20210503_185855_HDR.jpg

Also made a flatform and could store small items underneath but it was mainly for my furry child. Also put an auxelery battery on the side wired to a solar on the roof for a fridge and what not. Liked the fact everything is not permanently installed.
Anymore info on that battery set up? I was thinking of trying something similar.

I like that ledge you built. My pup is getting too old and struggles sometimes to get all the way up, I've been thinking of ditching my second row and doing something similar for him.

Ro.jpg

It’s the real deal, folks. Fantastic packaging, solidly made, very tight fit (good thing)... Really happy.

Notes:

Even if you plan to keep your carpet in, I recommend taking it out for a deep clean and inspection first. I found a couple open holes I didn’t know about that I needed to seal. Plus, clean carpet is nice. Only took me a hour or so to get a good base after work a few days before installing. I do not really see a reason to not keep the carpet in unless you’re opposed to a couple small holes for the drill holes.

The cargo hook slits in the carpet near the second row are perfect for putting the mounting brackets through. Looks great.

For the love of God, be sure to install the side wing supports before installing the drawer system. It clearly says that in the instructions, but I must have been too excited to notice. Even with wobbles, extensions, my Chapman set... I couldn’t get to the bottom ones as well as I’d like.

Do a hardware check before lugging it into your truck. I had everything I needed, but found one nutsert to be loose which made it difficult to get the screw out for getting the brackets in place. For reinstalling into that nutsert, just heavy tension kept it in place enough to get everything fastened down, no biggie, just easier to discover out of the truck is all.

The wings are tight. Very snug against the interior panels. Instructions call out that trimming may be needed, but in my opinion I think this is a win. No rattles, not going to be bouncing around... I am happy they are this snug.

The second row’s end attachment wasn’t a direct alignment, but after tightening the hardware down I’m starting to think it is intentional. While a “hassle” to maneuver, I’d venture to say that the brackets provide multi-axis tension in an area that could use it.

I do still need to drill the new holes for the front and figure out what hardware to use, but the job looks easy. @Skippyd any insight as to what should have been there? Clearly we’ll have to use something different, but general direction on diameter and length (M8x40 or something?)

Mine had a February build date and I do have the baskets. Nice stuff!

How are the drawer extension locks working for folks? I tinkered with the lever to hold them in the extended position. While it works, I’m not convinced I’m doing it right as it doesn’t feel entirely secure.

I’m still working on how I want to use the L-track I got. Also working with Theo on potentials for a fridge slide. I don’t go on mega trips, so I use an RTIC 65 that is just too big for the 60L slides.

If you level your second row, they appear to be right in line with the drawers for an excellent sleep platform. Just ordered a Megamat, so we’ll see!

Additional weight tucked my truck on OME springs and BP-51s about 1/4”

75D1E8D1-99F4-4235-A6A6-EDE79F3380C9.jpeg

94E6DF6B-708B-4D38-B1B9-C83B2FD3B53A.jpeg

BDCFBFDC-FDEC-4E53-BDA0-9D6E10500298.jpeg

A09D35B2-E3A6-4674-AA8A-00AD45F6B274.jpeg

92CFC5AF-EA7A-4E62-A258-B070CBDC9D6D.jpeg

3A1B3009-9DC4-4848-BFBD-2F46B879C02A.jpeg

ED1ECDE9-222E-4BF9-B236-2384D544E407.jpeg

1F036EB7-EFFD-4DDD-A556-B671BD4A380B.jpeg

Last edited:
For the rear mounting bolts I used 1/4-20 stainless bolts, 1 inch length. Flat washers on top and bottom and used a nylock stainless nut. I drilled the hole to 5/16" and put in a rubber grommet with 1/4" ID. When I tightened the nut the rubber flange on both sides squished out to even with the edge of the washer sealing the hole.

is there any chance of a gx470 drawer sale?? Asking for a friend...
We actually did run a group buy for GX 460 and 470 over on the GXOR forum pages on MUD and we posted it on GXOR FB Group to help spread the word. Right now we need to get back to paying bills. If we do not have what you need in stock we can extend you a pre-order discount of 20% from our listed MSRP. Give us a PM if that is something you are keen on.

We actually did run a group buy for GX 460 and 470 over on the GXOR forum pages on MUD and we posted it on GXOR FB Group to help spread the word. Right now we need to get back to paying bills. If we do not have what you need in stock we can extend you a pre-order discount of 20% from our listed MSRP. Give us a PM if that is something you are keen on.
You Sir have a deal!! The Storage Box with dual drawers are calling my name!! I am a little north of Austin so about 3hrs away. I would love to drive down and pick up a set when they are built!! PM SENT!!

You Sir have a deal!! The Storage Box with dual drawers are calling my name!! I am a little north of Austin so about 3hrs away. I would love to drive down and pick up a set when they are built!! PM SENT!!
Can someone email me the instructions

Any chance of one of these happening again?

Last edited:
Any chance of one of these happening again?
If there is a MUD community support for another group buy we will do it - we just closed a group buy for the Grenadier drawer for a closed FB owners’s group - we are happy to do them when they make sense.

Right now we do however have some customers who placed pre-orders on drawers and racks that are currently sold out - if we were to do a group buy our first stipulation would be those customers (even if they are not MUD members) are folded into that price point (i.e. we would issue them refunds on their pre-orders to align with the group buy) - that simply means we would need to hit some minimums on each category to confirm the group buy execution for that category.

What products are you looking at? Let’s see what we can do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom