Group Buy: 80/450 Welded aluminum expedition Roof Racks, Drawers, Gull Wings & Tailgate Storage (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was planning to install over the carpet. Is that not advisable?
I installed my drawer over carpet. Since I couldn't secure the side brackets for now. I think the carpeting helps keep the drawer in place due to friction vs metal to metal which could make it move more easily.

Picked mine up today! Cut myself being stupid, and using the metal straps to lower it into the back of the cruiser off the loading dock. Should have worn gloves or waited for help to load it in the back. However, it was very nicely packaged. Just a warning to any other impatient folks that what to be He-man.

Can you guys check if the drop in boxes was included with your drawer?

I just got a reminder to pay for the shipping in my promotions folder. Reminder? 🤔

I checked my promotions folder, which I don't really check that often, and the first email was there.

If you haven't seen a shipping invoice yet, check for: "Ostrich-Wing USA, LLC dba Rugged Bound Supply Co <mailer@waveapps.com>" in your spam, or promotion folders.

I have a 1994, same situation.

View attachment 2664493

View attachment 2664494

Ok, maybe the ear's on the wrong side in this picture, but you get the idea. No hole either way.
Theo said it's epoxy on that location. I ised email and a hammer and it's metal.

20210504_075448.jpg

I came home to my tailgate storage box. OMG was it packaged great! Took me a long time to get it unwrapped, I can honestly say it's the most well packaged thing I've ever received in the mail! Really mad I didn't get drawers now...lol

Great job with the group buy!
I really try, and when I get feedback like this it makes my days better. I am not yet through shipping everything - and I am burning the candle both ends over here - thanks to all for your patience and trust.

Reactions: HMM
I really try, and when I get feedback like this it makes my days better. I am not yet through shipping everything - and I am burning the candle both ends over here - thanks to all for your patience and trust.
Kudos to Theo! He went above and beyond to please us.

So update on the rear bracket hole-that-'aint. The 80 Series load area floor pan part number for 1990-1992 HDJ81 (Which is the older 1HDT I drive and what most turbo diesel imports are over here is
5831160260PAN, REAR FLOOR

And for 1992-up FZJ80L-GNPEK (VX spec LHD FZJ80) is:

5831160200 and -60211, so it appears there is a variation in the sub-part number but they drawing still shows the plug holes (see below)

1993-1998 FZJ80G-GCPNK part number is 5831160221 and shows the plug hole.

If the US-only spec Cruiser for some reason has these holes filled up/closed up at factory the obvious recourse is to drill a hole, bolt through and use a bead of silicone under and over the washer both side and know you have gone toe rest-of-world spec - everyone else has a hole here ;)

I will update the instructions once I get hold of a US Spec 80 in Houston to go through thoroughly so we can be 100% accurate and manage expectations better. Sorry for the miscommunication to all.

Theo

1620162892414.png
1620163820899.png

Can you guys check if the drop in boxes was included with your drawer?
So we figured out Big Country 4x4 started sending their updated drawers which since March 2021 has made these boxes optional. Two reasons:
1. Cost management (steel and aluminum prices increased again)
2. A lot of users didn't care for the boxes as they are extremely heavy duty

We were not aware the change would affect retroactive orders (like our group buy order) and for those who absolutely want to box I will make it right. Please ping me directly so I can keep track of the numbers better.

Theo

So we figured out Big Country 4x4 started sending their updated drawers which since March 2021 has made these boxes optional. Two reasons:
1. Cost management (steel and aluminum prices increased again)
2. A lot of users didn't care for the boxes as they are extremely heavy duty

We were not aware the change would affect retroactive orders (like our group buy order) and for those who absolutely want to box I will make it right. Please ping me directly so I can keep track of the numbers better.

Theo

Their web site still shows that the drop-in boxes are included: Big Country 4x4 and Rugged Bound

I am still waiting on mine, but I hope it includes them.

1620168151093.png

Last edited:
Their web site still shows that the drop-in boxes are included: Big Country 4x4 and Rugged Bound

I am still waiting on mine, but I hope it includes them.

View attachment 2665394
Yup - they are as guilty as me updating their site, I will remind them. We discussed this on a conference call back in early March when their 2021 price increases were released to global dealers. I am guessing a few drawers will have them if they are from Feb stock, but definitely not all, seeing as they clearly applied the change retroactively to my January orders. I will make it right if yours does not have it.

Making progress getting my tailgate storage installed. I will probably use the carpet as well but I wanted try out the flex seal liquid because I have another project in mind for it. I figured this would be a good test to see how it works and if it's terrible it'll be covered up regardless. So far I'm impressed, it's giving me a rubberized coating and helping those sharp edges that I didn't do a great job on filing down. I also needed to paint a little more of the tailgate lid to match the monstaliner, had some door jamb matching paint left thankfully. Everything should be dry enough to finish up the install tomorrow.

Start.jpg

Flex seal.jpg

99% done, I'm really happy with it. Gives me the room for my tow straps and other recovery gear. Somehow I lost a rivet and then I messed one up so that's all that is left to do. Sadly I didn't have a box of the right sized rivets so I'll have to run to Lowe's today... And instead of drilling new holes I noticed everything lined up with the carpet panel holes for the plastic clips so I got some stainless washers that made the hole smaller (no drilling required then!). 1 hole on the door frame wasn't drilled out all the way through so I'm going to have to do that when I get another pack of rivets. Only real hiccup was my locks are keyed different, I wasted a lot of time since I originally thought the keys were wrong...lol I finally picked up the other lock and it worked. I missed the fact I had 2 sets of keys but luckily they were in the bag as well. I can't think of a reason I'll ever lock these so I just threw the keys in my tool box.

Washers.jpg

Done.jpg

99% done, I'm really happy with it. Gives me the room for my tow straps and other recovery gear. Somehow I lost a rivet and then I messed one up so that's all that is left to do. Sadly I didn't have a box of the right sized rivets so I'll have to run to Lowe's today...
I love when manufacturers include a few extra screws/bolts/nuts/rivets...either because they might leave one out by accident and extra means you will never be short, or you might lose one...I wish more would do it.

Well I should have read the directions better and laid out the rivets. There were 2 sizes (shallow and longer depth) and I mixed one up. I actually had extra because the drawer lid holes were slightly too small so I used rivets I had on hand instead of the supplied rivets. It was either that or drill out the holes slightly. I had the same size large rivets I needed but the rivet depth was too short on the pack I had.

Since I was still rushing my flex seal stuff this morning I decided not to do any drilling. Only negative review I read about this flex seal liquid stuff is that it attracts lint and stuff. Probably not going to look black long if that's the case. I'll be cutting that carpet to fit in the next few days anyway.

Well I should have read the directions better and laid out the rivets. There were 2 sizes (shallow and longer depth) and I mixed one up. I actually had extra because the drawer lid holes were slightly too small so I used rivets I had on hand instead of the supplied rivets. It was either that or drill out the holes slightly. I had the same size large rivets I needed but the rivet depth was too short on the pack I had.

Since I was still rushing my flex seal stuff this morning I decided not to do any drilling. Only negative review I read about this flex seal liquid stuff is that it attracts lint and stuff. Probably not going to look black long if that's the case. I'll be cutting that carpet to fit in the next few days anyway.

I am sending more rivets to everyone who ordered tail gate covers. The factory assembles the hinges to the lids in South Africa for their local customers, hence the BOM calls for 8. Our shipment had all hinges loose so you need 16 (I came to this conclusion last night based on feedback). Sending out today, save everyone a trip to Home Depot and the waste to buy 50 when you only need 8+.

I am sending more rivets to everyone who ordered tail gate covers. The factory assembles the hinges to the lids in South Africa for their local customers, hence the BOM calls for 8. Our shipment had all hinges loose so you need 16 (I came to this conclusion last night based on feedback). Sending out today, save everyone a trip to Home Depot and the waste to buy 50 when you only need 8+.
You don’t have to send me any extras. I use them every once and a while so it’s nice to have them around. If you look in my last pic, you can see the 3 packs I pulled out sitting in the back of my land cruiser, you can never have too many...lol

And I had the correct number included, I just took 1 to Ace Hardware to get the right washers. That’s the one I misplaced somewhere on the return trip.

Just so people don’t glaze over it, I want to make sure to bring @RuggedBound customer service to light. In a time where the response is generally “tough luck”, Theo has stepped up multiple times here. ANY hiccup I’ve seen from folks that took part of this group buy results in an immediate response, resolution, and minimal impact.

Drawer organizers missing? He’ll send ‘em even though there was a design change (so out of his pocket).

Rivets? He’s sending them.

My cargo management (unknowingly) wasn’t in my shipment for my drawers, and Theo reached out to let me know he is shipping them on his dime.

I know there are more stories. I’m excited to finally install my drawers.

I’m pleasantly encouraged to see so much proactive correction however small or large. The running theme nowadays is a polar opposite. Refreshing and glad to have done business!!

Just so people don’t glaze over it, I want to make sure to bring @RuggedBound customer service to light. In a time where the response is generally “tough luck”, Theo has stepped up multiple times here. ANY hiccup I’ve seen from folks that took part of this group buy results in an immediate response, resolution, and minimal impact.

Drawer organizers missing? He’ll send ‘em even though there was a design change (so out of his pocket).

Rivets? He’s sending them.

My cargo management (unknowingly) wasn’t in my shipment for my drawers, and Theo reached out to let me know he is shipping them on his dime.

I know there are more stories. I’m excited to finally install my drawers.

I’m pleasantly encouraged to see so much proactive correction however small or large. The running theme nowadays is a polar opposite. Refreshing and glad to have done business!!
Thanks for this. Not going to lie, it has been a mountain of work and I haven’t slept a good night in two weeks lol....

The main issue right now, honestly, is dealing with getting a spike of 60+ freight shipments out the door at a time where LTL freight is overloaded and a majority of these need a custom pallet (to keep your shipping low).
The teething problems of a few missing rivets and installation instruction or a modification needed to the existing instructions - those things we will knock out with them and we will only get better.

We are very excited to let this community know they have new options on the local market and there is quality, durability and many decades of experience behind the Big Country 4x4 products. Scaling up to US demands and needs is going to take a few months but that is something we relish.

The outpouring of support and positive feedback and gratitude sent my way directly via PM has been overwhelming. I try hard to make sure everyone is covered, but I am not perfect and stuff happens. I make it my mission to avoid stuff happening and if it does, address it, own it and fix it, and learn from it. Same goes for the products. Tweaks, changes, additions or bugs: we want to hear them all.

Very happy to see the photos coming in ! keep ‘em coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom