Group 31 battery install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello everyone.
I have been a long time follower, and I think it is time to contribute something to the community.
I always wanted to install Group 31 battery, but was having trouble finding a good description of the required modifications to the tray. Someone recommended cutting ribs out of the tray but it made it very week. So I decided just to make a battery tray myself to provide a very strong platform and at the same time great connection points for battery tie down.
IMG_20200802_164927.jpg

IMG_20200802_184715.jpg

IMG_20200802_190120.jpg

IMG_20200803_192808.jpg

Battery fits well, and I am not worried that it will go anywhere! I will share more details if anyone is interested. BTW positive basbar is covered with a plastic cap and was not installed when the picture was taken.
MM

Last edited:
Nicely done! What's the thickness of the bar you bent for the mount? Did you use a brake or just do it in a vise?

The bar is 3/16. Made a template out of copper wire, repeated with the bar. Have a press brake that I made to go with my 12 ton press.
IMG_20200802_175515.jpg

Group 31 that I have is too tall to be sitting on top of OEM tray. I had to cut all of the bottom out. Some sheet metal also had to be punched in for more clearance.
IMG_20200802_174532.jpg
IMG_20200802_191122.jpg

IMG_20200802_172727.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! yeah, that looks sturdy enough! Nice job.

Very nice. I’ve been threatening to make one for years but every group 31 I’ve ever bought just dropped in with an extended tie down bar I made. This looks more secure. Might get inspired soon.

Mine was a bit too tall. Additionally, I always wanted to have a metal platform there.

@MMaxim out of curiosity why did you go with the Duracell? I know absolutely nothing about batteries so forgive my ignorance. A quick search and im confused...marine,gel,rv,LiFePO4..... 😳😳???

@MMaxim out of curiosity why did you go with the Duracell? I know absolutely nothing about batteries so forgive my ignorance. A quick search and im confused...marine,gel,rv,LiFePO4..... 😳😳???
No reason other than my local battery store had one in stock that was the closest to 1000 CCA.
You are right, there is a ton of info online. Just keep researching and it will all become clear quick.

Hello everyone.
I have been a long time follower, and I think it is time to contribute something to the community.
I always wanted to install Group 31 battery, but was having trouble finding a good description of the required modifications to the tray. Someone recommended cutting ribs out of the tray but it made it very week. So I decided just to make a battery tray myself to provide a very strong platform and at the same time great connection points for battery tie down.
View attachment 2395715

View attachment 2395722
View attachment 2395718

View attachment 2395729

Battery fits well, and I am not worried that it will go anywhere! I will share more details if anyone is interested. BTW positive basbar is covered with a plastic cap and was not installed when the picture was taken.
MM
Would you ever consider making one of these for the passenger side? I am trying to install this but she's a bloated cow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom