Grom VLine (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Can you also display whatever app you're using in the front screen in the rear entertainment? Like if you're watching YouTube or screen mirroring at front, can that be displayed at the rear entertainment as well?
GROM says HDMI-out does not currently work and is in development.

I recently became a Grom Dealer and have arranged shipment of a unit for my 08 this coming Tuesday. Grom and I are working on this knowing that it may be different than the units that are currently working. I will be be using the VL2 in my 09 LS460L as well. I Will provide feedback. This will hopefully fill the gap between old and new technology. You must understand that the limitations will be with the factory Hardware. By no means will it Improve the clunky feel of our old units. It will be a great improvement over stock.
As I have a 2010 I’ll be watching this with GREAT interest!

Details on the Group buy:

5-9 orders: $529.95
10-24:$479.95
25+$449.95

Free shipping on all orders. They'll allow the group buy to stay open for one week only. After I do the review, if there is interest, I'll organize the actual group buy.

Any updates on a Group Buy? Thank you

I recently became a Grom Dealer and have arranged shipment of a unit for my 08 this coming Tuesday. Grom and I are working on this knowing that it may be different than the units that are currently working. I will be be using the VL2 in my 09 LS460L as well. I Will provide feedback. This will hopefully fill the gap between old and new technology. You must understand that the limitations will be with the factory Hardware. By no means will it Improve the clunky feel of our old units. It will be a great improvement over stock.
Can you find out what Model will work with a 2020 LC? I was told the 2017 Lexus version and now hearing shipping is delayed to early March due to a video cable. I really need this ASAP for an install Eric is working on.

So, installed the VL2 Tuesday after work. Everything is hidden under the pass side Dash under the Blower Motor. I did not want to sacrifice my Glove Box. So far everything works well! I purchased a Hum OBD 2 unit with WIFi from Verizon so that I don’t have to tether from my iPhone. I only have one day of driving on it so far. When the iPhone is plugged in (no CarPlay by Bluetooth yet) its been flawless and can run Waze and Spotify at the same time. It’s a great update so far. Don’t hate my dash anymore. I Can provide pics of the install if anyone is interested. Hardest part is the mounting of the VL2. I will be talking to Grom about the other years soon.
151F2F77-68EC-43EC-B12B-2A34E2C7C0CB.jpeg

I got an earlier email from them regarding the LC16+

"We have module for LC up to 2013-2017. 2018-2020 will be available in few weeks."

So, installed the VL2 Tuesday after work. Everything is hidden under the pass side Dash under the Blower Motor. I did not want to sacrifice my Glove Box. So far everything works well! I purchased a Hum OBD 2 unit with WIFi from Verizon so that I don’t have to tether from my iPhone. I only have one day of driving on it so far. When the iPhone is plugged in (no CarPlay by Bluetooth yet) its been flawless and can run Waze and Spotify at the same time. It’s a great update so far. Don’t hate my dash anymore. I Can provide pics of the install if anyone is interested. Hardest part is the mounting of the VL2. I will be talking to Grom about the other years soon. View attachment 2218954

Oooo!!! I wonder if this will work with the USDM 2008 unit.

Oooo!!! I wonder if this will work with the USDM 2008 unit.
Mine is usdm 2008. Everything is working and I had about 26 hours drive time with it over the last 4 days. Overall, it’s a game changer. I used it mostly for Navi and Spotify. Apple Car Play is only working when plugged in as of now. It’s really good. Watched some YouTube videos as well.

If there is a group buy I will jump in on it, I have been eyeing these for a while to make the nav usable. I currently use an Ipad mini as a primary interface and just turn the factory screen off, but would prefer to have it more built in.

Another thing worth mentioning, although its a bit niche, is that if you have an Icom ID-5100a HAM Radio with the bluetooth adapter, you should be able to install the RS-MS1I app for Android on the Grom and control the radio from your factory screen. This is what I was planning to do with the Phoenix Automotive product, but it should work just as well on Grom. You should also be able to load the APRS.fi and QRZ apps as well. With a dedicated 4G LTE hotspot and a good external antenna, this setup could be as good as it gets.

I'm installing a mic outlet this weekend and with the Grom soon, I think I will have a pretty well integrated stealth comms setup with no extra faceplate to deal with mounting/removing or inviting unwanted attention. With App control possible, I'll probably also put a splitter on the mic cable and run one to a port in the face of my drawers for campsite comms at the tailgate.

The mic port will install in the auxiliary switch location:

Amazon product ASIN B07G9CMV89

Last edited:
Another thing worth mentioning, although its a niche, is that if you have an Icom ID-5100a HAM Radio with the bluetooth adapter, you should be able to install the RS-MS1I app for Android on the Grom and control the radio from your factory screen. This is what I was planning to do with the Phoenix Automotive product, but it should work just as well on Grom. You should also be able to load the APRS.fi and QRZ apps as well. With a dedicated 4G LTE hotspot and a good external antenna, this setup could be as good as it gets.

I hadn't even thought about this, that is a great bonus for those of us w onboard comms .

If there is a group buy I will jump in on it, I have been eyeing these for a while to make the nav usable. I currently use an Ipad mini as a primary interface and just turn the factory screen off, but would prefer to have it more built in.

Spoke with them. Now they have up to 2017 model. In 3-4 weeks they will have up to 2020 which I am interested in. If we get 25 people group buy, we will get $150 off from each unit.

Mine is usdm 2008. Everything is working and I had about 26 hours drive time with it over the last 4 days. Overall, it’s a game changer. I used it mostly for Navi and Spotify. Apple Car Play is only working when plugged in as of now. It’s really good. Watched some YouTube videos as well.
Can u share the link of the unit and place u bought it from?

I need to get this soon and would love to wait for the group buy, but not if its going to take 2 months to put together. I have some other work I want to do behind the dash and don't want to tear it apart more than once, so I want to get these projects done ASAP. How serious is the group buy and how quickly do y'all think we can get it together?

I need to get this soon and would love to wait for the group buy, but not if its going to take 2 months to put together. I have some other work I want to do behind the dash and don't want to tear it apart more than once, so I want to get these projects done ASAP. How serious is the group buy and how quickly do y'all think we can get it together?
Assuming the updates people are speaking of are software based , I can pull the trigger now if needed.

Spoke with them. Now they have up to 2017 model. In 3-4 weeks they will have up to 2020 which I am interested in. If we get 25 people group buy, we will get $150 off from each unit.
I would be interested in the 2020 model. Had to return the 2017 Lexus version as it is not compatible with 2020 LC. They said up to a month and are waiting for a video cable. Also looking forward to that wireless CarPlay feature.

Can u share the link of the unit and place u bought it from?
I ordered it direct. I’m a Grom reseller. I didn’t want to start a group buy until I had first hand knowledge of the product. I will be installing another 2 units in the next couple weeks. I’ll keep everyone posted if I have any issues. So far, I just don’t like tethering my phone every time so I purchased a HUM obd2 dongle with WiFi other than that, so far learning the little quirks has been fun. I’ll do a better update soon for people that want info on the good and the bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom