Grom VLine (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

did you lose any functionality of the old system? I'm assuming no issues with back-up cameras/sensors and climate control?

Would like to see how you mounted unit in your glovebox. Where you drilled the hole and ran the wire. Any other tips for installation??

Guys explain to a caveman such as myself what is the point of having something like this?
If it works as intended AA/Carplay would allow many of the most used features on your phone to be accessed on the head unit. For example, which do you prefer using google maps on your phone OR the factory nav to locate an address? If you're like me you consider every app on your phone to be far superior to the functions in the factory head unit.

@jeep2cruiser, I'm hoping for more feedback as you discover any quirks and have had enough time with it to share your likes/dislikes. Thanks!

Thank you and agree! I dont like my climate control integrated into the factory unit either.. would like to change all of that eventually..

Would like to see how you mounted unit in your glovebox. Where you drilled the hole and ran the wire. Any other tips for installation??

I will take some pics this evening and post! A few tips:

Watch this video to figure out how to disassemble the dashboard. All you need is a pry tool ($10 from autozone) and a 10mm socket.

Make sure the mat when you’re running the wires that non of them are pinched, it’s kind of tight behind the head unit so it takes a bit of finagling to get everything situated. I made this mistake and had to take everything back apart to Rerun a pinched wire. Besides this, it’s very straight forward!
If it works as intended AA/Carplay would allow many of the most used features on your phone to be accessed on the head unit. For example, which do you prefer using google maps on your phone OR the factory nav to locate an address? If you're like me you consider every app on your phone to be far superior to the functions in the factory head unit.

@jeep2cruiser, I'm hoping for more feedback as you discover any quirks and have had enough time with it to share your likes/dislikes. Thanks!

So I have had over a week to mess with it and all in all, I love it! It took awhile to figure out a few quirks but once I did it’s been great. I spent a few days chasing a static noise coming from the midrange. This took a lot of emails with GROM to figure out. It ended up being interference from the factory AUX plug. The remedy was to disconnect a 16pin connector that leads to the aux plug completely, I’m honestly not sure why it was there because I have not lost any functionality from not having that installed. I’ve also had to update the unit twice due to weird bugs such as the volume randomly popping up at the top of the screen and the boot up screen flickering. But after those two updates, everything works flawlessly.

Some cool features; if you plug in your phone before you start the car, it automatically goes to carplay. This is what I do 100% of the time. Carplay is amazing and idk what I did before it. Also, you can download many different apps from google play store. I have Hulu and YouTube installed so if you wanted (I don’t endorse this behavior lol) you could watch a show while you’re driving. There’s also a full internet browser. This unit is android based so you can do about 85% of what you could do with just a normal android tablet. Sound quality is great, it’s slightly quieter than the stock head unit. But unless you’re really trying to bump, you cannot tell a difference.

Watch this video to figure out how to disassemble the dashboard. All you need is a pry tool ($10 from autozone) and a 10mm socket.

Make sure the mat when you’re running the wires that non of them are pinched, it’s kind of tight behind the head unit so it takes a bit of finagling to get everything situated. I made this mistake and had to take everything back apart to Rerun a pinched wire. Besides this, it’s very straight forward!

So I have had over a week to mess with it and all in all, I love it! It took awhile to figure out a few quirks but once I did it’s been great. I spent a few days chasing a static noise coming from the midrange. This took a lot of emails with GROM to figure out. It ended up being interference from the factory AUX plug. The remedy was to disconnect a 16pin connector that leads to the aux plug completely, I’m honestly not sure why it was there because I have not lost any functionality from not having that installed. I’ve also had to update the unit twice due to weird bugs such as the volume randomly popping up at the top of the screen and the boot up screen flickering. But after those two updates, everything works flawlessly.

Some cool features; if you plug in your phone before you start the car, it automatically goes to carplay. This is what I do 100% of the time. Carplay is amazing and idk what I did before it. Also, you can download many different apps from google play store. I have Hulu and YouTube installed so if you wanted (I don’t endorse this behavior lol) you could watch a show while you’re driving. There’s also a full internet browser. This unit is android based so you can do about 85% of what you could do with just a normal android tablet. Sound quality is great, it’s slightly quieter than the stock head unit. But unless you’re really trying to bump, you cannot tell a difference.

I may have missed it, but do you have to physically plug in your phone or will this work via Bluetooth?

if you play a dvd, would it still work on both front and passenger screens when parked? Is the rear entertainment system function remains the same?

Does screen mirroring work with the VLINE2 unit as well? I noticed they have a separate unit they sell that does that but the VLINE2 specs says it supports AirPlay. I would also like to know/confirm if the wireless CarPlay will only be a firmware update which may require a call to Grom Audio. Also—if this is an android tablet essentially, it should support a mouse and that would permit use of a micro trackpad that can be used to minimize touchscreen use.

Chat session with GROM confirms it will support a trackpad/usb mouse. I suggest something like an Ergo trackpad as it has a Velcro backing that works well right in front of the cool box/center console where your hand would naturally hang over the arm rest. They also confirmed the wireless CarPlay will be OTA in a few months. If you order a VLINE2 now it will include the latest bug fixes. Screen mirroring is supported via HDMI cable and an Apple dongle. Airplay is not stable as of now.

WOW! This is amazing to see happening. I always thought my LC would just be outdated in the tech area. Thanks for all the pics and comments about uses. Anyone running straight Android Auto yet?

I recently became a Grom Dealer and have arranged shipment of a unit for my 08 this coming Tuesday. Grom and I are working on this knowing that it may be different than the units that are currently working. I will be be using the VL2 in my 09 LS460L as well. I Will provide feedback. This will hopefully fill the gap between old and new technology. You must understand that the limitations will be with the factory Hardware. By no means will it Improve the clunky feel of our old units. It will be a great improvement over stock.

Can you also display whatever app you're using in the front screen in the rear entertainment? Like if you're watching YouTube or screen mirroring at front, can that be displayed at the rear entertainment as well?

I recently became a Grom Dealer and have arranged shipment of a unit for my 08 this coming Tuesday. Grom and I are working on this knowing that it may be different than the units that are currently working. I will be be using the VL2 in my 09 LS460L as well. I Will provide feedback. This will hopefully fill the gap between old and new technology. You must understand that the limitations will be with the factory Hardware. By no means will it Improve the clunky feel of our old units. It will be a great improvement over stock.
Group buy?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom