Grom Vline Group Buy Round 2 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

One more tip. I added a USB extension cable to the second USB port that can be seen in the last pic above. This was run behind the ash tray so I can access it for a firmware reflash (only available on USB-2) without removing the center console.
This turned out to be convenient on more than one occasion when a new OTA update caused issues and I just reverted back to the last stable firmware from the GROM website.

I didn't think it could be done/didn't see enough room in there myself, really nice work. Very rarely I find I need to reset mine by pulling the power cable for like 30 minutes. Has that ever happened to you?

I got mine hooked up to test and decided I didn’t actually love CarPlay that much. I did confirm that you can squeeze it under the bar that supports the cup holders and that the cables are long enough to do that.

Since I bought mine with this group buy for $450, if one of you guys who missed the group buy wants it for $450+ shipping just PM me.
Edit: decided to hold onto it to see how wireless carplay works when/if it rolls out.

Last edited:
OK, I received mine on Friday. I installed today, it wasn't too bad at all. So far, all has worked as expected. Have not tested the Map/GPS function or calling, just Android and the stereo play quality.

I removed the wood trim around the stereo, the AC vents, then the 4 bolts on the screen/stereo assembly. The power and video cables were fairly obvious, the connectors only match the correct ones. I dropped the glove box down, then removed the panel behind the glove box (3 screws). The cables were easy to run. I put the GPS up in the right corner of the window and the microphone on the overhead center light housing, running the cables through the headliner and down the A-pillar (removed the handle, and the pillar trim lifted right out).

The Vline unit went into the glove box. I plugged everything in, installed a 16GB microSD formatted FAT32, and turned it on. Followed the initialization directions in the manual (on for a few seconds, then off for a minute). I left my DVD/CD changer plugged in (it's in the center console). After turning the car on after the initial boot, I pressed DISC once (for the DVD changer) then twice (for the Vline), and the Vline came right up.

I input my wifi password and checked for updates, said it was up to date. Installed Gapps, which reset the whole thing with new OS I think. Re-entered my wifi, logged into Google, downloaded a few apps. Still playing Spotify, the Levinson stereo sounds awesome.

Feedback: so far, I'm stoked. Want to try the map/nav and call experience. The older screen is not as slick as your phone, but by golly it works and looks OK.

0223201747 (Large).jpg

0223201835 (Large).jpg

0223201844 (Large).jpg

0223201856b (Large).jpg

0223201943 (Large).jpg

@ScottyS thanks for the writeup! I love the blown-apart dash pics. That's usually when I call my wife out and say "Uhh... do you know where this wire goes" - always looks worse than it is. ;)

Question: If you hadn't plugged the CD/DVD changer back in, would the button require just one push? I have ZERO interest in keeping that in place/working.

Thanks!

I can say that my vline wouldnt work leaving the cd player plugged in-so I disconnected the cable and now i push dvd once.
Per vline new updates coming out today to fix some issues (mine being bluetooth calling).

I should say that I have the 2004 LX 470 dash with the tape player, CD/DVD changer is in the center console.

@Manhattan I actually didn't unplug anything besides the video and power leads from the dash! No need to disconnect. My plan if the Vline didn't work with the DVD/CD in line was to delete the changer from the center console completely. Still might do it. No idea if it would require only one push instead of two, but honestly it doesn't matter, as the prompt comes up on the screen for each source when you push it.

I should say that I have the 2004 LX 470 dash with the tape player, CD/DVD changer is in the center console.

@Manhattan I actually didn't unplug anything besides the video and power leads from the dash! No need to disconnect. My plan if the Vline didn't work with the DVD/CD in line was to delete the changer from the center console completely. Still might do it. No idea if it would require only one push instead of two, but honestly it doesn't matter, as the prompt comes up on the screen for each source when you push it.

It is only one push to get to the VLine if the changer is removed.

I got mine installed over the weekend.

I have to hit the audio or cd changer button after going in reverse to get the vline display to pop up. I was under the impression that vline display would come back automatic.

Noticed the steering wheel voice button doesn't interface with vline. Is asked Grom about it and this is their reply.

"VLine does not use factory mic, so you need to use our supplied microphone for all voice oriented functions.
You can use steering wheel to access voice assistant. Usually press/hold previous button.
You can attach front camera to the VLine, all your factory eqiupment remain fully functional."

The screen has some faint horizontal flickering. Double checked if any of my cables are pinched and I think its from the old display. Its not that noticeable overall....maybe its the refresh rate on the monitor?

Mounted the mic on behind the review mirror. Is that what everyone else is doing?

Enjoying my limited time with it and android auto integration is awesome.

Any upside to leaving the VLine box in the glove compartment - accessing cables/ports?

I get that white flicker when on the "settings" page where white background. Otherwise never see it. I still cant get my microphone to work on calls. Tried update today but no dice. Maybe a carplay problem

I installed in glove and already have needed to access for unplugging (factory reset by pushing next track and tapping screen ten times wasnt working).

Count me in for the next one. I'm sorry to have missed out.

Any upside to leaving the VLine box in the glove compartment - accessing cables/ports?
If you have the room for it there- its a good place to keep it. At least until its all dialed in. Mine is velcro’d in place on the left side of the glove box. Ive had to disconnect the power on more than one occasion on the VL1- and if it were buried behind the nav console- it would suck to get at it.

Question for VL2 users: The VL1 had an equalizer and preamp function the was disabled with subsequent OTA updates- never knew why they did that. Has anyone tried the sound equalizer in the VL2 - does it work?

I decided to install and leave mine in the glove box because (a) that's a good a place as any, and (b) this is a microcomputer whose software is still under development - no way am I about to place it in an inaccessible location.

I'm just super stoked that Grom put in all the effort to develop this solution so that we don't have an ancient brick in the dash taking up space, and also so we can use the great factory sound system. I really, really, really did not want to have to install a full aftermarket dash solution.

Got mine installed this weekend, took about 1.5-2 hours for me. I've only done one radio replacement (years ago), so if you're familiar with pulling trim, etc., this could go much faster for you.

Overall pretty happy with it after very preliminary testing. Bluetooth definitely works well, I tried Android Auto for ~15 sec and it seemed to work, but I haven't really put it through it's paces yet.

I ran the USB extension cable and the mic cable sorta above the ignition so I can pop my phone in the holder that's right there while USB connected, and since I was running the USB I ran the mic cable there as well. Only the driver will see it & know it's there.

My only complaint so far is that the resolution doesn't seem optimized for the screen. Meaning, the interface's resolution isn't designed for the low-res screen, so the text, etc., looks like lossy compression. It looks pixelated and compressed, not just pixelated. However, I couldn't be happier to finally have a usable audio/map stream from my phone.

Any plans of another GB?

Got mine installed this weekend, took about 1.5-2 hours for me. I've only done one radio replacement (years ago), so if you're familiar with pulling trim, etc., this could go much faster for you.

Overall pretty happy with it after very preliminary testing. Bluetooth definitely works well, I tried Android Auto for ~15 sec and it seemed to work, but I haven't really put it through it's paces yet.

I ran the USB extension cable and the mic cable sorta above the ignition so I can pop my phone in the holder that's right there while USB connected, and since I was running the USB I ran the mic cable there as well. Only the driver will see it & know it's there.

My only complaint so far is that the resolution doesn't seem optimized for the screen. Meaning, the interface's resolution isn't designed for the low-res screen, so the text, etc., looks like lossy compression. It looks pixelated and compressed, not just pixelated. However, I couldn't be happier to finally have a usable audio/map stream from my phone.

Agreed on the screen resolution. It looks like when you don't have the right font installed on a PC and your web browser or word doc tries to render it, but can't quite do it correctly so it's hard to read.

Took me a little longer for install. I routed the mic up the A pillar and on the rear mirror. Haven't figured out where the phone will mount so I haven't tackled that yet.

If you have the room for it there- its a good place to keep it. At least until its all dialed in. Mine is velcro’d in place on the left side of the glove box. Ive had to disconnect the power on more than one occasion on the VL1- and if it were buried behind the nav console- it would suck to get at it.

Question for VL2 users: The VL1 had an equalizer and preamp function the was disabled with subsequent OTA updates- never knew why they did that. Has anyone tried the sound equalizer in the VL2 - does it work?

I have used the equalizer and it does work on the VL2.

Where is the VL2 EQ? Grom settings? And, how does that one work with the 100's settings - the bass, mid, treble settings in the Audio menu?

It works independently of the factory audio settings, and it's located on what I guess is the 'now playing' screen on Grom -- if you select Bluetooth as an audio source, for example, there's a little EQ icon you can select. I'm not sure if it affects all sources or if it's got per-source settings.

Am loving the carplay, but still cannot use well for phone calls (callers say they hear their voice echoing and my voice is muffled). Have mic run up buy sunroof cluster. Have worked with GROM on updates etc. but think maybe this is not designed for carplay calls? They now tell me I need to have BT-3 with vline to use for calls. Anyone having phone issues or successes particularly iphone?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom