GROM VLine - Google apps/Android&iPhone integration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Grom's unit does not implement "Android Auto" and "Apple Carplay". It just displays a copy of the phone screen on the monitor, and is only one way, i.e. you have to still use your phone to control the app. They might have an app that allows you to control your phone from the touch screen but the website doesn't mention such an app.

Grom's unit does not implement "Android Auto" and "Apple Carplay". It just displays a copy of the phone screen on the monitor, and is only one way, i.e. you have to still use your phone to control the app. They might have an app that allows you to control your phone from the touch screen but the website doesn't mention such an app.

Well &#*$. I thought these things - Grom and Vais SL3b-T - "integrated" the phones. Vais Tech is vague "You have a choice to control your music either from your radio or directly from the connected device" I'm assuming by "from your radio" they mean the dash knobs and not the touchscreen.

Well &#*$. I thought these things - Grom and Vais SL3b-T - "integrated" the phones. Vais Tech is vague "You have a choice to control your music either from your radio or directly from the connected device" I'm assuming by "from your radio" they mean the dash knobs and not the touchscreen.

The VAIS SL3B does integrate the phone (via CD/DVD/MD changer emulation), which does allow control through the phone/touch screen/physical buttons (including steering wheel audio controls), but does not do CarPlay or Android Auto.

The GROM VLine (1 or 2) can integrate the phone in multiple different ways or be used as a standalone Android device. I have very limited experience with the Android Auto on the VLine, but have used the CarPlay interface a good bit. The CarPlay interface works via the phone, touchscreen, physical buttons or voice controls. The Bluetooth interface is somewhat similar in usage to the VAIS SL3B and works via the phone, touchscreen, physical buttons. The iTunes GROM app again functions similar to the VAIS SL3B but using a "corded" connection.

I have zero experience with the GROM Vlite product, which what I believe @Dharma Dude was referring to, which is supposed to be a "limited" version of the VLine that just does "screen mirroring" of the phone.

I have a 6 or 7 year old VAIS system in my 100. And it, well... sucks. The BT doesn't stream music - it sort of works with the phone. The satellite/XM gets (estimating) 70% of the stations - it will just skip them, e.g. 101, 102, 109, 113...

Still no great option for iPhone users.

Last edited:
I have a 6 or 7 year old VAIS system in my 100. And it, well... sucks. The BT doesn't stream music - it sort of works with the phone. The satellite/XM gets (estimating) 70% of the stations - it will just skip them, e.g. 101, 102, 109, 113...

I hate sending them more money - glad the GROM VLine sounds like the way to go.

Just FYI, the GROM VLine is an interesting product, and I do thoroughly enjoy mine. It does add modern features to the archaic nav systems in our vehicles, but GROM does seem to introduce bugs from time to time. GROM does seem to be interested in fixing the bugs, but sometimes it does take months for them to fully resolve an issue. The recent Android 8.1 update has reintroduced a handful of bugs on my system. Overall you have to be willing to accept a device that is not as rock solid as the OEM system, but from my point of view, the features are worth the warts.

The full version does. It operates like any other CarPlay with touchscreen.

Either the previous poster was not accurate or he was talking about another of groms products but CarPlay on the VLine most certainly functions on the touchscreen and all buttons on steering wheel are functional.

The full version does. It operates like any other CarPlay with touchscreen.

Either the previous poster was not accurate or he was talking about another of groms products but CarPlay on the VLine most certainly functions on the touchscreen and all buttons on steering wheel are functional.

Apologies, I should have been more specific. I was referring to the Grom VLite which does not have Carplay or Android Auto. I know the VLine does a better job in that department.

Caution!

I did the latest GROM VLine 2 firmware update on 4/15. Everything looked good, but after reboot, the VLine disappeared. I didn't think much about it, and figured that it would reappear on the next vehicle start.

I got back into the car a little later and the OEM navigation screen was a blank black screen, as was the backup camera screen. HVAC, OEM audio, Display and Info continued to work as normal. I unplugged the VLine2, and same thing, I was starting to think maybe the OEM navigation system had finally gone bad. I went and dug up my old VLine1, just to do a sanity check and SOB everything works just fine. Currently working with GROM support to try to unbrick the darn thing.

Update 4/23: VLine2 unbricked with a special file loaded to a USB, and a special hokey pokey dance.

Last edited:
Caution!

I did the latest GROM VLine 2 firmware update on 4/15. Everything looked good, but after reboot, the VLine disappeared. I didn't think much about it, and figured that it would reappear on the next vehicle start.

I got back into the car a little later and the OEM navigation screen was a blank black screen, as was the backup camera screen. HVAC, OEM audio, Display and Info continued to work as normal. I unplugged the VLine2, and same thing, I was starting to think maybe the OEM navigation system had finally gone bad. I went and dug up my old VLine1, just to do a sanity check and SOB everything works just fine. Currently working with GROM support to try to unbrick the darn thing.

Update 4/23: VLine2 unbricked with a special file loaded to a USB, and a special hokey pokey dance.

Has it smoothed out any? Mine (VL2) keeps bugging me about the 8.1 update, plus other firmware stuff I'm sure. But I read this a while back and decided to put it off, decided to update, then put it off again remembering I can just ask someone who has done it already.

Has it smoothed out any? Mine (VL2) keeps bugging me about the 8.1 update, plus other firmware stuff I'm sure. But I read this a while back and decided to put it off, decided to update, then put it off again remembering I can just ask someone who has done it already.

It has smoothed out a bit, but I still think that it was more stable and more responsive running 5.1, than it currently is under 8.1. If I was given the option to "fallback" to 5.1, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

When I briefly reinstalled my VL1, while my VL2 was temporarily "bricked", the VL1 running on 5.1 felt pretty "speedy" compared to the VL2 running 8.1.

It has smoothed out a bit, but I still think that it was more stable and more responsive running 5.1, than it currently is under 8.1. If I was given the option to "fallback" to 5.1, I'd do it in a heartbeat.

When I briefly reinstalled my VL1, while my VL2 was temporarily "bricked", the VL1 running on 5.1 felt pretty "speedy" compared to the VL2 running 8.1.

Oof, thanks for that. I really only ever run CarPlay, but I'd be pretty steamed if I made that worse.

New CarPlay (iOS13 beta) is niiiiice. And running fine on a VL2, still on the 5.1.

Started looking for bluetooth/aux options to keep a factory look and this is the most appealing. Have all the bugs been ironed out in it and its stable?

Started looking for bluetooth/aux options to keep a factory look and this is the most appealing. Have all the bugs been ironed out in it and its stable?

My VL2 with Android 8.1 is mostly stable at this point, although I still think it was still a little more stable with Android 5.1. It plays Spotify and runs Waze every time I get in the car. CarPlay works. Torque works. Every once in a while I will notice a quirk, like starting the vehicle and shifting into reverse too fast, I don't get a reverse camera, but shifting back into "P" and back into "R" and it comes right back up.

Probably my biggest complaint at the moment, is the OEM screen resolution, but it hasn't bothered me enough to seek other options.

I had a VL1 and now have a replacement VL2 running 5.1 (so no update since they required it to happen by thumb drive). The VL2 is still a bit buggy but way more stable than it used to be. When it works, it works great. When it doesn't it's really frustrating. Support is...OK. I think they're a really small company.

I run Carplay on it mostly (unofficial, beta) and it sometimes freezes up when switching to Carplay or drops the connection. A few days ago I started up the car and the VLine prompted me to reboot the system, then it worked fine. Other times I've had a completely blank screen (no Lexus map even). The trouble is that I don't know how some issues are due to the physical connections getting strained. The USB and mic cords stick straight out on one side, display and system connections stick out on the opposite side, and the whole unit is a tight fit in the gutted CD changer in the glove box. I haven't tied it down somehow because for a while I had to take the VL1 out every few days to disconnect and connect the power when it would seize up. I run a pretty long lightning cable with an extension from the glove box around the center console., so maybe that is a problem too. Maybe my OEM unit and the VLINE harnesses are problematic.

I got the VL1 at a beta price, then the VL2 for a few hundred more (they sent a VL2 replacement without tracking info, which maybe got stolen by porch pirates, and then I had to pay up for another unit). If I had paid full price for either unit I'd be really unhappy.

I stuck to 5.1 based on @jLB feedback, and it's been totally stable. Maybe once in the last 5 months it's asked me to reboot, but my working theory is that it does that when it knows there's an update (it checks over wireless) and when I park close enough to my apartment for WiFi. I think if I deleted my WiFi information out of the system, it might stop...but it's so infrequent that I just let it reboot and then continue on with my day.

I've so far ignored the updates. Early on in the 5.1 it was occasionally unstable, but that was (for me) like 10 months ago.

My use case might be a little different than you're hoping, though. I never use Bluetooth, and the only part of the Android system I use is the camera connector (mine's an '03, so no factory backup cam). CarPlay every day for me. Bluetooth control kind of feels like using one of those old cassette tape adapters when it's next to what CarPlay can do. Clunky, ya know?

1571098054439.png

The latest update (V20VL3.1.0.0) has put my VL2 into an endless boot loop. I've temporarily reinstalled my VL1, and opened a ticket with GROM. You may want to exercise some caution before installing this update.

Hi jlb
I'm thinking about VL2 cause my tesla screen doesn't works for me, and i like the OEM look, temp, clock and all A / C controls in my land cruiser 100 2006.
Is going better now?
What about audio power? It's same as original?

Last edited:
Other than the occasional issues when upgrading the firmware "over the air", (which has been quickly resolved with opening a ticket with Grom and doing the "USB hokey pokey dance" to recover it) it has been relatively stable.

Android 8 has become more stable after a double handful of VLine updates from Grom.

I don't notice any real difference in audio power output from the VLine (1 or 2) playing spotify directly on the unit. I vaguely remember something about having to bump the volume on my iPhone in some modes (Bluetooth or CarPlay?)to get to a normal volume, but I don't recall the details at the moment.

My biggest complaint is that OEM screen is low resolution by modern standards, but I'd find it hard to drive around without the VLine (or the equivalent features) at this point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom