Groaning and moaning in steering wheel while turning, low speed?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Right, and as a reminder nobody knows what exactly we're lubing in there, why it's working, or what the result would be with anything other than a spray lubricant.

Right, and as a reminder nobody knows what exactly we're lubing in there, why it's working, or what the result would be with anything other than a spray lubricant.
I saw some good videos on YouTube for different vehicles where the recommendation is to use dielectric grease as it has lot of silicone. I am seeing from your post you are shooting in the blind by putting the spray tube inside rubber boot. If we can find instructions on how to remove or create safe space to push this thick lube there the rod goes into the rubber thing, it will be a permanent fix.
Same thing is mentioned in YouTube comments that a silicone spray or similar has less silicone that issue comes back unless this thick silicone paste is pushed to the joint.
See

My 2015 LC with 111k started doing it this winter. Thanks to this thread I will probably just leave it since it doesn’t seem to be a big deal. Adds character!

As others updated on this thread, I moved the rubber boot using following methods:
1. I sprayed tire shine/protectant so the rubber boot wont crack or snap.
2. Lifted it up with the small rubber tab to the bottom and used plastic tools (to prevent damage) to lift up the boot (the plastic tools are from ipad screen repair kits I have handy)
3. I sprayed silicone spray (turned steering both sides)
4. I then sprayed with lithium grease spray (turned steering both sides)
5. and then sprayed with garage lubricant spray (turned steering both sides)

Will report if sound comes back, definitely steering is very light and smooth after this.

As others updated on this thread, I moved the rubber boot using following methods:
1. I sprayed tire shine/protectant so the rubber boot wont crack or snap.
2. Lifted it up with the small rubber tab to the bottom and used plastic tools (to prevent damage) to lift up the boot (the plastic tools are from ipad screen repair kits I have handy)
3. I sprayed silicone spray (turned steering both sides)
4. I then sprayed with lithium grease spray (turned steering both sides)
5. and then sprayed with garage lubricant spray (turned steering both sides)

Will report if sound comes back, definitely steering is very light and smooth after this.
I used silicone spray he first time and it lasted about 8 months.
I did the garage door spray a few months ago and it lasted about 6 weeks.
Going to try the dielectric grease today and see how that goes.

if you were successful, tell me how you were able to get the dielectric grease into that tight narrow space. If you used a spray or just squirted the grease into the gap.

What about this, used in places where metal meets rubber in other places on the vehicle:

IMG_5270.jpeg

It is around $10 a tube, and my dealer stocks it.

It is specced for caliper rebuilding, amongst other things.

if you were successful, tell me how you were able to get the dielectric grease into that tight narrow space. If you used a spray or just squirted the grease into the gap.
I used a tip from a tube of RTV and attached it to the dielectric tube. I pulled on the rubber tab, and using a couple of panel tools pried the boot about half way off, put the tip in as far as I could and injected a bunch of grease towards the firewall moving it around as I did. Squeaked once as I pulled out of the garage then went dead silent. Only been a week so will see how it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom