Grinding While Starting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello! New here. Have a 99 Cruiser. Probably 50% of the time I start my cruiser the starter grinds right as it fires up. Almost like the bendix isn’t retracting all the way on the starter. It’s not an easy swap to replace starter, just curious if anyone else has had this issue?

I had the exact same issue on a 2uz Tundra.
DD2AFD5A-78C7-4945-B349-F3295AA3CD5F.jpeg

easier to change the starter than to change the ring gear.
use Toyota gaskets and Toyota starter, don't cheap out on this

This issue developed on my son's vehicle. We had the heads off recently and decided to remove the starter motor for a look at the drive pinion and ring gear. To my amazement, the motor was seized in the block and would not budge no matter how much spray/time/ tapping/cussing I gave it in the hope of seeing some movement/separation, but it didn't happen. Well, I did eventually but the motor was beginning to break, leaving the rear part of the pinion bearing housing still seized in the block. I then used a 4mm drill to remove about a quarter on the aluminium housing from 3 to 6 o'clock portion of what was in there and it finally loosened enuff to get it all out. That was a first for me - and I've removed a few starter motors over the last 53 years. The new starter went in with a smear of grease on it.

I should've taken a few pix but i was too frustrated to think of it at the time.

Mine made a nasty noise after startup for years. Finally the starter just wouldn't turn anymore.

The gear on mine was good, the bearing went out. Not sure where the rest of the balls went.

PXL_20220927_125236319.MP.jpg

I believe I'm about to have to do this as well. I get a grinding noise for about a second every other start. From what I read it's the starter beginning to go - not retracting the bendix as you mention. Best to catch it early as you dont want to damage the teeth on your flywheel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom