Green coolant vs. Red coolant (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

my opinion as a professional mechanic who works on many toyotas, its to my knowledge that toyota red/Pink coolant was created by toyota to protect the aluminum, electrical and other internal components. and to extend the periods between coolant flushes

if you have pink or red coolant it is recommended that you stay with it,

Conflicting Info

I keep getting conflicting information, what color coolant orginally came in 93 to 97 FZJ80's?:confused:

I keep getting conflicting information, what color coolant orginally came in 93 to 97 FZJ80's?:confused:

Toyota long life coolant, aka Toyota Red,

My understanding is Toyota did not come out with the "red" coolant until the late 90's. The cars produced before this time came with a green coolant that was quite similar to the Toyota red but it was green in color, most people mistakingly replacd that with green coolant such as Prestone.

The best options for people not wanting to pay for the Toyota stuff is Zerex Asian or Peak Global Lifetime.

I think I've read this thread all the way through some time in past (but not today), but wanted to add an anecdotal data point. I have a 2001 Tacoma DoubleCab that I bought brand new. I added a transmission cooler to it years ago and drained/refilled the radiator at the time. It had the Toyota red coolant in it when I did this, but not knowing any better I simply refilled with Prestone green.

Yep, that's right, I brazenly mixed the Toyota red and Prestone green without even attempting any sort of flush. The world didn't come to an end. I still own the truck and it's fine. I've done basic maintenance on the cooling system since mixing the two with zero evidence of any issue. No sludging, no cooling issues, nothing.

I bet thousands of well-meaning mechanics and do-it-yourselfers mix this stuff all the time with no adverse consequences. Not until I bought an 80 did I ever even hear that this is an issue. Is there any real data out there that mixing these two is actually bad? Because evidently I smacked the hornet's nest and not only did I not get stung, but no hornets even came out. :)

Yeah, there have been tests where people mixed coolant in shallow dishes and waited.

Quite simply, the green stuff uses a silicate additive to prevent corrosion. Red, pink, and purple use an acid additive to prevent corrosion. You mix these together and the acid causes the silicate to fall out of suspension as a fine sand.

(Quotes from old threads with minor tweaks)

-B-
(Quotes from old threads with minor tweaks)

-B-
Excellent article from a very knowledgeable source.

Seems to confirm that green silicate based or Toyota red are the only safe choices.

COOLANT CONFUSION: It's Not Easy Being Green . . . or Yellow or Orange or . . . | Motor | Find Articles at BNET

I choose green because Red is expensive and not always available. Because you CAN NOT mix green and red I choose to go with the more available choice. I have had a blown hose in the middle of nowhere MO. a hundred miles from a Toyota dealer.

Interesting read, but link now bad, here's another: http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=816

If that goes bad, google the article title; The Truth is Out There...

If you don't use the Toyota red, you will bloat up like a toad and your skin with sluff off like a snake! Consider this fair warning!

No one is using the orange Dex cool and it is silcate free and uses acid as a rust inhibitor just like the red stuff. The orange is a lot closer in compound than the green. I am going orange.

Old thread but for new dudes like me, I was caught between the argument: “green is everywhere; easy to get when it’s midnight yaddi yadda”. Or “Toyota red was designed by Toyota for Toyota but it’s so expensive, yaddi yadda”.
I went with Toyota red. Why? Too many options out there and figured why the hell not? And it isn’t that expensive, especially relative to everything else we buy for our cruisers.
I looked at the numerous coolants on the shelves and read so many threads. In the end, it came down to simple logic.

Old thread but for new dudes like me, I was caught between the argument: “green is everywhere; easy to get when it’s midnight yaddi yadda”. Or “Toyota red was designed by Toyota for Toyota but it’s so expensive, yaddi yadda”.
I went with Toyota red. Why? Too many options out there and figured why the hell not? And it isn’t that expensive, especially relative to everything else we buy for our cruisers.
I looked at the numerous coolants on the shelves and read so many threads. In the end, it came down to simple logic.
Old thread indeed, still what popped up in Google when I was trying to find an answer. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Red it is.

Old thread indeed, still what popped up in Google when I was trying to find an answer. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Red it is.
Green

Just to clarify to all for those who wish to remain in the red coolant category:

Super Long Life Coolant - Toyota ( 00272-SLLC2 ) (Also says "pink" on the label) is not the same as Red Toyota Antifreeze Coolant (1 Gallon) - Toyota (00272-1LLAC-01)

The latter, toyota red, is designed for the older toyota models and must be mixed with distilled water (either 50/50, 60/40 or 70/30).

math.gif

Last edited:
Hate to pop this up again 😜 just a quick question.

Mine came with “universal” in it, silicate/etc free, and no phosphates either. I understand the reason for phosphate, but do I *need* to (or “should I”) switch to get the additive? Since it’s been running this stuff without it, if it’s no problem, I won’t bother switching. However, I’m installing a new rad & t-stat soon, so naturally it’s something to think about. It appears to fit 1fz requirements otherwise..

I’ve done one full drain/fill when I did the PHH & a couple other hoses. Existing coolant was super clean with no sign of mixing or sediments or anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom