Grandpa's 1973 FJ 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

New Hinges on the way

I'm stoked I have new hinges coming from MC Offroad Designs. Check out his thread. Take Off Hinges!!!

They are great. Can't wait to get them on the cruiser.

Stay tuned for pics.

Mc designs hinges

So I finally got an hour to work on my hinges.
I am so excited the install was quick and easy
even with the quirks of my cruiser,
but these are awesom and work great!

Step 1, Get you stuff together.
Order the hinges and I painted them
and set everything out.
Toolsandhinges.jpg

I also purchased this stubby wrench
with a ratcheting box end
that was very helpful.
MagicWrench.jpg

So i opened up as much room as possible.
Undid the battery removed the fuse panel
took the guage cluster out did all i could
to get my mits in there.
FusePanel.jpg
Bolts.jpg
easyaccess.jpg

Then the only hard part. Getting the four
bolts out. This was made more difficult as
my cruiser had been in a crash and has some
weird pieces of metal and bolts all over.
Anyway about 30 minutes later I got them all out.
OldHingeOut.jpg
OldDoor.jpg
Old Stuf that wobbled.
Install was a breez. The hinges bolted up real easy.
I did break one bolt taking off the door
hinge piece:doh:, but the other two came out
fine. I haven't tightened everything down yet as
of course I need to adjust the door so i hits the
catch easy and smooth. But this was a cakewalk
and totally worth getting. They slide in and out
super easy and are a great product.
Check out his website! Home
Finished.jpg
CloseFinnish.jpg

I never considered removing the gauge cluster to gain access to the top left hinge. Nice work! Where did you get the stubby wrench?
Just went to sears and got it. It cost 11 dollars. If you get an angle adjust head its 22.

Love the custom plate! I also was planning on getting the Aggie plate, just trying to think of what to put custom on mine! Hope to see you around some time and maybe get some wheelin in!
For sure we might be there this weekend. Thanks on the plate!

You're going to love the hinges, they are stronger, better design, quick and easy to take off or change out your doors, no more messing with the windshield. I have been using a set for a few months now and they have saved me so much time when I switch between my full doors and tube doors. Looking forward to seeing more quality products from MC Offroad Designs. :cheers:

You're going to love the hinges, they are stronger, better design, quick and easy to take off or change out your doors, no more messing with the windshield. I have been using a set for a few months now and they have saved me so much time when I switch between my full doors and tube doors. Looking forward to seeing more quality products from MC Offroad Designs. :cheers:

For sure MC should keep making stuff for us all!
Talking with Matt he said he could make a rear swing out bumper for me. I'm excited to see what else he can do.

For sure MC should keep making stuff for us all!
Talking with Matt he said he could make a rear swing out bumper for me. I'm excited to see what else he can do.

Hey, any sketches or plans on the rear swing out bumper?
I'd be interested! I'm considering learning how to weld, so I can do a few projects, the biggest would be a rear swing out bumper, possibly with cooler carrier and hilift jack mount. The usual...

Gappy here used to make a nice one, that he was selling as a side biz, but no longer. I'll be posting soon to ask for advice on design and welding tips.

Finally GOt Time

So I finally got thirty minutes to work on the Toy and
I put the hinges on the passenger side. This was awesome
because this side wasn't bent up from the roll
over a few years ago.
passengereasyin.jpg

This side went in much easier. and took all of maybe 15 minutes.
Passengerdone.jpg

Slid right in.Almost don't need weather stripping
as it adjusted up so great.
scuffyandundercoated.jpg

Then I got a little crazy and scuffed up the rear quarter
panel to see what it would look like black. I think this
is what I'm gonna do. Black on bottom rhinolined and
then green on top.

Thanks Matt this looks great.

stereo

MicahMan

What type of stereo is that you put in your rig? I like the AUX input port on that. Did you have to cut the dash? Thanks.

Stereo

MicahMan

What type of stereo is that you put in your rig? I like the AUX input port on that. Did you have to cut the dash? Thanks.

It is a cheap Dual Stereo model XR4110. I got it on sale a pep boys for under $40. It has an SD slot, USB slot, aux jack and runs FM and AM. Its a great little stereo that kicks out enough sound to cover up the squeeks.

The purists will hate me, but I did have to cut the dash a little. It went in easy though and I put a switch on it so the truck doesn't have to be on. Great mod!!!

stereo

looks like a great little stereo. good price too. I'm just not sure that i'm ready to go cuttin yet. thanks man.

For Sure

looks like a great little stereo. good price too. I'm just not sure that i'm ready to go cuttin yet. thanks man.

There is another cruiser guy here in Utah that installed a different model that didn't need to be cut to go into the "Stock" Slot. It didn't have the other inputs just am/fm and an aux jack.

stereo

I would be interested in finding out about that. I just need an AUX port to plug in my ipod.

Stereo

I would be interested in finding out about that. I just need an AUX port to plug in my ipod.

stereo.jpg

here is the stereo it is the cheapest Dual Stereo. Scott Hansen from here in Orem put it in his dash and he trimmed the plastic on the face to fit the hole. The guts were just the right size.

I found one for sale at a local AutoZone, Oreilly's, Pep Boys, and Napa each carry the Dual brand. Its just hit or miss on if they have one.
Here it is on Dua'ls website.
XC4100 - AM/FM/Cassette Receiver

Hope this helps. Scott also gave me the idea for the PVC speaker boxes.

Yep, cheap stereo, AM/FM and AUX for my iPhone is all I need. I did not have to cut the dash at all, I only trimmed the sides of the faceplate to get it to fit. Also, here is a picture of the little speaker enclosure I made out of the PVC stuff, but this one is in place in the kick panel. They sound good (enough) and they don't wobble around - perfectly tight fit.

Drain plug cap, a few inches of 4"PVC and drain covers for the grill. I ground off the mounting points on the speaker and just slid it in the tube against a smaller PVC ring (a cut off part of the drain cover) making a sandwich to hold the speaker in place, then applied silicone to the whole thing.
photo.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom