Got my FZJ80...finally! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

alia176

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, I picked her up in Reno yesterday from a nice couple. She's a '96, grey/blueish and in good shape with 97k miles. She has no running boards and roof rack but does have the wood package. No factory lockers. However, the ARB lockers are going in next week. So, I figure this is a good time to replace all bearings in the front and rear diffs. Can someone tell me the bearing p/ns off of the bearings themselves so that I can run a cross check with Timken or other brands? I don't need the Toyota p/ns ;) I need the p/ns for the pinion and carrier bearings.

The next thing I need is a set of shocks. I noticed that the factory shocks are Tokico brand and ride is quite stiff. So the question I have is that using these shocks as reference, how do the "soft" and "medium" OME shocks compare? Has anyone using their remote reservoir shocks for better travel? I'd like to hear some thoughts on this subject.

I'm curious if anyone has installed the replacement long range gas tank vs the second gas tank for the rear. I'd like to hear your thoughts on that as well. I like the idea of having a larger gas tank in the stock location and leave the rear end nice and light. I figure this works out for better weight distribution as well.

Thanks for humoring me. :D

Ash

Congrats on your purchase, Ali! Really cool, really cool.

Are you doing the ARB work yourself, or having a shop do it?

Depending on the year, Koyo or Timken were the OEM bearings. When I did my birfs in my '95, I had Timkens. Replaced them with Timkens I got at AutoZone; they had the correct part numbers in their computer. These were the wheel bearings, however, so I'm not sure if they'd be able to do the same with diff's.

Most people will tell you to go with the firm valved OME shocks. Having said that, I went with the light ones and am quite pleased.

As far as larger gas tanks, I believe Bill (Photoman) has both a larger tank in the stock location and an auxiliary tank. Maybe he will chime in here.

CONGRATS :D :D :D

Price: $14,800 and :flipoff2: back to you buddy.

Thanks for the congrats.

Congratulations! You even got the one with the good transmission. :D
As Shocker mentioned I do have both tanks - the 38 gallon larger main, and a 45 gallon aux. I do I do not particularly like the larger main tank. It sits closer to the rear driveshaft, does not have a skid plate, and the mounting straps can catch mud if your dragging through. It is nice to have the extra 13 gallons and with tank location the weight is more evenly distributed. Things get a little weird with an empty main and a full aux. in the back. The stock fuel pump and gauge are used with the tank but must be modified (stuff lengthened) as the new tank is a little deeper. The installation is rather simple; just a hole or two needs to be drilled in the rear floor for one of the strap mounts. I do not know what current prices are but the shipping was $150.00 from MAF. (truck freight) :eek: I am going to sell mine and put the stock one back in since I have the large aux.; if I ever get around to pulling it out. Hope this helps.
Bill

Hey Photo, not to hijack the thread, but any idea what thickness the cargo floor is in the rear? I need to permanently mount my slider for the kitchen and need to go through the floor. To be candid, haven't looked, and it's been pouring the last few days. Figured you may know. If not, no biggie. Thanks. :D

NOTE: HYJACK CONTINUES>>>>

Junk,

Are you bolting something to the cargo area floor?

Use the third row floor striker mounts. Pull the strikers out and you will have 8 10mm x1.25 threaded mounting holes at the ready ;) .

D-

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4924;start=msg37688#msg37688 date=1062644829]
Are you bolting something to the cargo area floor? [/quote]

Yup. Putting in some drawer sliders. I have almost a full kitchen back there - 62 qt fridge and microwave. Will have a toastie too. Everything gonna be fixed on a lazy susan so when you pull it forwad to the drop gate, it will just spin like ... {edited for content :flipoff2: } :flipoff2:

[quote author=cruiserdan link=board=2;threadid=4924;start=msg37688#msg37688 date=1062644829]Use the third row floor striker mounts. Pull the strikers out and you will have 8 10mm x1.25 threaded mounting holes at the ready ;) .[/quote]
Strikers meaning the bars? The little thingie sized thingies? Thanks.

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=4924;start=msg37730#msg37730 date=1062648740] :flipoff2:Strikers meaning the bars? The little thingie sized thingies? Thanks.
[/quote]

Yup, that be them, you sly devil :flipoff2:

WOW, I'm almost bright enough to be in your family member. Nah - :flipoff2:

Thanks - will lookielookie tomorrow. 8)

Junk,
Basically, the same thickness as the other sheet metal. They corrugated it for strength. I tried to find a circle I cut out for something else to measure and take a pic for you but can't find it. When you do your thing, it probably would be best to try to do your mounting holes so they hit on the tops of the corrugations; that way you won't need spacers. BTW, I ran with a microwave one trip and it was cool, but took up too much space for what it was worth. It was back to Sterno.
Bill

Cool, when are you going to bring it by? When does the S.O. fly in? Also, he will be doing the ARB install, he did every thing to his RR. Oh and :flipoff2: that's for getting one before us.

Locrwln

The wify will arrive on the 12th. As far as ARB, wify says the vehicle can't leave the state w/o lockers installed. Since I'm working about 130 miles from my FZJ, I'm thinking of having Doug at Reno Driveline do the work. Unless you can convince me otherwise. Just don't have the time, tools while vacationing in Reno. Gotta go to the bay area to see friends so I may have to just bite the bullet on this one. It kills me though! Hate having somone else touch my baby..!

U taking me to Sierra Trek following weekend? ::) :D

A.

ps sorry to get a FZJ before you 8). When I see a vehicle that's rust free, I snatch it up!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom