got it back from the alignment shop but....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
ok after my bought with death wobble soa 39.5 iroks checked the entire front over found no play kept playing with toe and checking all nuts and bolts and everything that i did find loose i tightened and the wobble got worse. wellthe guy fromthe shop just called and set caster was set at 1 3/4 degrees on both sides (glad i got them both the same but i was shooting for 4 guess i goofed somewhere) Now this is a reputable shop yet they have only dealt with lifted jeeps and chevys for the most part. And he is telling me that caster is good yet i still believe as i have read on here i need around 4. I also have the extended anti inversion shackles on the front and he is saying if i was to get rid of them i would have no problems and they have been on way before the dw started. The long and short is do i put shims in it to get me through to see if that is the problem and do i just ignore the shackles. Let me know what all you cruizer gurus say i just want to be able to drive on the road again

thanks
Bryon

shackle length will not effect a wobbly ride, it will only effect steering play and lift, if you are looking for fixing a wobble problem try balancing those big effing tires or getting smaller ones

...and check trunion bearing preload.

if i go with smaller tires it looks goofy. And shackle length also efffects the caster. oh yeah and tires are now balanced so we shall see how she rides. truunion bearing preload was done per the tech manual. I heard it could be a collapsed bearing but everything is still tight, unless the only way you can find a collapsed bearing is by tearing it all apart

"collapsed bearing" ?

that's a new one. How does a tapered roller bearing 'collapse'?

ok, so get proper caster shims? and how big is this thing that it will look goofy with smaller tires? like 35's?

having only 1.75d of will not cause wobble that wouldn't be there if you had 4... there is something loose in the front end or your tires are out of balance... keep searching.

Do you have a damper and good shocks? what method of balancing on the Iroks?

i wondered the same about the bearing collapse thing, however there are still things i havent seen that i just have to believe are there (i.e. bigfoot and the boogeyman). As for why i need the big tires Iwas running 35s when i was spring under and i love to play in the mud. the tire balancing i first tried with the dynabeads but since the truck was at the only shop around that can balance these tires i said go ahead. and we will find out how they are tomorrow. if the caster thing is not a big deal why is it expressed so much to turn them to 4 degrees or so.

thanks

Bryon
cruiser.jpg

having an incorrect caster creates undue wear on steering components (Knuckle Bearings, Tie Rod Ends, Steering Box). You may also notice your vehicle wander or follow grooves in the road, but it wont cause serious wobble that would be in bearings differentials or tire balance.

ps. THAT THING IS A MONSTER! that would look goofy with smaller tires

thats what i thought but when i first got these tires put probably 200 or so miles on them and the truck drove great then all of a sudden it went to sh*t. I'm hoping tires and ill find out tomorrow just curious as to the 1.75 degree to the 4 degree caster if its worth worrying about

thanks

Bryon

how big are the shackles you are running? this happened to me when i had unbalanced tires, once i put some new balanced tires on it drove like a cadillac :D

dont remember but they are the extended length anti inversion style from man-it-aint-free i think 2" extended. tire balance is what i hear is the majority of it its just at 25-30 bucks a tire im only getting the fronts done since i have rotated front to back with no difference we shall see for now

thanks

Bryon

having an incorrect caster creates undue wear on steering components (Knuckle Bearings, Tie Rod Ends, Steering Box)....

that is about the most absurd thing I have read here in at least a few days.

Too much caster (~+<6* causes more wear to the outside of the tread but that's about it. Sure steers nice though.

You have 1.75 degrees of negative or positive caster? I think spec is negative 1 degree, three to five degrees negative seems to be where they are most stable. And yes, to much caster (not negative enough if you want to say it that way) will cause a wobble that will make you poop yourself. I learned all about caster and Land Cruisers the hard way, so I can say this from experience. Try a two degree shim, put the fat end forward if you're spring over which you must be, or fat end in the back if you're still spring under. This will subtract two degrees. I have also found that a good steering stabilizer in the CORRECT place, that is between the tie rod and the axle housing, makes a world of difference. Your stocker is most likely trash by now and it was in the wrong place to begin with.

...three to five degrees negative seems to be where they are most stable....

-3 to -5*?!?!

This thread is so full of misinformation it ain't funny.

+1* is stock. +3-5* is good.

Last edited:
how is that absurd? If you do not correct caster angle with shims from added shackle length it will put extra pressure on the steering components especially with larger tires. I had to replace a broken tie rod end from this exact problem deegangle :p

I went through all this a while back.... after a knuckle rebuild and list goes on and on....... I still had THE WOBBLE!! It ended up being my steering stabilizer shock. Sounds silly but may want to look at it as an option too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom