got a question for D'Animal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi , I have a Stihl 076AV saw and I want to adjust the high speed jet. How do you do this safely ? Do you clamp the saw down somehow ? And I'm assuming that I need to leave the bar and chain on while I do this ? The reason I need to adjust the carb is because I took it apart + cleaned it. The saw starts and runs good now, but doesn't have full power on full throttle, I can tell it is running to rich. I set the high speed at 1 1/4 turn out but I think it might be a bit rich. The gas + air filters are new , the carb + muffler gaskets are new, new plug and the gas is fresh with optima 1 oil in the gas. I've always had very good results with optima 1 in all my 2 stroke equipment. Maybe I should run stihl oil mix in this saw ? Thanks you for your time , Scott

Adjust, run it wide open for a couple seconds, adjust, run it wide open for a couple seconds, repeat until you get the sound you want.

It is an old 2-cycle design and does not turn near as fast as the saws built from 1985 and up. Get a tachometer in order to do it correctly.

The upper RPM will depend on the bar length you are running and the elevation you are at. If you are running a 59" guide bar at 10,00' elevation, you will not get the RPM out of it you think you want.

The procedure is to adjust the high speed screw in at a 1/16" revolution at a time. Rev the saw up, make a cut if you can and let it come down to idle. Keep doing it until it performs as it should.

I will do some digging in my old boocks to find the exact RPM it should be running with the recommended bar length.

thanks Dan, I'm running a 32" bar (404) at about 500 ft. above sea level. I realize it is an old saw, out dated and heavier than h--l. By the way, I've got another question- I've read where you say to run the saw out of fuel when you are going to not use it for a long time (not sure how long you mean), but it says in the details on the site listed by '74 UA FJ above to never run the saw out of fuel because it may run too lean as the tank goes dry. Can you explain this ? Thanks

thanks Dan, I'm running a 32" bar (404) at about 500 ft. above sea level. I realize it is an old saw, out dated and heavier than h--l. By the way, I've got another question- I've read where you say to run the saw out of fuel when you are going to not use it for a long time (not sure how long you mean), but it says in the details on the site listed by '74 UA FJ above to never run the saw out of fuel because it may run too lean as the tank goes dry. Can you explain this ? Thanks
in the above mentioned site it describes condition which result in a lean running engine one of which is when the fuel tank runs completely dry. It says "always stop a saw before the tank runs completely dry"

When you are cutting and get on the end of the tank, you can hear it rev up much higher. I always let off the throttle and shut it down that this point...

For the 076, the recommended Maximum RPM 10,000 with a 24" bar and chain. You should be able to get close to that with a 32" and 500' in elevation.

The 076 has a dump valve governor valve in the side of the carburetor.When the RPM is exceeded, the governor opens up and dumps fuel into the bore of the carburetor.

With the fuel we have in California I run my saws out of fuel when I'm storing them for the season. I run them until they like they are running out of fuel and then let them idle until they die. I Do Not run them wide open throttle until they die. You can run them lean if you do.

Okay, that clears it up for me . Thank you both for the replies, I do appreciate it

Good Day, It seems that D'Animal is the person i have been looking for, Was reading other posts and your post on Stihl saws are great, I am a semi pro chainsaw carver from Canada and have 3 or 4 MS 170 saws or 017 depending on when I got them with the Bar oiler plugged or the pump is not working, your pics on the 028 were great, do you have pics of the 017 repair? Thanks

The 017 oil pump system is very similar to the 021, 023 and 025.

Good Day, It seems that D'Animal is the person i have been looking for, Was reading other posts and your post on Stihl saws are great, I am a semi pro chainsaw carver from Canada and have 3 or 4 MS 170 saws or 017 depending on when I got them with the Bar oiler plugged or the pump is not working, your pics on the 028 were great, do you have pics of the 017 repair? Thanks

I'm pretty sure I have a thread on the oil pump system on those saws.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom