Got a FJ40 & joined the forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I just read a couple hundred FAQs and my brain is numb! Good stuff! I bought a 1978 FJ40 from a guy I used to work for about 2 weeks ago, and I've spent the last weekends goin through it. It had a big hunting rack on the back which was a pain to get off. And, yeah, it's pretty tough to put the hard top on by yourself without a lift or anything. It ran 3 years ago when it was parked in a barn, and spent 7 years b4 that on a lease in Refugio, TX. I'll attach some photos. Anyway, I've looked through a ton of pictures trying to figure out how the stock leaf springs were mounted. I don't think mine are stock. There isn't a spring shackle at the front of any of the leafs; they have the pin straight through the body mount. And the shackles on the rear springs look a lot like the HFS "barbell" shackles that CCOT sells (they look like an H). Also the rubber bumper above the front axle is a few inches in front of the axle. Sounds like it's been messed with in the last 33 years, huh? What do ya'll think? Anyway thanks for being here. I can't wait to get her goin!!
04-03-11_1136.jpg
04-03-11_1817.jpg
04-03-11_1818.jpg

I love the fly bridge on that thing.... put in a steering remote and some throttles and some down riggers and your ready go fishing for marlin.

that aside, I think the my local Barny Fife would pull me over just for spite - if I were to drive it through town with the "fun seats" on there. BUT I LOVE it!

Wow, I love that hunting stand.

As for your shackles, it sounds like a shackle reversal was done at some point in it's past. I just finished doing the same on my 68.

The hunting stand is going to sit in my yard and rust unless someone wants it... make me an offer :) I had to cut it out of my roll bars and I also cut it off of the 4" pipe bumper, cause I like it and want to keep it. There is a "dog box" that carries 2 dogs. It even has a water tank to carry some water for the dogs. The PO was into quail hunting and the whole thing was fabbed by a local welding shop here in H-ville. So, shackle reversal? I take it originally the shackles were on the Front of the front leaf springs, but not on the rear? And they get switched to help with... ride height, quality. etc?

So, shackle reversal? I take it originally the shackles were on the Front of the front leaf springs, but not on the rear? And they get switched to help with... ride height, quality. etc?

You are correct, on the front leafs the shackles were on the front of the springs from the factory. The reversal moves them to the back. Your last question will likely get your thread "jacked" as people jump in on the merits, or lack of merits, of the reversal.

I have no doubt that I will have people disagree with my next statement, but I believe that cruisers handle just a bit better with it done. This is purely my opinion after having driven both. I recently did mine simply because it was part of a 4" lift and everything was coming apart anyway.

Wait , Didn't I see that seat on THE BEVERLY HILL BILLIES ???:hillbilly: Just Kidding

All right, that makes sense, thanks! I plan on getting a battery this weekend, cleaning out the gas tank, and trying to fire her up! Since it has been strictly a hunting vehicle for the last 10-15 years, there is a lot of "just make it work" type of repairs. I'm not gonna do anything fancy or as nice as so many of ya'lls rides cause I don't want to be afraid of getting it dirty and scratched. It's still gonna go hunting, I just want to be able to drive there and not have to haul it.

Welcome! Official salute...

:flipoff2:

Before you remove the hunting stand, I think it's more important to remove that Aggie sticker first. :)

Welcome to MUD!

Yep love the Air traffic control tower lol! You are correct about the top. I put mine on by myself with no hoist or nothing, just brawn, muscle and determined to get it on. Only damage was to me haa haa!

G-monkey, You gotta love it brother... No Hard feelings. Welcome To Mud:flipoff2: The people here are the best and will give you all the help you could need. Believe me, I know. :cheers:

You'll wish you had that top off in less than a month...especially where you are!

So it is just me, or does it have dual exhaust?

You'll wish you had that top off in less than a month...especially where you are!

So it is just me, or does it have dual exhaust?

Not just you:D

6 or V8?

It's the original 2f I6. It has some long headers that dump down to 2 mufflers and then out duals... pretty sweet! I'm absolutely determined to hear it run this weekend. I'm gonna pour some marvel mystery oil in through the plug holes tonight and let it soak, then take the tank out in the morning for some cleaning. A few cans of carb cleaner, a new battery, and a few beers and that ought to do the trick! Wish me luck!

Hey, thanks for all the welcomes! Ya'll dont ever gotta worry about hurtin my feelins or nothin like that. I'm easy going and have a thick skin. I'm not gonna get bent outta shape if my thread is hijacked or anything like that... I'll probably learn somethin else I didnt know. I hope I can give back half of what I have already learned on here. I'm pretty handy with wrenches and figurin stuff. Last night I was devising a plan to rob the power steering off a 1982 Datsun 4x4... it might work! and that old truck has about 80% of the metal rotted out, so it can be free parts now. :)

Nice start keep the pics comin

Welcome to the addiction. It looks like you got yourself a nig rig to start with! If you have a pool you can fab those seats to be a lifegaurd station...

Keep the pictures coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom