Got a FJ40 & joined the forum (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I learn something new about my 40 every day. Went out to the POs house this weekend to pickup a bunch of parts he had found. There were the original door stops, and pads for the rollbars, and a set of 4 overload springs etc. But he also had the original front spring hangers. I lined those up with the factory holes on the front of the frame and learned that the center of the front leaf spring eye is set back about 1 1/2" from where it should be. That's probably why the axle bumpers don't line up with the axle and the front diff is pushing the engine and trans off of their mounts!! This is NO BUENO! Definately not road or trail worthy. Also the "shackle reversal" that was done was quite literally a shackle reversal using the original spring mounts from the rear on the front... ALSO NO BUENO! I've seen a MAF SR kit and it is about 3 inches below the frame to provide the correct angle on the springs. Well, long story short I'm going to do a shackle reversal reversal! And for anyone considering doing a SR I think it creates more problems than it solves IMHO. If the springs are mounted correctly AND you get a front driveshaft with longer slip you are on the right path, but I just wish mine had never been messed with!

Shackle Reversal Reversal Underway

Got to work on undoing the botched shackle reversal this weekend. The PO who did the work only replaced 7 of the 12 front bushings. And the homemade shackle hangers he put on the rear were welded to the hilt! Took a lot of time with the sawzall to get them off. Glad he left me the original shackle hangers. I cleaned them up and painted them. So work is on hold now waiting for new bushings, greasable spring pins, and greasable shackle bolts that I ordered yesterday. If you buy a 40 that has had a shackle reversal pay really close attention to how it was done or you will be in the same boat. The rear passenger side motor mount is GONE and the mount is just sitting metal to metal on the frame pad, barely holding on. Here are some pics. I don't have one of the motor mount yet, I'll have to get it later.
05-06-11_1856.jpg
05-06-11_1911.jpg
05-08-11_0910.jpg

Parts all showed up this week so can't wait to get out of work and get started! There may be a small issue with the 5/8" greasable shackle bolts fitting through the CCOT "Super Poly Aussie" bushings I got. It's tight! Do ya'll think it's bad if the shackle bolts are too tight in the bushing? This is my first time replacing bushings and shackle bolts.

Looking good. These trucks are a blast to work on and relatively easy to boot. Some things can be a PITA like for me working under the dash. I am not that big 6'-2" 220 lbs but getting between the seats and dash OMG! ha ha. I have aftermarket bucket seats in my rig. It depends on how tight you are talking about on the bushings. Do you have to beat the snot out of them or just really hard to push? I would not consider drilling them out because they will get worn quicker with time. Once you get them in there and greased up they should wear normally. Just my .02 worth. Good luck and enjoy that puppy!
Rob

Yeah, just test fitting them last night at the kitchen table w/out grease and I had to force them by hand... no hammering or anything. I was worried because the new greasable spring pins for the rear slip right on with no force required. I had to double check my order this morning and make sure I didn't get the 18mm ones by mistake. Yeah I hear ya about them being a blast to work on. Got mine 04/02/11 and just can't stop tinkering and learning about it. This is the begining of a lot of work, so I'm gonna use this thread to update any progress I make on it. Thanks for the replies!

Nice rig man, welcome to the addiction. Say goodbye to all of your disposable income. :flipoff2:

+1 on the bushings. Sounds like they're fine. They will wear down to where they need to be in no time. If you havent changed the oil and filter yet, do it soon, and don't be surprised if you start burning oil. If the engine was seized, you may have some problems develop with miles put on.

Oh...and electrical. Well, I'm sure we'll see some more posts from you. :D

Thanks Rockets2000! You're not too far from me, once I get this rig road worthy and a little prettier I'll have to show it off. Yeah oil and filter done, new distributor cap, rotor, coil, plugs, and wires. Got the shackles put back where they were originally this weekend... WOW I have front suspension now!! And no more death wobble either! I'll post some pictures as long as no one makes fun of the welds. All I had was a little 110v Mig welder that I had never used before. My cousin is a welder by trade and he is going to redo it with some 7018 rods. Also installed a spedo cable and got the horns working. One little thing at a time.
05-14-11_1721.jpg
05-14-11_1722.jpg
05-14-11_1720.jpg

3 more pictures, one of the muchly improved stance after I swapped the shackles, one of the bump stop directly above the axle, and then one gratuitous shot of me driving through the woods where no trail goes.
05-14-11_1719.jpg
05-14-11_1723.jpg
05-15-11_1629.jpg

Yeah, those are some ugly welds alright....:flipoff2:

Sounds like you've got the right attitude - one thing at a time. Once you get it going, I'll have to come up and do some wheeling. Pretty doesn't matter as long as it doesn't leave you stranded.

Keep up the good work!

5 years later... man time flies! But I have a new job and more income, so back to my FJ40! Last weekend busted knuckles and removed my engine. Learned that 12x1.75x100 was too long for my engine stand. And my driveway isn't level!

Awesome thread revival! Congratulations on the new, higher paying job. Your 40 will bring you down to poverty level in no time (ask me how I know). Need updated pictures. Welcome back :flipoff2:

Here is one pic (hopefully) of the result of hours of labor. So as you can see, you CAN pull the engine by yourself with a cherry picker, and you CAN just put a piece of plywood on the ground... HOWEVER... I would recommend plywood thicker than 7/16, it will go through that. Also if your driveway leans a little to the left, then the lift will lean A LOT to the left! Another pic is the original m10x1.25x65 (I think) weld screw for the radiator bracket... has anyone found a source for those? Closest I have gotten is m10x1.5x65 carriage bolt.
Engine.jpg
WeldScrew.jpg

'78 was the best year.............I'm biased b/c I have one too. I am not going to pick on you for the Beverly Hillbillies Bench seat. You are doing a GREAT job. Pulling that engine alone..........................you the man!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine had all kinds of Hillbilly stuff on it I had to fix so I feel ya:rolleyes:.................welcome to the madness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That bolt looks close to a plow share bolt, or an elevator bolt. But, I don't know if they are available in metric.

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom