Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thank you. I won't lie, it has been stressful getting phase 1 of this build done so quickly. Trying to get everything coordinated and keep the ducks in a row has been a lot of work. I am looking forward to getting out in the dirt. Heading to Rocky Mountain Overland Rally in Colorado on Saturday.

It will be well worth it.

Finally got the electrical done. JBM Motoring left a lot of things undone. Had to button it up myself. They got everything working - which is the most important thing. I had to relocate the valve for the air compressor so it would fit in the opening of the panel and be accessible. Not the greatest job, but I was limited by what others have done and, of course time. I leave tomorrow.
58588027752__11468747-043B-4EEE-8B2A-F09FD958F3BA.JPG
58588033444__53EC8217-478A-4D4C-9BCD-FFDC17EFDD8B.JPG

Nice work!
Was yours a non factory roof rack truck or did the po remove it? I'm curious what it cost for the line-x on the fender flares? (feel free to PM me if you don't want to start throwing costs of things around in your build thread)
Get some more rally pics posted!

Nice work!
Was yours a non factory roof rack truck or did the po remove it? I'm curious what it cost for the line-x on the fender flares? (feel free to PM me if you don't want to start throwing costs of things around in your build thread)
Get some more rally pics posted!

I believe this was a non factory truck. It is pretty basic. I have the cloth, manual seats, with no lockers. I got it from the original owner. It was a mall crawler. As for the Line-X - it cost around $75 a flare. I don't mind discussing costs - because others may want to do the same thing. If I can help, I will.

BTW: Thanks for the compliment.

The first trip for the 80 didn't go without a hitch, however. I boiled over the power steering fluid wheeling it in Colorado. In the process the catastrophic failure valve in the power steering pump failed. A call to @NLXTACY and we were able to come up with a field solution. Now I need to get a new power steering pump. Going up Chiraco Hill outside of Indio I discovered that I need to replace my charcoal canister. I ordered an OEM one from Toyota Parts eStore, but looking at the forums it seems that this hasn't been available for at least six years. Probably want to take my money for a few days, collect some interest and them inform me that it isn't available. I will likely go with the AutoZone VC120 that everyone else on the forum seems to use.

Last edited:
I have the autozone one, and it does work, but I hate the fitment. To me, it seems even bigger than highlighted in the first few threads regarding that specific part. I may try the OEM "refresh" method that I think @LandCruiserPhil has in a post. There's a local shop out here that seems to have some used canisters. There is/was a early Tacoma or 4runner canister that looked very similar. I haven't done any research in that direction, but it must also be NLA or there would be threads about it I'm sure.
Bummer about the mechanical issues, glad to hear there were field fixes though.

A little something to make airing up and down a little easier. On this last trip to Colorado I only had a valve without a gauge. I had to keep borrowing other people's gauges to get my tire pressure. This slowed the process for the whole group. This was the first thing I bought when I got back. I got the digital one with a six foot cable so I don't have to squat the entire time airing up or down. My cranky knees don't like that. For those that don't know the Powertank comes with the European clip-on valve- don't have to hold it in place. I can now sit on either the tail gate or one of the front seats during the process. My knees already feel better. :)

fullsizeoutput_5de.jpeg

I have the autozone one, and it does work, but I hate the fitment. To me, it seems even bigger than highlighted in the first few threads regarding that specific part. I may try the OEM "refresh" method that I think @LandCruiserPhil has in a post. There's a local shop out here that seems to have some used canisters. There is/was a early Tacoma or 4runner canister that looked very similar. I haven't done any research in that direction, but it must also be NLA or there would be threads about it I'm sure.
Bummer about the mechanical issues, glad to hear there were field fixes though.

How did you hook it up? The VC120 has two hookups at the top, but none on the bottom?

The next thing I did was replace the name badge on the rear hatch. Someone must have tried to steal it and snapped it in half in the process of trying to take it. :(

View attachment 1988580

View attachment 1988581

View attachment 1988583
i took my truck to a car wash shop and the guy drying the hatch tried to open the lid to do the windows, off it went...I saw him throw it into the gutter hoping I wouldn't catch him...they bought me a new one after I walked over with the manager and reached into the gutter and pulled it out...

i took my truck to a car wash shop and the guy drying the hatch tried to open the lid to do the windows, off it went...I saw him throw it into the gutter hoping I wouldn't catch him...they bought me a new one after I walked over with the manager and reached into the gutter and pulled it out...
Good they replaced it.

When I got the 80 it came with a broken lever to incline the driver side seat back and forth. The cover is also missing After searching I finally found a site in Japan that had them. Didn't have it in the oak color, so took grey instead. Better than nothing right? Anyway after a month I slid off the seat to get off and promptly broke the new lever I worked so hard to get. I glued it with JB Weld plastic glue and put it back in place. I promptly broke it again. Re-glued with the JB weld and had the same thing happen again. 😢

I had some scrap plate steel left over from fixing my lawn mower and decided to fab a bracket.

IMG_2263.JPG

IMG_2261.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom