Builds Goose Gear 80 Series Build (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it been awhile since I posted. Like everyone I have been busy. On my trip back from St. Louis my ultra gauge through p330 code and I needed to replace the rear knock sensor. Before I could get to it I sprained my LCL ligament in my right knee. Consequently, I couldn’t work on the 80. After three months of physical therapy my knee was good to go and get the sensor replaced.

Learning to do a little wrenching was one of the reasons I bought the 80. The only hard part for me with this project was actually finding the rear knock sensor. The FSM diagram is of no use. In the summer when I went on YouTube there was only videos for the front. When I checked it again over Thanksgiving week I finally found one. It came off with little trouble.
Reading up on this project, they didn’t lie that you need extenders on your ratchet todo this. I had both wobble bit and an extender set from Tekton. It included a 24”, 18”, 12”, and a 9”. I ended up using the 24” and 18” on the project to clear the wheel well to properly torque it.

It was an enjoyable project for me because the money saved from having a mechanic do it more than paid for the tools I bought. That’s a win win to me.

Unfortunately, I didn’t take any pictures of this.
Great job. 👍

Great job. 👍
Thanks. I appreciate it. There are so many on here that can rebuild an 80 in there sleep. They are truly talented and I have the utmost of appreciation for them. I want to document from the perspective of one who knows very little but is willing to try.

Decided this was the weekend to get the Yotateq gulwing window installed. I got these about a year ago. I only wanted the driver's side so I sold the passenger side. The installation was pretty straight forward. Removal of the window was pretty easy. I had watched @OTRAMM's video on it and was expecting a bit of more fight. In his video he admitted it was cold and the rubber molding was difficult to work with. It was a warm day here in So Cal and additionally I put my dog's stand dryer on the molding to get it warm and soft. I have arthritis in my hands so I don't have much hand strength anymore to fight these things. This made the job easy.

tempImage719IZ4.jpg

The only hiccup came when I went to get the mending plate to seal the aluminum window frame around the Yota Teq. It was missing! Apparently I shipped that off with the other one that I sold last year. I got onto the Lowes and HD sites, but they did not have any mending plates that were narrow enough to fit the frame. I had some spare plate steel on hand so I fabricated the bracket. It sure is nice to have the necessary tools on hand to handle these things.

tempImageWu8H4n.jpg

Last edited:
The part I was most worried about was getting the rubber gasket around the window frame again. Otramm had stated in his video that is was a pain. I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to do it with my arthritis. However, I was able to get it done. It took me about 90 minutes to finish. I didn't rush and just took my time.

tempImageHCWXpl.jpg

Last edited:
The only problem that I noticed at the end was there is a gap between the seal and the window frame. :hmm: I don't know what, if anything went wrong. I know I put the gasket on correct. I don't know if I merely need to persuade the window over a little to close the gap or remove it completely and re-install. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not too worried because any water will stay on the outside of the pinch weld and shed out the bottom of the window frame. Also it rains so little here in So Cal that it is not a big issue. Of course, it is raining today so I moved the 80 into my garage.

tempImagewZMdMP.jpg

Last edited:
The only hiccup came when I went to get the mending plate to seal the aluminum window frame around the Yota Teq. It was missing! Apparently I shipped that off with the other one that I sold last year. I got onto the Lowes and HD sites, but they did not have any mending plates that were narrow enough to fit the frame. I had some spare plate steel on hand so I fabricated the bracket. It sure is nice to have the necessary tools on hand to handle these things.

View attachment 3190732
I would be the recipient of the passenger side you sold and can confirm that there was only one mending plate in my box. Absolutely love the hatch. Thanks for only needing one side!

I put that new OEM weather stripping to use. Replaced the glass (original Toyota 😥) Everyone said that Fuyao was the best in a separate post so that is what I ended up putting in. I told anyone on the post if they were hoarding any Toyota glass they were welcome to DM me. Quite surprised that no one replied. 🤣
IMG_2366.jpeg

IMG_2367.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom