Good Source for Steel Wheels? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone ordered OEM wheels recently? I am looking for a good source who can package them well for shipping so they can arrive without damage.

I ordered a set recently and they arrived pretty beat up mostly due to being re-packaged after they were acquired from the (presumably) local Toyota dealer. I can only imagine they were shipped on a pallet to the dealer and that required the seller to get creative to package it up for delivery via FEDEX/UPS.

I may try a local dealer but I don't always find a parts guy who will deal on price.

Appreciate any advice.

Another more experienced Toyota parts guy may be able to speak with more authority than me on this. But every time we get a wheel in (I am a Toyota tech) from parts, it is in a box, and little to no damage on the box whatsoever. But these are newer model wheels. Are you talking about 80 series steelies, or newer tundra/FJ steelies? They may be more beat up just due to the fact that the steel wheels are more like NOS than new production parts.

Another more experienced Toyota parts guy may be able to speak with more authority than me on this. But every time we get a wheel in (I am a Toyota tech) from parts, it is in a box, and little to no damage on the box whatsoever. But these are newer model wheels. Are you talking about 80 series steelies, or newer tundra/FJ steelies? They may be more beat up just due to the fact that the steel wheels are more like NOS than new production parts.

42601-60361 are being manufactured to this day. They are definitely not NOS or discontinued or anything like there. There is most definitely at least a set of 5 at NAPCC.

They also do not come in boxes.

They come with a protective cover on top, but that’s it unfortunately. So, for shipping you really need a 17x17x9 box since the rim is 16x8.

I generally recommend just picking these up at a local dealer since the rims weigh 35lbs each. The cost to ship each rim would negate any cost savings you’d get from an online discount OEM retailer (usually 30-33% off MSRP).

BC0F7C25-1673-4218-9695-7370FEFDE42C.jpeg
4A06A53A-02E3-4913-8428-AE50C9180997.jpeg
CA85A071-A506-49E0-975C-F787CE6027C5.jpeg

Are you talking about 80 series steelies, or newer tundra/FJ steelies?

80 series steelies. I'm not sure why these older wheels would come like this from Toyota.

42601-60361 are being manufactured to this day. They are definitely not NOS or discontinued or anything like there. There is most definitely at least a set of 5 at NAPCC.

Thanks @Onur . Do you know if 42601-60362 is a correct/proper replacement part? The ones I returned had that part number sticker and that's what I see online when I search for 60361. Same protective top.

I will take your advice and just go to the dealer. I am seeing $25/wheel shipping costs but might not be worth the hassle. My dealer will give me 15% off with the Costco auto parts discount coupon.

IMG_8638.jpg

Last edited:
Quick update on the steel wheels. My local dealer ordered some steel wheels and all four arrived scratched up due to the way they are packaged from the warehouse to the dealer. This lines up with what a 2nd online dealer told me about poor packaging from the warehouse. I didn't take a lot of pictures but most of them had scratches well beyond the edge and some dents.

They say that the steel wheels are not shipped in a fully encased box with protection around the edges like the alloy wheels. Some came with only a thin box and others just had a thin cardboard cover on each side. My dealer said he would have to get another set from Japan and it could be 4-6 weeks. He was not sure he would be able to actually fix the shipping issue and he might get stuck with a set of wheels he can't sell.

It's clearly not impossible to get these without damage because @Onur has undamaged steel wheel pictures in this thread. Although at this point I don't know that going to a different local dealer is going to help since this is the 2nd set of wheel that were damaged.

IMG_9124.jpg

As much as I love steel wheels, I eventually ditched them because they have such inconsistent runout. More often than not they don’t run true and no matter how skilled the Hunter Roadforce balancer is, the poor qc ultimately leads to vibration felt at speed.

I hope you eventually get yourself a good set and have better luck with OEM steelies.

Interesting. A change in the final digit of a 10 digit Toyota part number indicates a major engineering change. I wonder what actually changed? I haven’t ordered a set of these in about a year and a half. Thanks for the Intel. I might just order a sad to see what is different versus the 603 61

Interesting. A change in the final digit of a 10 digit Toyota part number indicates a major engineering change. I wonder what actually changed? I haven’t ordered a set of these in about a year and a half. Thanks for the Intel. I might just order a sad to see what is different versus the 603 61

I have detailed pics of 62 I can upload here from my original online order. Will do that in a bit. How do you get them to show up without being damaged? Yours looked great.

Most of my pictures were close up of damage so these might not be useful enough to figure out if the wheel changed.

IMG_9123.jpg
IMG_8706.jpg

Another dealer in town said they got burned by Toyota because they pushed back on multiple returns due to damage. They would not take an order from me. I might have to give up on steelies it seems.

Makes me wonder if they have addressed the issue I've had with several of my 60361s?

After a number of years in use, the welds on these turned up porous to the extent they would leak off enough air after a few days to require significant inflation. I treated them with Loctite 290. I wasn't able to resolve the issue on two of them, which I now run on our M101 CDN trailer. The KM2s on it are stiff enough they don't really need air, but as long as I have it out I make it a habit of checking them daily and that's good enough. There's a thread somewhere here about this...

OEM Steel Wheel 42601-60361 Corrosion Issues: Anyone Have This? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/oem-steel-wheel-42601-60361-corrosion-issues-anyone-have-this.1163151/

Any news on the difference between the 61 and 62? About to order a set of these at my local dealer, hoping to have better luck and curious about what actually changed between part numbers.

Any update on this?
Looking at getting a new set of rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom