good project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

inkpot

SILVER Star
Threads
Howdy! Got this from a friend. Anyone interested?

"
I am helping a client sell a 1996 4Runner 4x4 SR5 Automatic Trans. One owner, factory e-locker, 3.4L 240k miles. Brand new Michelin Tires and Interstate battery. Body perfect, paint really good..... interior very good. Never been offroad. White ext...tan interior. Only problem is blown head gas ket.... white smoke...estimate for repair is around $2k, possibly more.

What do you think its worth? If anyone would know its you :)

Seems like they are going for around 4-5k on craigslist in this shape. I think he wants to start asking 2k for it.

Thanks for your help. "

I can get contact info if anyone is interested. John

I sold an exact 1996 4runner a couple years before my 80. It was a 1996 4wd elocker white with tan interior with 160k on it, great truck.
I can buy the vehicle you describe without the problems mentioned for $4-5k. If I were to buy one as described by you I would not pay more than about a grand. To me the vehicle is not worth the in good shape resale price less a repair estimate. I would expect an additional discount for the effort and hassle to get it repaired and the " possibly more" things that could be wrong.

I am interested but not as a project. How much to have this fixed at the spa? What color?

Have not seen vehicle, do not know 3rd party owner. I got the email from my insurance agent. Colors are listed in original post: "White ext...tan interior." No idea of repair cost. I have only done a valve cover gasket job on a 3.4 engine.

I sold an exact 1996 4runner a couple years before my 80. It was a 1996 4wd elocker white with tan interior with 160k on it, great truck.
I can buy the vehicle you describe without the problems mentioned for $4-5k. If I were to buy one as described by you I would not pay more than about a grand. To me the vehicle is not worth the in good shape resale price less a repair estimate. I would expect an additional discount for the effort and hassle to get it repaired and the " possibly more" things that could be wrong.

That is pretty much what the original email listed. "Seems like they are going for around 4-5k on craigslist in this shape. I think he wants to start asking 2k for it."

Have not seen vehicle, do not know 3rd party owner. I got the email from my insurance agent. Colors are listed in original post: "White ext...tan interior." No idea of repair cost. I have only done a valve cover gasket job on a 3.4 engine.

Please let me know if you end up seeing the truck and have repair cost info. I am still interested.

Sums it up pretty well...risk is too high when buying something with this kind of mileage not running even if its white.

Id be all over it if it had 140K vs 240K miles

gonna V8 that sucker?

If its nice I would just do a reman 3.4 and drive it. It would need to be spotless to be worth over $1000 with a junk engine.

Owned six Toyotas this day
IMG_20140611_174326.jpg

Last edited:
Sums it up pretty well...risk is too high when buying something with this kind of mileage not running even if its white.

I don't know, I paid $2k for a non running white taco. Put a motor in it and it's been going strong for 5 years. A 4Runner is a hell of a lot nicer truck. Prolly not worth it if you take it to a mechanic but for someone handy enough, it could be a good buy.

I don't know, I paid $2k for a non running white taco. Put a motor in it and it's been going strong for 5 years. A 4Runner is a hell of a lot nicer truck. Prolly not worth it if you take it to a mechanic but for someone handy enough, it could be a good buy.

Pretty much what I was thinkin...............

That is because you didn't expect it would need an engine. You were hoping for a simple fix, like new starter contacts.

I found me a Taco yesterday. 1995 extra cab 4x4 V6 auto. One of those, "won't start, don't wanna fix it" deals for $2000:clap:. I have to find a way to arrange to have it hauled home today.
The seller told me that he ..."drove the truck about a 100yards and I lost power to my breaks and steering and the engine just shut off...." and the CEL did not come on. On a quick inspection yesterday, the battery has power, the starter clicks like it needs contacts. There doesn't seem to any sign of any major problems. Hopefully, I can have it up and running shortly:steer:.
The ad is already taken down so I don't have pics yet.:meh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom