Good deal on a 93 cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking at a 93 land cruiser that I might buy tomorrow if it is a good buildout platform. Also need it though to take friends around town and stuff so it will double up.

It is a 1993 with front and rear lockers, rebuilt front axle, 4 inch suspension lift, upgraded wheels and tires, replaced head gasket radiator phh hose and a number of other things under the hood, the list goes on and on.

My biggest concern is the mileage. It clocks in at 270,000 miles right now. I know cruisers can last longer than that but I'm a bit skeptical. Asking price is 9500 which might make sense with all the upgrades but I'm just wondering, in your guys' opinion will I be able to get another 100,000 or so miles out of a rig like this if I take good care of it?

Last thing I want is for it to crap out on me in a year or something. Like I said it looks good, lot of upgrades, I took it for a test drive and it works fine and the seller seems like he knows what he is doing and has taken good care of it but I'm still cautious about the miles.

thanks

Craigslist ad:
1993 LandCruiser factory locked 37 MTR

Enough leg room for you, Marvin Webster? ;)

Platform for a build out? Looks to me like a totally built out, dedicated off road machine. With that in mind, hard to imagine why you'd be worried about 100k more miles, as a DD it is not. He'd probably take a bit less-I say go for it. :steer:

That's in the ballpark, for sure. 270K is nothing if all of that stuff was done right and torfab has a good reputation. Go ahead and buy it if you like it.

Looks good, for about 7500 its a great deal jmo i shopped 80s all over the us and settled on the one i currently have. 37s andstock motor is a tough one in anyplace but sea level. jus sayn

Yeah it is definitely equipped for offroad travel but I am thinking about removing all seats except for the front two and building a wooden platform back there for storage and sleeping. Me and a buddy want to take it overland from Los Angeles to Cabo and then probably farther into Mexico on a different trip. So perhaps buildout platform wasn't the right wording but that is kind of what I am looking to do with it.

Yeah it is definitely equipped for offroad travel but I am thinking about removing all seats except for the front two and building a wooden platform back there for storage and sleeping. Me and a buddy want to take it overland from Los Angeles to Cabo and then probably farther into Mexico on a different trip. So perhaps buildout platform wasn't the right wording but that is kind of what I am looking to do with it.

I think a cloth one is a $7000-$7500

Everything hard has been done. The big tires might cause problems on a long trip, but that rig is already about as built as you could be underneath and in the engine bay without adding tons of weight for racks, bumpers and the like. If you are planning on an overland rig, I would consider a RTT before your plan because it just makes it easier to use the space inside the rig rather than having to account for your sleeping place. Drawers are nice, but the ones that leave the back seats in are preferable as it gives you more options. If you are going to live out of it, the RTT will be nice.

Follow up question. The guy I am purchasing from said he disabled the emissions when he had some work done but it can't pass emissions tests. Any thoughts on that?

Follow up question. The guy I am purchasing from said he disabled the emissions when he had some work done but it can't pass emissions tests. Any thoughts on that?
Probably the EGR. While it's a good move for the health of the truck, if it's getting tested, the gub'mint is going to want to see that hooked up. If he just did the jumper wire, all you have to do is reconnect it. If he pulled it all, that is going to cost a few bucks to fix.

Looks like the PAIR system and possibly the EGR were removed. Neither should affect the emissions tests in WA. Ask for the last emissions "pass" result or ask the seller to run it through emissions so that you can be confident it will pass before you buy.

I've seen that ad the last couple weeks, if I was in the hunt I'd check it out myself.

You in King county? If you're not tailpipe tested like me up here (Skagit), the emissions is a non-issue really. I'd be more concerned how he did it, and if tou need to pay for new ones if in King/Sno counties.

I'd be on that like white on rice! I have a 93 just like it. The mods seem well planned out. It's no boulevard cruiser but that's not what you want. I agree it's not a first choice d driver. Mine went to 316000 and needed a head gasket and was burning oil so I swapped in a fresher motor trans n t case. This will be good for another 100 000 km I hope. Still on original starter alt etc. just spent 5 days off roading on the shield and super ruff mining roads. Comfy and air condition on etc. the cloth seats in mine are v good. Keep your eyes open for a motor at some point

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I've seen that ad the last couple weeks, if I was in the hunt I'd check it out myself.

You in King county? If you're not tailpipe tested like me up here (Skagit), the emissions is a non-issue really. I'd be more concerned how he did it, and if tou need to pay for new ones if in King/Sno counties.

The seller told me himself that he had disabled the emissions and that it would not pass an emissions test, which is a requirement for registration in King County, where I live. He said he removed some vacuum hoses and capped some metal tubes with rubber plugs. Any ideas about what parts he is referring to or how much it would cost to reverse this? I'm really interested in the vehicle if I can just figure out this emissions problem

^^^Nope. I'm strictly a later 1FZ guy by what I owned.

I'd have him re-hook it back up, or knock off some $$ for Torfab to get you tailpipe test ready.

Get the free FSM & see the vac hose routing there, that would be my move if I was you & getting a early 1FZ.

I just know the late emissions that toss the PO401 code, the 450 & my black one got all new parts to perm ditch seeing a check engine light b/c of 401.

Just ask him if he removed the PAIR system or the EGR or both and what he did. The PAIR system often gets pulled and people plug their O2 sensors into the spots it went and some people pull the EGR and block where it comes out of the head. If you need all of those, ask @arcteryx. I am sure he has all of it. If you buy it from Toyota, it will be spendy, but there are plenty of people that will sell you those parts after they removed them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom