going with 350, which tranny? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I have finally decided to go ahead with the 350 swap and now I am debating what tranny to put behind it. I'm thinking the sm420 or 465. What do you guys think?

why not a th350 or th400?? isn't the 700r computer controlled?

TH350 or TH400 are not overdrive transmissions

700r4's are TH350's (more or less) with overdrive.

4L60Es are overdrive an computer controlled.

H41 or H55f with a Mark's 4wd adapter for a stick. Get the H55f if you will be DD it a lot.

For an auto, I would do a 700R4.

A 350/H41/Orion combo would be a nice setup. Throw-in the H55f and you would have one sweet street/wheeling combo rig.

Stay away from the dumptruck trannies unless you are going to be strictly offroad.

Jeremy

NV4500

700R4 or 4L60E for driveability; SM420 for simplicity. An auto will give you plenty of gear reduction in first.

This really depends on tire size, gearing, future plans, etc. Normally, I'd say NV4500 if manual and 700r4 if auto. But, I have a NV4500, 37 inch tires, and stock 4.11 gearing. With these tall tires, I don't need or use 5th gear much at all, even on the interstate at 70 mph. I'll probably go lower geared in the diffs some day when money allows--so I may appreciate the 5th gear then. Its something to think about.

If you do go 4 speed, don't do the SM420--too much of a dump truck feel to me. I'd go Toyota 4 speed, or maybe SM465 (I have no experience with this tranny).

Also, auto's are really nice offroad.

I'm running stock '75 gears, 33s, Downey adapter kit, and the Toy 4speed behind a 350TBI. I'll let everyone know how it is......once installed. I'd like an NV4500 someday or the H55F.

Last edited:
I'm running stock '75 gears, 33s, and the Toy 4speed behind a 350TBI. I'll let everyone know how it is......once installed. I'd like an NV4500 someday or the H55F.

It's not bad. Mine had plenty of power with that setup on 34" TSL, but it could definitely use a lower first gear. I'll probably install an H41 eventually since I already have the bellhousing.

Our 40 has the 420, i recomend the 465. 420 has an extremely low granny gear, almost 1.xx lower than the 465. But the dump truck feel is always apparent, and the on road behavior is all but great. The 465has better road capabilities with a better spread of the gears, but lacks the superman strenght associated with the 420. Bomb proof would dictate the 420/465, lazy (nothing wrong with that)and strong with better on road handling would dictate the 700R4 or Th350...

I detest the NV4500, cant stand to drive the one we have! Gears are tighter than a cats ass!

Sm465

i run an SM465 and its might stout and heavy! it is stuggish and no speed shifter by anymeans but my 40 is not a camaro either..

i would ask yourself what kind of offroad you will be doing and how much?

i was headstrong on my manuals until i drove an automatic rock crawling. they kind of free up a leg and arm and make it like driving a go-cart instead of a tractor.

It all depends on what you want if its low gears with a short drivetrain i would go with the sm420 if you want an auto i would go with the overdrive just think about what you are going to use it for the most. Any of the swaps take a great bit of planning and money so once you pick one its harder to change to another

The 465has better road capabilities with a better spread of the gears, but lacks the superman strenght associated with the 420.

Actually i think the SM465 is stronger. I was told that the digits after the SM represent the amount of torque in foot pounds the tranny is rated for.

so breaking either the 420/465 would take some trying.

the 420 does have the ridiculous first gear... I think its 7.05 but not sure.
majority of the time i dont even start out in first on the 465 which is 6.55 so i am sure its the same with the 420. But the 420 gives a better crawl ratio.:grinpimp:

Hey liljlandon just yank it and send it to me!

I'm pretty happy with my TH400, and it's pretty much indestructible. My only complaint is it requires a lot of gear reduction in other areas for the rocks because of it's high first gear.

my .02 ...I have the 420 with 411 gears. not bad but first gear IS useless for all but the narliest trails. I hate to admit this, but my friend (crawlnsnots):flipoff2: has one of the best setups I have personal driven. A SM465 with 4.88 gears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom