Help with tranny leak (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ll replace this seal going to the front driveshaft, but still leaks.
Any tips on my next move?

2288037C-7CA7-49E3-BA3F-A37C07151B8F.jpeg

Check the pressure relief valve. If it's clogged, the pressure generated inside the differential will blow seals. (*Experience)

Make sure you seal the splines on the output flange. If you don't, there is nothing to keep the oil from running down the splines.

Last edited:
Your sure it is gear oil and not engine oil? Engine pan bolts look wet, that oil will blow and collect on low surfaces.

Above advice is great, but don't forget to make sure the output bearing is not worn out. Most seal failures that pop up can be attributed to a worn bearing causing excessive shaft play and eventually wearing out the seal. With the front axle disengaged, see if you can move the driveshaft side to side. Any play in that direction will indicate a worn bearing.

Above advice is great, but don't forget to make sure the output bearing is not worn out. Most seal failures that pop up can be attributed to a worn bearing causing excessive shaft play and eventually wearing out the seal. With the front axle disengaged, see if you can move the driveshaft side to side. Any play in that direction will indicate a worn bearing.
Thanks, but wouldn’t the front shaft have to be spinning for a bad bearing to initiate a leak? I haven’t had it in four-wheel-drive in forever.
I forgot to mention that upon installing a new seal, I found some wear on the output flange shaft. I’m going to replace that next.

Thanks, but wouldn’t the front shaft have to be spinning for a bad bearing to initiate a leak? I haven’t had it in four-wheel-drive in forever.
I forgot to mention that upon installing a new seal, I found some wear on the output flange shaft. I’m going to replace that next.
You are correct...I was unaware you hadn't used the front axle since you changed the seal. Sounds like you may have a groove in the seal surface of the yoke that may be the culprit? If it's a bad enough groove, it may leak from just sitting.

I've never used a speedy sleeve, but they have been around forever and I'm sure they work when installed correctly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom