Glass Breakage Sensor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've had windows broken and things stolen from my Cruiser 3 times now. They never open the doors. Instead they break one or 2 windows and reach in. Most recently they got a couple of tool bags and a backpack which together were worth $1,500 maybe. With a 1k deductible on homeowner's insurance it isn't worth the hassle and time of making a claim.

Toyota offers a Glass Breakage Sensor to add to the factory alarm which I didn't get when I bought the Cruiser. I wondered how hard they were to put in and if anyone had experience with how effective they are?

The GBS is Toyota Part No.: PT398-60081 which lists for $180 but I've found on the internet for $130. It looks like you just plug it in to the existing harness and adjust the sensitivity of the mic which supposedly is tuned to the sound of glass breaking.

Last edited:
I'm also interested in knowing what the costs are to upgrade. I would bet that the car is already pre-wired for it, and that it just needs to be enabled somehow.

I installed this a while back. Follow the directions and it is very well integrated and effective. As long as you set the mic sensitivity correctly (I didn’t at first) a simple tap on the glass with a screwdriver will set it off.

As for difficulty of install, it depends on your competence level, but it isn’t too hard if you have some experience with turning wrenches. I believe the instructions have been posted in this section before if you want an idea of what you are getting into. You will need to remove the glove box and passenger knee airbag, so some plastic trim tools are very useful. Otherwise it plugs into existing connectors on the harness and even includes the zip ties for correct wire routing/retention.

Zero regrets with this mod.

I'm also interested in knowing what the costs are to upgrade. I would bet that the car is already pre-wired for it, and that it just needs to be enabled somehow.
Sorry didn't see your post. The harness to integrate it into the main body harness is there, but you are adding the brain, a ground wire that goes across the dash crossmember near the center stack, and a microphone that gets taped to the top of the plastic panel above the passenger feet.

Ok, I found a link which has the instructions and attached the 16+ for easy reference

Attachments

• 18_my16 land cruiser glass breakage sensor issa.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 130
@NMNORSSE If you are going that route, might as well install the Naviplus unit and get CarPlay.

I installed the GBS on my 2015. It was relatively straight forward with the install instructions but damn one does need to remove a lot of the interior panels. It it at the same time I did the tap relay sensor.

This work on earlier LX's? 2008-2011?

I installed the GBS on my 2015. It was relatively straight forward with the install instructions but damn one does need to remove a lot of the interior panels. It it at the same time I did the tap relay sensor.

What‘s a tap relay sensor?

What‘s a tap relay sensor?

Thanks. Unfortunately, doesn’t look like they offer one for late model LX’s.

Also, I am looking into a Naviplus after reading sherman’s suggestion above. Although their website doesn’t list availability for a late model LX, we’re exchanging emails now and I am hoping for good news.

I‘m not looking forward to a lot of work to install a GBS. But maybe if I could get CarPlay also I would. I’ve installed a BT45-TOY from USA SPEC in both our 2001 LX and our 2003 LC and although the upgrade was very rewarding, it wasn’t a lot of fun. But then again, I know that I’m the lazy type. This accessory was/is great as it seamlessly integrates my iPhone with the existing audio system, allowing for, for example, answering an incoming call, hands free, as the streaming music is halted.

FYI... negotiated this a few years ago, bud didn't end up purchasing from this dealer.

glass-remote.png

Can anyone on this thread explain where to access, and how to adjust the GBS sensitivity on a 2017+ 200 series? We just got hit with significant hail and it didn't go off.

Can anyone on this thread explain where to access, and how to adjust the GBS sensitivity on a 2017+ 200 series? We just got hit with significant hail and it didn't go off.
The box is accessible from the passenger footwell, either via removing the plastic panel under the blower motor or maybe the triangular piece of plastic on the end of the dashboard. That just pulls off sideways. It is a black box about 3” long with a wire harness into it, mounted on a metal bracket. Should be the only electronic stuff mounted in the end of the dash itself.

On the box there is a small flathead screw that dials up or down the sensitivity. Per the install instructions the test is to tap the passenger side window with the tip of a key. I don’t remember the default recommended setting but it worked for me. The sound it looks for is very specific.. not sure whether it’s so specific to not be triggered by hail though.

Wait. Am I reading this thread right? So, if a guy comes to my LC MY18 in the parking lot, breaks one of the windows and steals my stuff the alarm won't go off?? Only if they (somehow) are able to open the locked door? How crazy is that? It 98% defeats the purpose of having an alarm.

Wait. Am I reading this thread right? So, if a guy comes to my LC MY18 in the parking lot, breaks one of the windows and steals my stuff the alarm won't go off?? Only if they (somehow) are able to open the locked door? How crazy is that? It 98% defeats the purpose of having an alarm.
You may not be reading it right. The OP who had stuff stolen through a broken window did not have the glass breakage sensor. Does your LC have one?

You may not be reading it right. The OP who had stuff stolen through a broken window did not have the glass breakage sensor. Does your LC have one?
I have no idea. Does it come standard from the factory? If it doesn't, I do not think I have one.

I have no idea. Does it come standard from the factory? If it doesn't, I do not think I have one.
Not standard, but some dealers install it.

If you do, there should be this extra sticker on the front door windows

0ED22666-840B-4020-92C7-283DE3F5B2D4.jpeg

Does anyone pay attention to car alarms since about 1980? :) I can't remember the last time one went off and anyone gave it a second glance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom